Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    OMG! I've just seen his response to you. That is the most ugly, profane thing I have ever seen on FB. I take it back - he isn't an idiot. He is dangerously unhinged.

I wonder who runs that FB page?

Incredibly foul. There are some scary people out there. I worry for my children and their not yet children and the human race in general. This is not for discussion, just an observation.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl and Mofromco,

While I've thought of several snappy comebacks as well as bold truths, I figure this guy has shot himself in the foot and shown who he is with his remarks if anyone else reads his post and it is best not to further engage him.

Takes all kinds, or maybe he's just the worst kind of troll, as Biffpup mentions.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    OMG! I've just seen his response to you. That is the most ugly, profane thing I have ever seen on FB. I take it back - he isn't an idiot. He is dangerously unhinged.

I wonder who runs that FB page?
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Incredibly foul. There are some scary people out there. I worry for my children and their not yet children and the human race in general. This is not for discussion, just an observation.
    Shop Girl and Mofromco,

While I've thought of several snappy comebacks as well as bold truths, I figure this guy has shot himself in the foot and shown who he is with his remarks if anyone else reads his post and it is best not to further engage him.

Takes all kinds, or maybe he's just the worst kind of troll, as Biffpup mentions.

I would report this person just based on the language used.

You can click on the 'remove' or 'hide' X on his comments and some choices will come up to report him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Typical Brit cowards by doing something so backhanded it in a split second. If it weren't for us they be speaking fluent German by now. At least Liz could go back to her real German last name.

Well, that's not very nice. We're not cowards. :(

Bloody idiot. :rolleyes:

Okay, those who wanted the latest spoiler pictures.... here you go! (I uploaded them to an image hosting website for you)
    Bonfire on beach
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3475/pxnf.jpg

MC outside surgery
    http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3131/c6am.jpg

MC and CC outside surgery
    http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/3541/snka.jpg

MC and PB outside surgery
    http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/5264/fuat.jpg

More of the bonfire
    http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2821/s2wi.jpg

CC with school kids (maybe sports day prep)
    http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6676/57tc.jpg

MC outside airport
    http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5270/dzc9.jpg

CC with school kids part 2
    http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9591/9nck.jpg

This one is a surprise
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8436/hywh.jpg

What are your thoughts? Dm is wearing ANOTHER different suit, that is 3 we have seen of him at the hospital, one with him carrying LG, and one with him by a hospital bed and this one now with these people. SO my guess is either Louisa is staying a few nights, or they filmed him going to see her immediately after the crash. She does look lovely though doesn't she? :p

Please note: None of the images are mine, they are from other people.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl and Mofromco,

Isn't there a way to report abusive comments? His comments certainly fit the bill. Talk about "vile'! Responding to trolls is like poking at a bee's nest with a stick. Also, he is clearly unhinged.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Don't take me wrong, I also wasn't happy about Louisa's behaviour, to put it mildly. And partly I think you're right that it was post-partum depression.
    But the writers had put both of them in a very difficult situation. They had stood each other up nine months earlier. She had hidden her preganancy from him for six months. They had three months of bickering. They had never ever lived together before, and now they were thrown together as a young family with a baby with very good lungs and therefore parents with very little sleep with the departure of the father hanging over them like the sword of Damocles.
    I guess it would be very difficult for anyone not to be tensed up in a situation like this, and even more so for these two difficult characters.

This is exactly my take on this, BodminDM. There's also the intrusion of Eleanor, which seems to have upset whatever delicate reconciliation that might have been occurring, despite all the obstacles you laid out so well.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S4 and 5 she was a very difficult person herself while showing a fair amount of personal vulnerability (being insecure driving her thoughts and words) particularly about the Doc and her pregnancy, and then again her reaction when Mum shows up, for example.

While I absolutely had compassion for her situation all through the two series, knowing her vulnerabilities, at the same time, particularly because of the baby, I just wanted to slap some sense into her.

LG was much more sensible and relatively well-adjusted in the first 3 series it seems to me. So much so that she had the courage to call off the wedding when she had doubts. After that, baby made things much more complicated for both her and the Doc over S4 and 5.

