Options

Big rise in profits for ITV

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
Due to an increase in advertising and an increase in earnings from ITV's production business, ITV studios.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28559300

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Due to an increase in advertising and an increase in earnings from ITV's production business, ITV studios.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28559300

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1742854
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »

These very good ITV profit figures suggest that thread is a bit redundant.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These very good ITV profit figures suggest that thread is a bit redundant.

No because the ratings are down if you read it and they blame itv 2 and itv3
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV (Family) has outperformed the advertising market in spite of its share of commercial impacts being down by 7%.

That implies an incredibly strong mix improvement / improved sales performance.

Would be interesting if anyone who understands this properly could have a go at explaining how that has been achieved.

World Cup would be an obvious factor but on its own that could only account for a small amount of the divergence.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Advertising revenue is up and the share of commercial viewing is up. So the crisis isn't really a crisis is it? If it it it's a crisis many businesses would like.

The real hit to the revenues of itv is the strength of sterling when it has an increasing revenue stream from both dollar and euro countries but that's a bit too abstract for DS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    ITV (Family) has outperformed the advertising market in spite of its share of commercial impacts being down by 7%.

That implies an incredibly strong mix improvement / improved sales performance.

Would be interesting if anyone who understands this properly could have a go at explaining how that has been achieved.

Just look at five being dropped by an advertising house recently and being no longer considered a must buy for brands such as mcDonalds. Share % is important but it's not the be all that the DS threads always make it out to be. It's about delivering the audience that advertisers want and at the times of the year when advertisers want them.

Try selling ice cream in February. You probably could sell quite a bit if you drop your price to close to zero but you ain't going to make any money given the costs of your inputs. Selling it in July in a heatwave though and you make a killing. Tv advertising is a lot like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But ratings go up and down and if ITV can increase profits despite one or two of their channels showing slightly smaller ratings this would suggest that they have revenue streams from a greater variety of sources than ever before.
    From a commercial point of view ITV are in a strong position.

"ITV has said it is on track to post a fifth successive year of double-digit profit growth, with interim results for the six months to the end of June revealing an 11% rise in profits to £322 million."
    http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2014/07/itv-revenues-profits-half-year-results/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you believe DS pundits lol itv should be bankrupt because of GMB and shareholders will be rioting at the AGM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Just look at five being dropped by an advertising house recently and being no longer considered a must buy for brands such as mcDonalds. Share % is important but it's not the be all that the DS threads always make it out to be. It's about delivering the audience that advertisers want and at the times of the year when advertisers want them.

Try selling ice cream in February. You probably could sell quite a bit if you drop your price to close to zero but you ain't going to make any money given the costs of your inputs. Selling it in July in a heatwave though and you make a killing. Tv advertising is a lot like that.

Oh sure - that's all obvious - but what has changed this year to allow ITV's share of ad market to grow despite ITV's SOCI being down 7%?

We've got two things on the list so far - ie World Cup (providing much better mix) and the ad house dropping C5 but there must be other factors.

By the way do you have the stats for share of commercial viewing? Not saying you are wrong but ITV share of total viewing is down from 23.2% to 22.1% so BBC would have to be up about 1.5 percentage points for ITV share of commercial viewing to be up.

Of course I realise, as you point out, that share of commercial viewing is only a part of the story - as these results show! But at the same time it shouldn't be ignored - less sport going forward may well send the mix movement the other way in future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much impact the decision to get back into bed with Sky has had on their income?

Last night I noticed that at the end of Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares, it now says "'ITV Productions America".

I'd never heard of it before, when did this start? :confused:
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no way this thread is going to be allowed to continue without a certain person coming along throwing cold water all over it. How long until this happens is the question!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much impact the decision to get back into bed with Sky has had on their income?

Not much.

Total revenue is up £81m.

Within that, Online, Pay and Interactive revenue (combined) is up £11m.

The increase in revenue from Sky will be a relatively small component of that £11m - so a tiny component of the total revenue increase.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Advertising revenue is up and the share of commercial viewing is up. So the crisis isn't really a crisis is it? If it it it's a crisis many businesses would like.
    Lies. Itv's share of commercial viewing is down 7pct from last year.

