Has anyone bought a "Moon in a jar"?

Summer-SkiesSummer-Skies Posts: 331
Forum Member
I bought one from Amazon for £13 but it dosent seem to be working.:confused:
Ive left it out in the daylight and when I bring it indoors into a dark room,it flickers blue for a second or two and then nothing.

Am I doing anything wrong apart from possibly buying a dud one??

Comments

• oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they charge up by sunlight I imagine yours will not be charged up properly if you've only just bought it, unless you live somewhere sunnier than Britain!
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no experience of the things, but I'd guess it may not be getting enough bright light during the day. From Amazon:
    Remember that the Sun Jars need direct sunshine to work. Leave the Sun Jar outside or in a sunny window in direct sunlight for several hours to charge, (electric light indoors is not bright enough). Bad weather is bad news for Sun Jars. You may find that in winter or cloudy weather your Sun Jar illuminates for less time than normal, or even not at all. This is because your Sun Jar requires the Sun to re-charge.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solar-LED-Jar-changing-powered/dp/B002MDEYUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289519079&sr=8-2

You describe yours as a moon jar, but I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that's it's a solar light.

PS: You'll probably find it'll work a treat in June — when you don't really need it! :D
  • Summer-SkiesSummer-Skies Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I've no experience of the things, but I'd guess it may not be getting enough bright light during the day. From Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solar-LED-Jar-changing-powered/dp/B002MDEYUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289519079&sr=8-2

You describe yours as a moon jar, but I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that's it's a solar light.

PS: You'll probably find it'll work a treat in June — when you don't really need it! :D

Ive had it outside for the past 4 days,at nightime I take it in and thats when it flickers on for a second or two,this is the type I have bought

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/994a/

Its a christmas present for my 4 year old godaughter who absolutly adores the moon for some unknown reason,the thought of having a little bit of moon in her bedroom each night she will absolutly love.

Thats if I can get the thing working:(

Maybe theres not enough sunshine,yes Im in Britain!
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It says on that link that the jars use a standard AA rechargeable battery, have you tried charging the battery in a mains charger? Maybe that would work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe theres not enough sunshine,yes Im in Britain!
    You haven't considered moving to Texas, have you, because it might work quite well there? I see the one I linked to earlier gets a one-star review on Amazon from someone who says:
    I was very disappointed with this.... I bought two and neither of them work. My partner is an engineer and he says either the battery that's knackered or the solar panel is not big enough to give the battery the charge it needs. It comes on for the whole of 3 seconds after a day charging. I even put it on my sunbed for a couple of hours to see if it didn't charge properly while I was out (Cloudy or something) 3 seconds of light again! I love my lights and this has really disappointed me!
    In the past I've been disappointed with small solar garden lights. They worked fine in the summer (when you didn't need them) but didn't do well in winter (when you did).

Your moon lamp looks pretty, but I'm not sure that it's ever going to work well in late autumn/winter. You could send it back and ask to try another one, I suppose, and maybe the replacement might be better, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It says on that link that the jars use a standard AA rechargeable battery, have you tried charging the battery in a mains charger? Maybe that would work.
    I think that would be about the only way it would work at this time of year.
    Forum Member
    You haven't considered moving to Texas, have you, because it might work quite well there? I see the one I linked to earlier gets a one-star review on Amazon from someone who says:

In the past I've been disappointed with small solar garden lights. They worked fine in the summer (when you didn't need them) but didn't do well in winter (when you did).

Your moon lamp looks pretty, but I'm not sure that it's ever going to work well in late autumn/winter. You could send it back and ask to try another one, I suppose, and maybe the replacement might be better, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Dont think my little godaughter would welcome me moving to Texas!!
    I dont like the review on Amazon,should of read the wording properly.:(

I may send it back and try another but thinking about it maybe the sun isnt as strong this time of the year.

She would of loved a prezzie like this,now Ive got to look for something else "moon" related!
    Forum Member

Yep oscar,tried that on day 3 but still with no luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She would of loved a prezzie like this,now Ive got to look for something else "moon" related!
    I wonder if this might be any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncle-Milton-Moon-Illuminated-Decoration/dp/B000EUHKUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289520969&sr=8-1

It does seem to get pretty good reviews on Amazon, anyway.

Another picture.
    Forum Member
    I wonder if this might be any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncle-Milton-Moon-Illuminated-Decoration/dp/B000EUHKUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289520969&sr=8-1

It does seem to get pretty good reviews on Amazon, anyway.

Oh my Lord THATS BRILLIANT!!!

Ive never seen anything like this and it has a remote control,she,ll love this!!

Thank you soooooooo much Sigurd and I really mean thank you:)

Just read the reviews,she will absolutly love it,she,ll really really love it,thanks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ive never seen anything like this and it has a remote control,she,ll love this!!

Well, if you do buy it, I hope you and your god-daughter like it.

More reviews on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Milton-Moon-My-Room/dp/B000EUHKUE

They're generally favourable, but it does get through batteries pretty fast, it seems.
    Forum Member
    Well, if you do buy it, I hope you and your god-daughter like it.

More reviews on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Milton-Moon-My-Room/dp/B000EUHKUE

They're generally favourable, but it does get through batteries pretty fast, it seems.

Small price to pay,shes already costing us a fortune in batteries for everyone of her toys!!:D

This will be a great present for her,she insists that the moon looks after her at night when she is in her bed,and she dosent like it when its cloudy at night because she cant see the moon.

Isnt it funny what goes through little ones minds?Im so chuffed Sigurd.:)
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum always said I wanted The Moon On A Stick, I still haven't got it yet.

I wonder if Amazon has one.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you like to swing on a star
    Carry moonbeams home in a jar
    And be better off than you are
    Or would you rather go to earth!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sons' Moon Jar only really works through summer, it needs really bright sunlight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just read the reviews,she will absolutly love it,she,ll really really love it,thanks!

My son has one of those. Its very effective!