And I think that is part of the brilliance of the writing and acting. And why many of us have gotten so involved. We do get a balanced picture of each character, the good and the bad in each, not just a one dimensional caricature as well as real life situations.

Wow, Robspace and others--LG is a very problematic character throughout the series. While I think they at first wanted her to be this well-adjusted pretty teacher, I think they soon realized she would also, as is DM, be much more interesting and cause much more chaos if she had flaws of her own. And, she does!

I don't think LG was ever that well adjusted at all in terms of a relationship--in terms of being a teacher, a Head Mistress, a friend and such, yes, well adjusted in those roles. But, as a girlfriend, no.

LG enters into a relationship with views it must be "this" way, and the man must act or speak "that" way. She is super oversensitive to so many situations. One of her largest flaws in a relationship is her lack of humor; we only see her having one when she puts on the nose sleeping aid in the restaurant, and there, on her lips is a little smirk, when DM softly states it should just be worn at night. She also cannot communicate well at all when her feelings are upset. She has abandonment issues. She isn't a very good cook and has overall a bad diet, and a real sweet tooth. She is also way overly susceptible to others opinions, such as the midwife, and such as everyone doubting DM as a husband while she sat at home during S4 finales, when DM spent the finale busting his butt to make everything perfect for her.

If LG had some sense of humor, better communication and more acceptance for DM (a la, perhaps Edith?), things could have been a lot smoother and I think DM would have grown quicker. Simple shaking her head humorously and saying "Martin, when we are kissing, it's bad form to mention bad breath. Please don't do so again, and let's get back to kissing," might have taught DM more quickly and effectively ways and means of how to kiss a woman. OR, you have a fit of hysteria and push the man you love out of the taxi, leaving him clueless, and destined to repeat his mistake.

I think it's great that LG has so many issues herself as a character. She's more interesting, their relationship is even more shaky, and, thus, it helped give us many more years of the show!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Wow, Robspace and others--LG is a very problematic character throughout the series. While I think they at first wanted her to be this well-adjusted pretty teacher, I think they soon realized she would also, as is DM, be much more interesting and cause much more chaos if she had flaws of her own. And, she does!

I don't think LG was ever that well adjusted at all in terms of a relationship--in terms of being a teacher, a Head Mistress, a friend and such, yes, well adjusted in those roles. But, as a girlfriend, no.

LG enters into a relationship with views it must be "this" way, and the man must act or speak "that" way. She is super oversensitive to so many situations. One of her largest flaws in a relationship is her lack of humor; we only see her having one when she puts on the nose sleeping aid in the restaurant, and there, on her lips is a little smirk, when DM softly states it should just be worn at night. She also cannot communicate well at all when her feelings are upset. She has abandonment issues. She isn't a very good cook and has overall a bad diet, and a real sweet tooth. She is also way overly susceptible to others opinions, such as the midwife, and such as everyone doubting DM as a husband while she sat at home during S4 finales, when DM spent the finale busting his butt to make everything perfect for her.

If LG had some sense of humor, better communication and more acceptance for DM (a la, perhaps Edith?), things could have been a lot smoother and I think DM would have grown quicker. Simple shaking her head humorously and saying "Martin, when we are kissing, it's bad form to mention bad breath. Please don't do so again, and let's get back to kissing," might have taught DM more quickly and effectively ways and means of how to kiss a woman. OR, you have a fit of hysteria and push the man you love out of the taxi, leaving him clueless, and destined to repeat his mistake.

I think it's great that LG has so many issues herself as a character. She's more interesting, their relationship is even more shaky, and, thus, it helped give us many more years of the show!

For the most part I agree with you, Mona, but you lost me when you mentioned the S4 finale, which was Doc packing up to leave for London, getting sidetracked at the harbor festival, heading out to the moor, the wreck in the taxi, and the birth at the pub. So I'm not sure what you meant when you said she sat at home and he made everything perfect for her. Maybe you could clarify that bit.