Evidence:
    ITV Family SOCI: 36.6% (2014)... 39.2% (2013)... (-7%)

http://www.itvplc.com/media/news/itv-plc-interim-results

Itv main channel's ratings share is down 3pct from last year to only 15.8pct, their worst ever start to a year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Lies. Itv's share of commercial viewing is down 7pct from last year.

Evidence:
    ITV Family SOCI: 36.6% (2014)... 39.2% (2013)... (-7%)

http://www.itvplc.com/media/news/itv-plc-interim-results

SOCI is share of commercial impacts, not share of commercial viewing.

I've already asked for clarification in post 10.

ITV SOCI is down 7%

ITV share of total viewing is down 5%.

I haven't yet seen the figure for share of commercial viewing but if BBC is up (which I suspect it is) then ITV's share of commercial viewing performance will be better than its share of total viewing performance.

Not saying that ITV's share of commercial viewing is up - I suspect it isn't - as I said in post 10 - but I don't think we actually have the figure (yet).
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Last night I noticed that at the end of Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares, it now says "'ITV Productions America".

I'd never heard of it before, when did this start? :confused:

Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and Hell's Kitchen USA are both ITV productions and have been since their first series. In fact all Gordon Ramsay shows outside the UK are ITV productions or co-productions (and they probably would be in the UK if he hadn't had a pre-standing UK exclusivity deal with Channel 4 when he signed with ITV).

The thing that strikes me is that most of the analysts think Liberty Global buying 6% of ITV increases the chance of M&A, whereas BSkyB sold those shares because it needed cash to go on its own shopping trip.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should shut up the nane sayers!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This should shut up the nane sayers!:D

Profits are what commercial companies require to continue to invest and because of these ongoing profits the future of ITV is assured.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and Hell's Kitchen USA are both ITV productions and have been since their first series. In fact all Gordon Ramsay shows outside the UK are ITV productions or co-productions (and they probably would be in the UK if he hadn't had a pre-standing UK exclusivity deal with Channel 4 when he signed with ITV).

The thing that strikes me is that most of the analysts think Liberty Global buying 6% of ITV increases the chance of M&A, whereas BSkyB sold those shares because it needed cash to go on its own shopping trip.

Thanks for the insight arius.

I'd not noticed that Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares USA was made by ITV Productions America before now. Does anyone know long have they been in existence?

M&A :confused:
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said it before, ITV is engaged in an asset strip for short term profit boosting.

Tired and old programmes milked to within an inch of their life. When the ITV crash comes it will be spectacular.
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the insight arius.

I'd not noticed that Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares USA was made by ITV Productions America before now. Does anyone know long have they been in existence?

M&A :confused:

Quite a while to be honest the Jeremy Kyle shows were branded the same and before the itv studios logo was adopted there was already a Granada America Brand
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I've said it before, ITV is engaged in an asset strip for short term profit boosting.

Tired and old programmes milked to within an inch of their life. When the ITV crash comes it will be spectacular.

How will they crash when they are making better profits year on year ?
    I don't understand the logic of your argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How will they crash when they are making better profits year on year ?
    I don't understand the logic of your argument.

The guy thinks it's still 1977. Can't get that content ownership is now key. Stuck in the past totallly

How the hell are they asset stripping when they are sprnding a fortune buying content providers. They guy is a broken record
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The guy thinks it's still 1977. Can't get that content ownership is now key. Stuck in the past totallly

How the hell are they asset stripping when they are sprnding a fortune buying content providers. They guy is a broken record

It puzzles me that the argument is that ITV are asset stripping when they are spending on new studio production facilities.
    Surely this is asset investing..
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Well, there was not going to be a merger between Sky and ITV so selling the stake on to a third party increases the chances of M&A I suppose.
    I think a stake in ITV gives LibertyGlobal a little influence in any future consolidation. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, John Malone of Liberty said, "In the [case of ITV] it looked like a good investment and would enhance our relationship with ITV and its management. They have a very large production studio whose output could be very interesting with respect to program needs in other jurisdictions."