Options

Favourite Cinematic Stirring Moments

2»

Comments

• Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other ROTK moment that gets me is Theodin's battle cry at Pelenor Fields, it's a bit less optimistic than Aragorn's:
    "Forth! Down fear of darkness! Arise! Arise, Riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... and the sun rises! Ride now... Ride now... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending! Death!"

Can you tell I've got a thing for pre-battle speeches?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love these.

All Roy Hobbs Baseball bits in The Natural
    - when he strikes out the whammer
    - when he hits his first practice ball
    - when he hits the final winner.
    - and all the others!

When Secretariat wins the Belmont by 31 lengths in Secretariat
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most recent one I can recall is the cast of Les Miserable singing 'do you hear the people sing' at the barricades, even had the lads sitting near me singing their heads off.
  • Options
    TedBovisTedBovis Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Tom Brown's fight with Flashman.
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The helicopter rescue scene. Superman the Movie (1978).
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    The helicopter rescue scene. Superman the Movie (1978).

Yes. Just hearing the start of John Williams theme as Clark realises what's going on gets me going.
  • Options
    marsha_Cutiepiemarsha_Cutiepie Posts: 9,721
    Forum Member
    Empire of the Sun, as young Jim salutes the young Japanese pilot who on his first flight ultimately plummets to his death, while the haunting Suo Gan is playing in the background, its a very, very moving scene!
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other ROTK moment that gets me is Theodin's battle cry at Pelenor Fields, it's a bit less optimistic than Aragorn's:

Can you tell I've got a thing for pre-battle speeches?

Yes that was the part I was watching recently - it reminds me a bit of ?Henry V and Laurence Olivier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stand off at the end of The Good The Bad And The Ugly
  • Options
    nicklbnicklb Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    "I am gladiator" and in a few good men Jack Nicholson" you want the truth, you can't handle the truth!"
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Braveheart - Death of Wallace - FREEDOM!

Rocky when Rocky calls out for Adrian after the fight.

Schnindler's List when at the end of the movie you see the real life survivors place stones on Schindler's grave. Or when he cries right near the end.

The Journey of Natty Gann where she finds her father but think she loses him again only for him to come around the corner.

the Shawshank Redemption - Dufresne locks himself in the warden's office and plays that beautiful aria to the other prisoners in the yard.

The Incredible Journey. Old Bodger survived after all!

also found this when scouring Youtube and it broke my heart a little.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXLbyb-3Vl8
    and Now I need to find the whole movie.
  • Options
    Geeza BrakeGeeza Brake Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    The bit in Glory where the previously racist and dismissive soldiers lead the cheers as the 54th Regiment go into battle in the final scenes.

In fact, Glory stirs the blood from start to finish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Totally with Geeza Brake on "Glory" it has what is Matthew Broderick's stand out performance of his career, Morgan and Denzel just being generally brilliant, Ed Zwick Directing, great story and set pieces, and a very emotional score. I always recommend it to people, and none of them have ever watched it and said they didn't enjoy it. Won Denzel his first Oscar for Best Supporting Actor aswell. great movie.
  • Options
    FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Great thread!

The scene in "Cabaret" in the cafe where the handsome young blond boy sings "tomorrow belongs to me" - the crowd join in - and you see the Nazi symbol on his arm (?) at the end.

Gladiator - Maximus speech "father of a murdered son etc........"

Madame X - where her son realises its his mother in the dock.

Stand By Me - where the writer updates at the end that his friend Chris Chambers was stabbed and killed.

Shawshank - the aria over the prison yard.

The Exorcist - where Ellen Burstyn says "that thing upstairs isint my daughter"

and lastly and Im embarrassed to say this - my guilty pleasure

The scene at the end in Dirty Dancing where Johnny makes the speech and they start dancing to "Time of my LIfe".....................jeezuz corny but I luvvit!:D