Options

Your Perfect Sausage Sandwich

Dave 8o]Dave 8o] Posts: 1,660
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As it's nearly Christmas I decided to get a sausage sandwich from the canteen at work, yuk. They got it wrong in so many ways, what a far cry from the canteen at our old office, they did them as near to perfect as you can get.

Everyone's idea of a perfect sausage sandwich, this is mine:
  • One Current Teacake, toasted on the inside buttered with Lurpak. (yes currants)
  • 2 sausages, preferably the ones that only caterers can get.
  • 1 hash brown
  • one sachet of tomato ketchup
  • Important: the sausages should not be sliced in half and the teacake should be kept whole.
  • Wash down with a strong, milky cup of tea, 2 sugars.
What's your perfect sausage sandwich?

Comments

• Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That isnt a sausage sandwich. Thats a sausage and potato sandwich in a current bun !!!!

I love sausage sarnies. I like to fry the sausages, and i do cut them in half so the cut half goes crispy in the pan.

I like fresh white bread, and two sausages per sarnie. I like a little brown sause on the bread, and a scraping of butter.

Perfect :D
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White bread - the kind freshly baked in-store.
    The finest quality sausages that Tesco sells - Finest or Porkinson etc. 2 per round.
    Thinly sliced cheddar cheese.
    Real mayonnaise.
    A little Lurpak or real butter.

Leave the sausages to cool until they are just very warm, slice in half, and then make sandwich. The trick is for the cheese to warm slightly, but NOT melt.

Yum! :)
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Dave wrote:
    ;20268748']Everyone's idea of a perfect sausage sandwich, this is mine:
    • One Current Teacake, toasted on the inside buttered with Lurpak. (yes currants)

You lost me with the currant bun! Beyond disgusting!

My favourite way of eating them is with white bread and sausages!
  • Options
    NealeNeale Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with sotek ;)

white bread, sausages, HP brown sauce.

Though if I am really fussy, cumberland/licolnshire/some other great sausages sliced in half :)

better than a bacon buttie imo :o:o:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    I had a sausage breakfast burger thing from Burger King on Wednesday. Although the sausage itself was a bit scary to look at, all curled round like a long curly turd, it tasted surprisingly nice.
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although the sausage itself was a bit scary to look at, all curled round like a long curly turd

Just as this thread was giving me a taste for a nice sausage sandwich I find I have lost it again ;)
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sausages & chilli con carne in pitta - yum!
  • Options
    broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    Just go the whole hog.... Sausage, bacon, egg, mushrooms, black pudding, beans, fried onion and ketchup all served in a stottie....... Heart attack in a bun they called it here. I used to get them a few years back at the 'scran van' next to the college.

I've mellowed out since though.
  • Options
    Dave 8o]Dave 8o] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    You lost me with the currant bun! Beyond disgusting!

My favourite way of eating them is with white bread and sausages!

Hey if people can put pineapple on pizza :confused:, I can have currants in my sausage sarnie :D. It's not as bad as you'd think, in fact I managed to convert a few colleagues at my old place.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two sausages, fresh white bread, a thin cheese slice, a bit of butter and a bit of ketchup. But it altogether and cut diagonally down the middle. Hmmm lovely. I want one now :D
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    broonale wrote: »
    Just go the whole hog....

that would take quite a loaf!!! :eek:

and also... wouldn't the trotters be a bit crunchy?
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    1 French bred bun
    2 true pork sausages from the local butcher (none of this processed supermarket shite)
    1 Small shallot diced and fried

assemble

optional Tomato Ketchup (The only sauce that should be used as it enhances meat flavor!..true..fact.)

done
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    sotek wrote: »
    Just as this thread was giving me a taste for a nice sausage sandwich I find I have lost it again ;)

Mwahahaha! ;)
  • Options
    MartinJMartinJ Posts: 10,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 of the butchers finest sausages, fried - not grilled (this is so important).
    2 pieces of sliced white bread, spread with vitalite.
    place sausages in between bread and dribble with Jamaican hot sauce.

Eat with a hot cup of tea (milk in first, no sugar).
  • Options
    cuttysarkcuttysark Posts: 1,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Dave wrote:
    [*]Important: the sausages should not be sliced in half and the teacake should be kept whole.

Apart from the obvious disgust at currant teacake and sausage:eek::eek:. My question is, and it's an important one.
    How do you toast and butter the inside of a teacake that's been kept whole? :confused:
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bread + butter + sausage. Nothing else. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't this involve Man U players? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a perfect sausage sandwich once.

Last October (2006) I was going Urban Exploring in a derelict asylum. My Mother made us a packed lunch and the main part of it was a wonderful sausage sandwich. It had lashings of real butter, but the best part was that the sausage was from the local butcher where all of the ingredients were local, and it had a wonderful seasoning. No "filler" in it at all, but it was very light.

I can still taste it, and remember photographically, sitting there and eating it amongst the rubble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :(

You call it Urban Exploring, I call it criminal trespass!

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MartinJ wrote: »

I'm happy for you.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oinster wrote: »
    I'm happy for you.

Yay, I fell all warm and cosy inside now.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid that sounds disgusting! For me, cumberland sausage griddled on my conveyer belt cooking method, in white bread. Simple yet devine. :D
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the sausage:

Yer normal supermarket sausage cook really well in a George Foreman (or similar) machine - Richmond ones are especially good. Eight minutes cooking.

For the better quality sausages you can often get I have recently learnt the following technique.

Plenty of vegetable oil in the pan, heat then add the sausage/s and cover over a high heat.

When then begin to splutter and spit turn the heat down (1/3 to 1/2) and leave for one minute, then turn the sausage and leave for one more minute. Turn the heat off but leave the pan over the source (still covered) for two minutes. The sausage will be nicely done, juicy and not burnt.

Good fresh proper bread (white or brown).

A good tomato sauce, a good pepper sauce or a combo of brown sauce and English mustard.

A treat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinJ wrote: »

I'm all for the law, but proper UEers will take sole responsibility for their own safety and do no damage and do nothing but explore and take pictures. I myself am fascinated by urban decay and would love to do it. Anyone who does any damage or anything is just a vandal.

As for sausage sarnies - it has to be good quality sausages from the butchers, but cheap soft white bread seems to work best. No butter or anything.

And brown sauce. It has to be brown! Daddies for preference, but HP or Heinz is good too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for the law, but proper UEers will take sole responsibility for their own safety and do no damage and do nothing but explore and take pictures. I myself am fascinated by urban decay and would love to do it. Anyone who does any damage or anything is just a vandal.

As for sausage sarnies - it has to be good quality sausages from the butchers, but cheap soft white bread seems to work best.

And brown sauce. It has to be brown!

Now your first point is all valid and acceptable - but sorry, Brown Sauce!

Yuk yuk yukkyty - I hate the stuff.