What countries have you visited?

2»

Comments

• Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have really positive things to say about Germany and Scandinavia, but I've never really fancied them for some reason.

I guess it depends what you like.
    If youre a beachy person then Germany isnt the place for you. Personally I LOVE Germany- I dont know why it isnt better regarded as a holiday destination. Ive been 3 times, its a great county.

If you fancy a city break, any time of the year Berlin is fantastic! Its a city in a similar vein to London & NYC, vibrant & cultural. One of Europe's finest big cities.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    No excuse for not travelling around the world nowadays if you want to. Globalisation means that no land, no country is inaccessible, except perhaps Afghanistan, North Korea and Syria - unless you're particularly determined!

Two nations Britain.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did like it at the time but it was 1989 and I was 12 and hanging around malls playing arcades kept me amused. I'd probably feel differently now. One thing that did strike me at the time though (and it might just have been my skewed perception) was that the standard of living seemed a lot higher than in Scotland and everyone seemed a bit happier and friendlier. I remember thinking "I like Canadians - they seem pretty cool".

I was 12 though so....

You must have gone into Toronto though?

You can say Mississauga as well;-)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have really positive things to say about Germany and Scandinavia, but I've never really fancied them for some reason.

I'd say there is a lot going for Germany, as in scenery and attractions, e.g. the River Rhein, Black Forest, Bavarian mountains etc., but IMO I find the people rather materialistic and the sound of German harsh on the ear.

I prefer Switzerland.

But. I'll join in the contest.

England and Wales (too many places to name).

France (Paris, Nice, Bologne, Cherbourg, Dieppe, some other places on the way from Cherbourg to Mont Saint-Michel).

Germany (Bonn, Cologne, Stuttgart, Munich, Black Forest, Freiburg, Reutlingen, Tubingen, Metzingen, River Rhein, some place where I picked grapes for the day in mid Germany, various other smaller places in my uncle's car).

Switzerland (Luzern mainly including The Rigi (*), Berne, Basle, bits of the Alps, e.g. Andermatt, Interlaken, Grindlewald, Wengen, Engleberg).

Italy (Venice, Naples, Rimini, Ravenna).

Spain (Barcelona, Malaga, Torremolinos, Madrid).

The Netherlands (Amsterdam).

Austria (Salzburg, Vienna, Bregenz).

Belgium (Ostend, Antwerp, Brussels).

And to be honest I didn't have time to see and get to know properly most of the above really either. There just isn't enough time. A lot of it was whistle stop, short breaks. The longest time I've been in one place abroad was 6 weeks in Reutlingen.

(*) Seriously beautiful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigi
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Pretty well travelled myself (not gonna list them).
    My least fave hol in recent memory was Turkey. Didnt like my resort, didnt like the beach, didnt like the food & didnt like the locals!
    Ive been to Middle Eastern/Muslim countries before so Im not unfamiliar with the hard sell tactic but I found it esp difficult here for some reason. It was relentless & they were flogging absolute CRAP in the main.

I cant understand why anyone would choose Turkey as opposed to Greece nearby, where the resorts are kinda similar but I MUCH prefer Greek culture.

There's actually culture in resorts ? :)
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greece- Island of Crete.
    Spain- Barcelona.
    France- Calais.
    USA- Miami, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Hawaii.
    Venezuala- Caracas.
    Mexico.
    Brazil- Rio, Salvador, Brasillia, Sao Paulo.
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    No excuse for not travelling around the world nowadays if you want to. Globalisation means that no land, no country is inaccessible, except perhaps Afghanistan, North Korea and Syria - unless you're particularly determined!

The thing you have to keep in mind is the majority of people are warm and welcoming and are open to all people.
    That includes all the people we are told we shouldn't like.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My order is from being born till now... Roughly..

Germany
    France
    Switzerland
    Austria
    England
    Scotland
    Majorca
    Wales
    USA
    Egypt
    Italy
    Croatia
    Ireland
    Netherlands
    Poland

I think that's it. So many more I want to see.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to;
    Austria,
    France,
    Ireland (if that counts as abroad),
    Belgium,
    Germany,
    Luxenburg,
    Italy,
    Norway,
    Canada,
    U.S.A.

My favourites are the U.S.A. (very friendly and huge wonderful meals), Italy (so much of interest there and also love their ice-cream, pizzas and pastas), and Austria (so clean and pretty with beautiful scenery)

My worst ones were Ireland (didn't seem to be the great scenery I was led to believe it would be, but that may be that we visited the wrong places. Didn't have much selection of food and what we did eat wasn't that good), Luxenburg (not much there) and Norway, (although it wasn't that bad, but it was very samish and consisted of so many mountains and waterfalls etc, which were all very lovely but it got a bit boring after a few days. Also it was so expensive there that we couldn't afford to buy anything.)
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    I've been all around the world and I've still not found my baby and I still don't know why ay ay he's gone away.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    There's actually culture in resorts ? :)

I prefer the food, the architecture, the art in Greece. (Although Turkish art is good)
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Not many really

Various places in Holland, which I loved. I love the Dutch people.

Germany, again several places. Love the food. Wouldn't want to live there, very materialistic, and unindividual people, as a whole.