But, back to the rest of your post, I actually like the fact that both of our main characters are flawed. I think it may be a big portion of what draws them to each other. And then, of course, it's what causes their clashes, resulting in their pulling apart. Back and forth. Fascinating stuff.

I do think Louisa has abandonment issues. It's why she's the one who keeps initiating the break-ups. Everyone deserted her during her childhood so now she runs before she can be hurt or deserted again. In fact, when you toss in Danny, we've seen her breaking up with men on a regular basis throughout all five series.

If both Martin and Louisa were completely well-adjusted and were able to seamlessly develop a healthy relationship, I think we would be bored (and this would be a completely different TV show). In fact, we're shown in the very first episode that we're dealing with two damaged personalities here. Doc thinks he's going to leave Portwenn. It just isn't for him. He walks by the school and looks in at Louisa. They gaze at each other for a moment. She's got a patch on her eye. He's got a bandage on his broken (I assume) nose. This is just screaming at us, in my opinion, broken and damaged people. How are they going to make it work? Will they ever be able to make it work? Stay tuned.

And we do!

What I dislike is the competition that I sometimes hear. I don't think it matters which one of them is more damaged, less flawed. What does matter is that these two very slowly, very gradually are learning, which gives us hope that they'll make a go of it, even if in a strange and squeaky way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BiffPup you have seen what I never did, and right in front of us. Yes, I knew they were both incomplete people, but... The eye patch and the nose bandage! OMG.

She is a runner, while he doggedly bulls on through what is before him. For if she breaks things off and high tails it, then no one can desert HER.

Right there, Series 1, Episode 1... Bam!!! Ouch
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    BiffPup you have seen what I never did, and right in front of us. Yes, I knew they were both incomplete people, but... The eye patch and the nose bandage! OMG.

She is a runner, while he doggedly bulls on through what is before him. For if she breaks things off and high tails it, then no one can desert HER.

Wow - I agree. Biff, you nailed it! Thinking about any other times either had any type of bandage. Martin in S4E1 had the bandage on his hand and the BT was in the process of changing it when Louisa showed up at the door. No bandage on her, but she had been physically changed - by him and him alone. Maybe I am overthinking now :D. But if you take Rob's take about her running and him barging ahead, we saw that on the airplane and again at the hotel. Louisa ran off before they could offer him the job and he barged right into the room banging his head because he was watching her run.

Oh, and I think Mona was referring to the S3 finale when Martin was doing everything he could to make the wedding happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    He walks by the school and looks in at Louisa. They gaze at each other for a moment. She's got a patch on her eye. He's got a bandage on his broken (I assume) nose. This is just screaming at us, in my opinion, broken and damaged people. How are they going to make it work? Will they ever be able to make it work? Stay tuned

Brilliant! I never thought of this scene that way - but this is why I keep reading this forum. To get inside I would never get otherwise.
    I also like that the show isn't rushing to solve this problem, one "big talk" then they hug, kiss, and you know the rest upstairs and both parties are miraculously cured from their lifetime issues.
    I value that during all these episodes we see that it is very hard work to act against the habits of a lifetime, that there are throwbacks and misunderstandings and doubts, but in the end their love might be stronger than everything that holds them back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    I would report this person just based on the language used.

You can click on the 'remove' or 'hide' X on his comments and some choices will come up to report him.

Thanks, Connie. I was wondering this morning if there wasn't a way to do it, similar to what I do with the sunglass ads. So now, I just did it.:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

Thanks, mm, for your additional comments on LG, etc. I feel like you nailed it all.
    I'm sure you meant S3 finale (the non-wedding) rather than S4. If not, I need clarification on that.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that's not very nice. We're not cowards. :(

Bloody idiot. :rolleyes:

My apologies, to Leanne and all our Brit forum friends, for the bloody American idiot's ridiculousness and idiocy and crudeness. :(

And I'll try my best not to suck into any more troll-like beings--although I sure do hate to let misinformation stand unchallenged. :o

Now let's consign him proverbially to the trash can his flag wasn't in! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ............. Stay tuned.

