Options

Could Peter Jackson have another film (or 3) relating to Middle Earth

ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking this during the morning commute. Could Peter Jackson ever make another film, or perhaps a film trilogy for middle earth basically tying the existing trilogies together?

There is a small bit of stuff which could be covered :-

- Gandalf and Aragorns hunts across the northern wilds for news of the ring, meeting Gollum and becoming suspicious of Bilbo's ring.

- Aragorn vs the Corsairs of Umbar

- Rise of Sauron in Mordor and the construction of Barad Dur

- Destruction of Minas Ithil and its change into Minas Morgul

- Capture and torture of Gollum by the Ringwraiths

- Corruption of Saruman

ok, it's all very flimsy for a trilogy of films but throw in 6 hours of padding, a love interest, a wee bit of treachery in high places, an army or six and there you are. :):D:D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking this during the morning commute. Could Peter Jackson ever make another film, or perhaps a film trilogy for middle earth basically tying the existing trilogies together?

- Gandalf and Aragorns hunts across the northern wilds for news of the ring, meeting Gollum and becoming suspicious of Bilbo's ring.

- Corruption of Saruman

ok, it's all very flimsy for a trilogy of films but throw in 6 hours of padding, a love interest, a wee bit of treachery in high places, an army or six and there you are. :):D:D

Nope. JRR Tolkien sold the rights to the Hobbit and LOTR. Christopher Tolkien holds all the rest of the copyrights including the Silmarillion.

(1) You can't write about the rise of Sauron and Baradur - it's part of the Akallabeth.
    (2) You can't just make up stuff - all Jackson's previous additions have been from the LOTR appendices
    (3) There is a lot of bad blood between New Line and C Tolkien
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I hope not. As technically good as they obviously are, the films have become a bit tedious and repetitive. I gave the LOTR trilogy a re-watch the other day as they are on Sky Movies, and forgot just what a grind they can actually be. Some of the dialogue is cringeworthy, and towards the end, Frodo and Sam's.........long.........and..........painfully.......slow..........conversations.........are...............toe-curling.

Enough is enough.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    ozark1 wrote: »
    Nope. JRR Tolkien sold the rights to the Hobbit and LOTR. Christopher Tolkien holds all the rest of the copyrights including the Silmarillion.

(1) You can't write about the rise of Sauron and Baradur - it's part of the Akallabeth.
    (2) You can't just make up stuff - all Jackson's previous additions have been from the LOTR appendices

Does that include putting a female elf and Legolas in the Hobbit for some reason? :)
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N

Apologies, I meant Sauron openly declaring his return after the expulsion from Dol-Guldur and the rebuild of Barad Dur. That bit is between the Hobbit and the LOTR IIRC ??

Anyway, I know its a flimsy idea but I'm sure New Line have probably already thought about squeezing the cash cow a little more.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard from a reliable source that Peter Jackson and Co are planning a new trilogy that will chronicle Gandalf's quest to find a good barber to trim his hair and beard. Though there is a worry amongst the team if CGI technology and practical effects are advance enough to pull off such an ambitious project.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 6 hours of padding ? Lightweight :)
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and in two years time we will have the announcement of The Silmarillion, directed by guillermo del toro
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the adventures of Tom Bombadil.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Jackson is currently looking into adaptating a Tolkien manuscript recently discovered amongst his personal papers, centering around the quest for 2lb of potatoes, a tin of spam, an onion, a copy of the Daily Record and a packet of Players cigarettes... although it's relatively short and apparently written on the back of an envelope, Jackson is confident that "this exciting discovery could open up whole new adventures in Middle Earth for new generation of filmgoers", and the first instalment of "Shopping List" is due Summer 2018...
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Whether add-on, reboot, or whatever, I doubt we've seen the last of Lord of the Ringing tills.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

he also doesn't particularly care for Peter Jackson's Adaptations of the LOTR and The Hobbit either,so i suspect there is more chance of snow at christmas than there is of Peter Jackson getting his hands on The Silmarillion
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 6 hours of padding ? Lightweight :)

We'll probably get three movies about Bilbo getting his furniture back
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The Scouring of the Shire" was omitted from the LotR films. Surely that's good for a trilogy, at least? And no copyright nonsense to have to haggle over. ;-):D
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be over stretching it a bit, trying to make another 6 films..
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LOTR trilogy was fantastic.

The Hobbit as a trilogy was a stupid decision, and I've personally found them disappointing.

