Boy 13 charged with murder in Edmonton

riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/boy-13-charged-with-murder-of-irishman-in-london-654866.html

What is happening in the world today? Is the concept of parental control and common decency really a thing of the past now? I sincerely hope I am not the only one who is shocked by this. :(

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will quickly become a taboo subject on DS now a charge has been filed.

I do agree it's quite shocking, but then when you've got certain corners of society where thugs are basically breeding thugs then it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that something like this could happen.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another black youth stabbing someone in London,

It's a real problem that needs to be addressed.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Armi wrote: »

Was he black? Where did you find that out?
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Locally.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A flying leap of assumption I guess ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats like saying 'another white ex-millitary man went on a shooting spree in the USA'
  • CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assume the parents are blaming the government or police or anyone but themselves as usual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure the labour party will still be celebrating our diversity though. His stabbing has probably enriched our culture somehow
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats like saying 'another white ex-millitary man went on a shooting spree in the USA'
    Might not make it any less true though.
  • brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having worked near Edmonton a few years back I sadly can believe it. :(
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the labour party will still be celebrating our diversity though. His stabbing has probably enriched our culture somehow

Yawn..
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

Are you saying only black kids stab people?
    Forum Member
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/boy-13-charged-with-murder-of-irishman-in-london-654866.html

What is happening in the world today? Is the concept of parental control and common decency really a thing of the past now? I sincerely hope I am not the only one who is shocked by this. :(

You seem to be confusing a charge of murder with a conviction for murder.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Are you saying only black kids stab people?

How did you get that from "another black youth..." :confused:
    Forum Member
    How did you get that from "another black youth..." :confused:

They said it's a real problem that needs to be addressed. I was asking why it is specifically black kids.
  • Joan_FergusonJoan_Ferguson Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ''In June 2010 The Sunday Telegraph, through a Freedom of Information Act request, obtained statistics on accusations of crime broken down by race from the Metropolitan Police Service. The figures showed that the majority of males who were accused of violent crimes in 2009–10 were black. Of the recorded 18,091 such accusations against males, 54 percent accused of street crimes were black; for robbery 59 percent; and for gun crimes, 67 percent.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_Kingdom#Race_and_crime_in_London
  • anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ''In June 2010 The Sunday Telegraph, through a Freedom of Information Act request, obtained statistics on accusations of crime broken down by race from the Metropolitan Police Service. The figures showed that the majority of males who were accused of violent crimes in 2009–10 were black. Of the recorded 18,091 such accusations against males, 54 percent accused of street crimes were black; for robbery 59 percent; and for gun crimes, 67 percent.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_Kingdom#Race_and_crime_in_London

That information is worthless without knowing:

1. How many of those accused were actually convicted of any offence.

2. How likely a black person vs a white person would be accused.

3. How many white people who HAD committed a violent offence were never accused.

All the information shows is that black people are more likely to be accused of crime - not that they are more likely to commit it. And given we are talking about the Metropolitan police, I'd say that the figures say a great deal more about them than anything else.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »

3. How many white people who HAD committed a violent offence were never accused.

All the information shows is that black people are more likely to be accused of crime - not that they are more likely to commit it. And given we are talking about the Metropolitan police, I'd say that the figures say a great deal more about them than anything else.

Interesting point of view considering the importance you placed in another thread on the findings of the National Crime Survey which gives statistics on those who have been the victims of crime yet not necessarily even reported it let alone it resulting in an accusation or even a conviction. Particularly those crime stats for London!
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem to be confusing a charge of murder with a conviction for murder.

The only thing I am confused by is your above post :confused:

Can you please explain how you make out I am confusing a charge with a conviction? Thank you.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1/10. Poor effort.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assume the parents are blaming the government or police or anyone but themselves as usual.

That's quite a leap. Why would you assume such a thing?
  • anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Interesting point of view considering the importance you placed in another thread on the findings of the National Crime Survey which gives statistics on those who have been the victims of crime yet not necessarily even reported it let alone it resulting in an accusation or even a conviction. Particularly those crime stats for London!

There is no conflict whatsoever.

The Times reporting only shows that black people are more likely to be arrested than white people by the Metropolitan Police. Why the hell people should be surprised by this when a police officer was recorded using the 'N' word when addressing a suspect (and wasn't reported by his colleagues indicating it's not an unusual practice) in a police van is beyond me.

The average police officer is very far from the 'without fear or favour' idealists of Peel.

Many (particularly within the TSG) are just a bunch of NF louts in uniform.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The average police officer is very far from the 'without fear or favour' idealists of Peel.

Many (particularly within the TSG) are just a bunch of NF louts in uniform.

Can you back this up? What am I saying of course you can, I mean, you back everything you say up! ;-)

Source please or is this just your own very sweeping arrogant generalised assumption based on a minority of cases?
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or of course his parents could be distraught and are blaming themselves and asking where did we go wrong when in fact they haven't they just have a child in with the wrong crowd or one they cannot control, or even a child that behaves like an angel at home but is a thug when out of sight.

Not all parents are bad and in this case it remains to be seen. But even with bad parents does not mean a child of 13 does not know the difference between right and wrong and should know whatever his home life there is no excuse for stabbing someone .
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With regard to number 1 , no matter what your colour being convicted does not always follow being accused, you may be innocent and misidentified or you may be guilty but not enough actual evidence to obtain a safe conviction.