And we do!

What I dislike is the competition that I sometimes hear. I don't think it matters which one of them is more damaged, less flawed. What does matter is that these two very slowly, very gradually are learning, which gives us hope that they'll make a go of it, even if in a strange and squeaky way.

Ohhh, yessss!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just smacked my forehead as well. Well done, Biffpup! And yet another reason I am not done watching and re-watching this show. And thank heaven for this forum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hit you right in the nose, right? :D

Thank you for agreeing, btw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My apologies, to Leanne and all our Brit forum friends, for the bloody American idiot's ridiculousness and idiocy and crudeness. :(

And I'll try my best not to suck into any more troll-like beings--although I sure do hate to let misinformation stand unchallenged. :o

Now let's consign him proverbially to the trash can his flag wasn't in! ;)

That creep is a a disgusting, awful, horrible, and possibly dangerous nutcase. I too apologize to our British friends on this forum and elsewhere and hope you recognize that jerk as a wacko weird nutcase. And I've seen some crazy stuff on facebook, but he used words that I can't believe FB even allows to come through. Creepy.

I reported him too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what I'm trying to say!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just smacked my forehead as well. Well done, Biffpup! And yet another reason I am not done watching and re-watching this show. And thank heaven for this forum!

Could've had a V-8, right, and it's true; that's why I find this forum so fascinating and why I wonder about our lost friend dmbessotted. Yes, between series, we're talking over and over about the same scenes, but you friends at this forum from time to time help me see things I never considered, and that's why this is a fun place. Not boring at all for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

I'll have to give more thought to your intriguing list and will weigh in again, but in the meantime, I know of times when both Mark and Bert spoke FOR Martin. Mark said Louisa is "the girl of your dreams". At AJ's funeral, Bert stood next to Martin and said, "That woman meant everything to you." True and true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

I saw your post before it disappeared.
    I'd say Al represents the bright, smart young man that Doc was as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could've had a V-8, right, and it's true; that's why I find this forum so fascinating and why I wonder about our lost friend dmbessotted. Yes, between series, we're talking over and over about the same scenes, but you friends at this forum from time to time help me see things I never considered, and that's why this is a fun place. Not boring at all for me.

Good one!!!! Hadn't thought of that in years!
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That creep is a a disgusting, awful, horrible, and possibly dangerous nutcase. I too apologize to our British friends on this forum and elsewhere and hope you recognize that jerk as a wacko weird nutcase. And I've seen some crazy stuff on facebook, but he used words that I can't believe FB even allows to come through. Creepy.

I reported him too.

Usually the bozos who spout out the American bravado do it towards the French regarding the "they'd be speaking German if not for us" crap. So he even got that wrong. Nobody thinks that way towards the British. The British fought tooth and nail against the Germans. Plus, nobody could ever take away the English language from the British. They have given the world its most important language and they ALL make the best of it with their wonderful phrases and beautiful writers.

Plus, the British went in after the war to aid the concentration camp survivors. They are compassionate people and there are some deeply moving stories about that.

Regarding trolls, there is a new phrase going around: "Don't feed the trolls".

Sorry for the off topic rant, but that guy is an idiot and I have never heard anyone ever talk like that about Great Britain. Just wanted the British members to know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Usually the bozos who spout out the American bravado do it towards the French regarding the "they'd be speaking German if not for us" crap. So he even got that wrong. Nobody thinks that way towards the British. The British fought tooth and nail against the Germans. Plus, nobody could ever take away the English language from the British. They have given the world its most important language and they ALL make the best of it with their wonderful phrases and beautiful writers.

Plus, the British went in after the war to aid the concentration camp survivors. They are compassionate people and there are some deeply moving stories about that.

Regarding trolls, there is a new phrase going around: "Don't feed the trolls".

Sorry for the off topic rant, but that guy is an idiot and I have never heard anyone ever talk like that about Great Britain. Just wanted the British members to know that.
    +1 What a jerk.
This discussion has been closed.