Scotland, Wow, a beautiful country. Absolutely stunning in Glen Coe.

Wales, I found very dismal. It was there that I saw a hailstorm one step away. You could walk into and out of it!!

Moved around and lived in a lot of different places in England.

Edit - I forgot Portugal. It was pleasant, but far too touristy to really get the true feel of Portugal.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England,
    Wales,
    Scotland,
    N ireland,
    Ireland,
    Spain,
    France,
    Italy,
    America,
    Canada (where I currently live).

Not as many as I'd like but I had a big obsession with going to America for many years and visited so many different places (Seattle being my favourite).

Next year I move to Australia so I can add that to the list and hopefully New Zealand and loads of places in South East Asia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't list the countries, but if I absolutely had to choose, Cuba, Morocco and The Maldives win hands down.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you like and where would you avoid again?

Loved and would visit again at the drop of a hat: Germany( Munich), Greek Islands, Turkey, Cyprus ( Turkish half), France (Paris and Dordogne area), Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice and Tuscany), Egypt, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Croatia, Sardinia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Fiji, US (New York, LA, Florida, Washington and Hawaii), China (Hong Kong and Bejing), India, Goa, Poland (Warsaw), Holland (Amsterdam) and Czech Republic(Prague).

Avoid: Lanzarotte (aka Lanzagrotty), Malta and some very touristy areas of Spain.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malta.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    Malta.

avoid or go again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    avoid or go again?

I wouldn't recommend it :D

I've been to shed loads of European countries but never outside it, also never been to Germany for some reason, probably because I don't speak the language. Would LOVE to go to Bavaria one day though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't recommend it :D

I've been to shed loads of European countries but never outside it, also never been to Germany for some reason, probably because I don't speak the language. Would LOVE to go to Bavaria one day though.

my mum didn't like malta either i've not really heard anyone go "it's fantastic you must go" :D i thought i'd found the Holy Grail when i saw your one word post!

I've never been to germany either but i have a craving to go to Italy - the area near the Lakes and mountains....japan is also on my wish list dont know if i'll ever get there but i'd love to see the countryside and ancient places.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my mum didn't like malta either i've not really heard anyone go "it's fantastic you must go" :D i thought i'd found the Holy Grail when i saw your one word post!

I've never been to germany either but i have a craving to go to Italy - the area near the Lakes and mountains....japan is also on my wish list dont know if i'll ever get there but i'd love to see the countryside and ancient places.....

I love Italy, more than is normal for someone to love a place :blush:, we drove there once from Liverpool to Perugia, it is bloody brilliant.
    Still never been to Florence which pisses me off mightily, as OH says we can only go if I quit smoking :blush:

My very close friend lives in Nagano (Japan), but can't imagine there's enough Valium in the world to help me sleep through the flight so I don't want a ****.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I love Italy, more than is normal for someone to love a place :blush:, we drove there once from Liverpool to Perugia, it is bloody brilliant.
    Still never been to Florence which pisses me off mightily, as OH says we can only go if I quit smoking :blush:

My very close friend lives in Nagano (Japan), but can't imagine there's enough Valium in the world to help me sleep through the flight so I don't want a ****.

got lost then looking at pics of Nagano on google! that's exactly everything i yearn to see in Japan mountains ancient castles the monkeys in the hot pools if it has bamboo forests i'm in tell your friend to expect a visit!!!:D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    also never been to Germany for some reason, probably because I don't speak the language. Would LOVE to go to Bavaria one day though.

You don't really need to speak German in Germany to get by ok. Many Germans speak good English. Even some of the billboards are written in English.

The Netherlands, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden and Austria etc. are also good if your grasp of foreign languages is not good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union#mediaviewer/File:Knowledge_of_English_EU_map.svg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    got lost then looking at pics of Nagano on google! that's exactly everything i yearn to see in Japan mountains ancient castles the monkeys in the hot pools if it has bamboo forests i'm in tell your friend to expect a visit!!!:D

Ha, you'd spot him immediately, he's white, 6"6 and plays shakuhachi whilst installing stoves.... in other words very memorable :D

ETA: Oh pants, it wouldn't be difficult to work out his name now on that post as he's quite unique!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    You don't really need to speak German in Germany to get by ok. Many Germans speak good English. Even some of the billboards are written in English.

The Netherlands, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden and Austria etc. are also good if your grasp of foreign languages is not good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union#mediaviewer/File:Knowledge_of_English_EU_map.svg

Oh J, I had a terrible experience in Switzerland once, we had gone nearer to Lichenstein and EVERYONE spoke German, I was mortified that I couldn't even understand the street signs etc!

I've never been to a country where I haven't learnt the basics so was at a total loss, anyways, I ended up Speaking passable French and Spanish to two people who could passably translate conversational versions of each, who then translated into German :D

Usefully it was a gay bar so I was able to let the women know I wasn't flirting with them :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ha, you'd spot him immediately, he's white, 6"6 and plays shakuhachi whilst installing stoves.... in other words very memorable :D

ETA: Oh pants, it wouldn't be difficult to work out his name now on that post as he's quite unique!

out of respect for you i shall refrain from a late night bout of internet stalking :D
    he is safe....
    for now :D