So no, I'd rather he stopped now (or went back in time and stopped after 2003).
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »
    We'll probably get three movies about Bilbo getting his furniture back

.. ending with a massive battle against the forces of IKEA :)
    "The Scouring of the Shire" was omitted from the LotR films. Surely that's good for a trilogy, at least? And no copyright nonsense to have to haggle over. ;-):D

Wasn't aware of The Scouring of The Shire, so had a nosey on Wiki. Reading the name Saruman was going by just conjured images of an east-end gangster type situation so almost certainly trilogy material :)

For me personally, a good sign of how I rated this trilogy against the last one is the fact that I have no intentions of buying it. I own the extended versions of the last trilogy and having re-watched them recently while catching up, I still enjoy them just as much as I did originally.

While I liked the first two (extended) parts of The Hobbit trilogy, I still generally felt the same about them as I did when I saw the original versions at the cinema.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

- Corruption of Saruman

I thought a lot of this (at least that which is mentioned in LOTR and its appendices) was going to be in the Hobbit films. But there wasn't as much as I hoped or expected.
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Does that include putting a female elf and Legolas in the Hobbit for some reason? :)

I'm sure Legolas would have been in the book if Tolkien had thought him up earlier! :D It makes perfect sense for him to appear in the films.

I didn't mind the Tauriel addition, but since there is no trace of her in the LOTR films, she should have died at the end.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Problem is that one of the main characters gets eliminated earlier in the extended version of the film.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

Yes. Christopher Tolkien is adamant that there won't be any more Middle Earth films, and I believe the rest of the people controlling the Tolkien estate agree with him.

http://blogofthehobbit.blogspot.ie/2013/03/the-silmarillion-movie.html

If he wants to do more fantasy adaptations, Jackson should start chatting to Mervyn Peake, Lord Dunsany or T. H. White's estates instead. ;-)
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Christopher Tolkien is adamant that there won't be any more Middle Earth films, and I believe the rest of the people controlling the Tolkien estate agree with him.

http://blogofthehobbit.blogspot.ie/2013/03/the-silmarillion-movie.html

If he wants to do more fantasy adaptations, Jackson should start chatting to Mervyn Peake, Lord Dunsany or T. H. White's estates instead. ;-)

yeah but what happens after he dies ?

• Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Jackson is currently looking into adaptating a Tolkien manuscript recently discovered amongst his personal papers, centering around the quest for 2lb of potatoes, a tin of spam, an onion, a copy of the Daily Record and a packet of Players cigarettes... although it's relatively short and apparently written on the back of an envelope, Jackson is confident that "this exciting discovery could open up whole new adventures in Middle Earth for new generation of filmgoers", and the first instalment of "Shopping List" is due Summer 2018...

:D

I have been reliably informed he'll be tackling another beloved children's story next... The BFG in five parts. Andy Serkis will play the giant and also bizarrely Gollum who makes an appearance for some reason.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

http://blogofthehobbit.blogspot.ie/2...ion-movie.html

If he wants to do more fantasy adaptations, Jackson should start chatting to Mervyn Peake, Lord Dunsany or T. H. White's estates instead.

I think the Tolkien family have had a bad experience as a whole with
    the LOTR adaptations- they had no creative imput and there
    was a nasty lawsuit after the family claimed they hadn't received
    proper royalties from the films.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8245300.stm

So I don't think the other members of the Tolkien family want to see
    any new film or TV adaptations, no matter how much money
    Hollywood offers.

To be honest, I can sort of understand where they're coming from-
    would you risk giving your beloved relatives life's work to an industry that could
    hand it over to Brett Ratner or Michael Bay to be mangled?
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I think the Tolkien family have had a bad experience as a whole with the LOTR adaptations- they had no creative input...

Probably for the best too. As an adaptation to movies the LOTR trilogy is probably as good as it can be. What works in literature doesn't always translate to the screen, and the style, editing, content, dialogue, pacing etc is best left to a filmmaker, not the precious relatives of the source material's author.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Probably for the best too. As an adaptation to movies the LOTR trilogy is probably as good as it can be. What works in literature doesn't always translate to the screen, and the style, editing, content, dialogue, pacing etc is best left to a filmmaker, not the precious relatives of the source material's author.

Yeah and poor Disney with P.L.Travers turning up to wallop him with her umbrella!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

UK copyright law - last surviving author + 70 years. Remember that Christopher Tolkien wrote/assembled the Silmarillion and all the more recent works. Just a simple statement that "the film rights cannot be sold" in his will and it won't be available in our lifetimes