Options

England to Scotland flight with expired passport?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
Forum Member
If I'm a British Citizen with an out of date passport, will I be let on a flight to Scotland? I'm aware this could be done years ago, but I'm not sure if the rules have changed.

Any post welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The airline will require some photo ID ...so check with them what required...
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    You need photo ID to travel (Although they don't check all the time), So a drivers licence will do. As for an expired passport i would check with the airline
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    That's pretty much what I thought- Thanks
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    BA never check (well, once in about 250 flights) but other airlines may need photo ID
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you really need a passport for an internal flight?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member

RyanAir insist on it! No other form of photo ID accepted by them - even on Domestic flights!
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Much less common these days, due to Photo ID being acceptable, but sometimes they did used to insist in case an aircraft had to be diverted and ended up in another country that demanded a passport.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Virgin you only need photo ID if you check-in luggage. If you only have hand luggage, they don't ask for ID.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Legally, no but Ryanair do insist. On BA and Easyjet I always travel with a just driving licence on internal flights but they hardly ever check them,
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check the airlines website, each airline will have different policies on what they will accept as photo id.

I know flybe on domestic flights will accept expired passports (up to two years after expiry).
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Better get used to it, flights to Scotland may not be internal for much longer.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Better get used to it, flights to Scotland may not be internal for much longer.

You still don't need a passport to fly to the Republic of Ireland (except with Ryanair) and they have been independent for decades. Scotland would surely join the Common Travel Area with the rest of the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    FlyBE accept expired passports as valid photo ID on domestic flights. I've done it between Soton and Edinburgh.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    RyanAir insist on it! No other form of photo ID accepted by them - even on Domestic flights!

Ryanair accept driving licenses:-

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/do-i-need-a-visa/
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Scotland would surely join the Common Travel Area with the rest of the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

All depends on whether Scotland is in Europe and their immigration policy once independent.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was of the opinion that in most, if not all, cases an EXPIRED passport counts as much as having NO passport at all. When you check with the airline make sure you make that clear. But even then you're counting on the person who checks your ID on the day of travel having the same interpretation of the company's policy as the person who you speak to on the phone, which isn't always the case.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I fly to Glasgow I just take my provisional driving licence as my ID, but it's only been checked once and that was when we were checking in luggage.