Options

English or British?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    However[/B] - British is normally taken to relate to nationality not geographical location, so I disagree with your comment thereon.
    Isn't this only because, so far, the entirety of Great Britain has belonged to one country?
    As this may change in the next few days I don't see why the use of "Britain/British" (which, as far as I can tell, is entirely unofficial) can't change as well. Even if a citizen of Scotland is not also a citizen of the UK, I don't think there's any problem calling themselves British since Scotland is on (Great) Britain.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is Irish for me, never British, even when the whole island was under British rule, most people always called themselves Irish and never British, you just have to read the census forms to see this under the nationality bit.

It is usually the Welsh and English who always use the British term because their culture doesn't have much depth.
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Wales is indeed a country! And Britain currently consists of the island of Great Britain plus Northern Ireland. If Scotland leaves, it will be just England, Wales and NI that make up Britain, otherwise known as the UK.

When did Britain & UK mean the same?

As far as I knew
    Britain = England, Scotland & Wales
    UK = England, Scotland, Wales & NI

I have never heard of NI being part of Britain
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    English for me, never British
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I consider myself British, but I live in Northern Ireland. Technically, that should be "United Kingdomish" but that doesn't quite roll of the tongue as well.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Wales is indeed a country! And Britain currently consists of the island of Great Britain plus Northern Ireland. If Scotland leaves, it will be just England, Wales and NI that make up Britain, otherwise known as the UK.

yes you can keep on thinking that the country is called Britain but 1/2 the people who actually live in N.Ireland will say otherwise.
    I don't actually have a British passport but until the passport says 'The United Kingdom of Britain' then you are wrong.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Great Britain meant the island we live on. The largest island. Maybe we will have to start calling it Half Britain if Scotland go. :p
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only ever refer to myself as English.

Anyone with a British passport born and brought up in any country can call themselves British.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Isn't this only because, so far, the entirety of Great Britain has belonged to one country?
    As this may change in the next few days I don't see why the use of "Britain/British" (which, as far as I can tell, is entirely unofficial) can't change as well. Even if a citizen of Scotland is not also a citizen of the UK, I don't think there's any problem calling themselves British since Scotland is on (Great) Britain.

That would be like Canadians calling themselves American though, wouldn't it? And they don't usually do that. Though, if automatic dual nationality is allowed, some 'no' voters might do that, I guess?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nationality is British, born and live in England, but British through and through.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    That would be like Canadians calling themselves American though, wouldn't it? And they don't usually do that. Though, if automatic dual nationality is allowed, some 'no' voters might do that, I guess?
    I'd say that Canadians technically are Americans. Although, because of the common use of that word, a Canadian would have to specify that they mean the continent(s) and not the country to avoid misunderstandings.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    I'd say that Canadians technically are Americans. Although, because of the common use of that word, a Canadian would have to specify that they mean the continent(s) and not the country to avoid misunderstandings.

Yes I agree, and that's how I think it would work with Scots (Brits) if they go indy!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Etymologically 'British' refers to the Welsh (and Cornish) of course.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    My nationality is British, born and live in England, but British through and through.

I'm the same. I do think of that as the (largest) subset of my sovereign state which is the UK. I might consider redefining after Thursday since with 53.5 million people in England it would make sense to identify with the much larger group and perhaps push for some form of coherent national and democratic representation..
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I've always said I'm English - I'm not Scottish, Welsh or Irish, I am English. It's what I always said when I lived abroad and what I continue to say now :D

It's not a preference, I don't mind saying I'm British, it's just the first thing that pops into my head when asked - I'm English :) When asked where I'm from, I say England.

Me too. It just comes more naturally to me to say I'm English.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    •Great Britain = England, Scotland & Wales
    •The British Isles = Great Britain + Northern & Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man, Isle of White, Guernsey, Jersey and all the other surrounding smaller islands.
    •United Kingdom = Great Britain + Northern Ireland
    •British Citizen = The British Isles minus the republic of Ireland
  • Options
    AliKatAliKat Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I'm English and Irish heritage but consider myself English.
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I've always wondered, never really known. What's the true difference? I suppose it would be that you could claim to be British if you were English, Welsh, Irish or (currently) Scottish - because of Great Britain - but then people from Northen Ireland, Welsh and Scotland will (in my experience) always refer to themselves as Irish, Welsh or Scottish.

It's seemingly only people from England who differ between naming themselves as both English and British, but is there a difference? What do you consider yourself to be?

I suppose it depends on the situation. Usually, I would say I'm British but, for example, at Twickenham or Wembley, I'm an Englishman and proud of it.

We can be either / or as the occasions suits. How good is that...?
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    British only

I dont have any interest in England
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I have never once heard anyone from Wales or Scotland refer to themselves as British; they always refer to themselves as Welsh or Scottish. Only English people will use both English and British - Why?

Somewhat irrelevant to the post? Whether they're independent or not, you still wont hear a Scottish person refer to themselves as British.

Have you ever met a Rangers fan? Many of them very much see themselves as British.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/comment-scottish-referendum-yes-vote-would-have-ramifications-for-rangers-fc-1-6298907

I was watching a match of their's on Friday night and their fans were singing God Save the Queen in the stands.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mate's tattoo says "British by birth, English by the Grace of God".
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always thought of myself as British, until I lived in N. Wales and then realised, with encouragement, that I was English, and British didn't really matter.

Now still British and happy to be, but ultimately English, and proud of that too.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Scotland be classed as part of Great Britain if they leave the union? If Britain is England, Wales and Scotland then surely they will no longer be classed as British same as the ROI isn't.

Also because (if the yes vote triumphs) they are no longer part of the UK or Great Britain does this mean they will have to adopt their own passport seeing as our passport is for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and they will cease to remain a part of either? And if they choose to keep the pound does this mean it will be the Scottish pound with their own exchange rate and separate to the Sterling pound and how will that affect it's strength and inflation and their economy if they have to sustain their own currency. Surely it wont hold as much value as Sterling making it a weak currency which will leave them wide open to mass inflation.

My present understanding of the situation is devolution will allow Scotland to be independent yet still hold certain rights which the ROI currently do not have as an independent nation. Will they realistically be totally self sufficient or remain to have access to the parts of Britain which still benefit them whilst doing away with the parts that don't?
  • Options
    aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Will our passports now say:

The Ununited Kingdom of Great Britain (well England and Wales (which isn't even a country)) and Northern Ireland.

So all a bit silly keeping Great Britain or even Britain as that's only a collective of two places, one of which, Wales isn't a country.

What on earth makes you say Wales isn't a country ?? Of course it is !
    I am Welsh - and British.
  • Options
    AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    I refer to myself as British and I live in the UK

except for when I have been to the US, they seem to insist I am English and come from England (been a few years so might have changed now), which is still correct but not what my passport says

I don't think anybody is concerned enough or has any vested interest to "insist" you are English. But ya gotta love your quote here: "they seem to insist I am English and come from England .... which is still correct"

alrighty. LOL