Options

BBC V BSkyB

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
Murdoch has built up BSky B to become a massive TV empire with over 5 million subscribers.
Its my choice whether or not to subscribe to BSky B
.... Whereas the BBC uses the force of law ie coercian to make me pay them
£145 a year against my wishes.... I subscribe to the BBC whether I like it or not !

In a satellite dominated, multi channel world where literally 1000s of channels are out there
and available for free........ it is ridiculous and insane that the pompous BBC is still extorting money from the British public with the insane law that...
.... " if you have a TV monitor in your house, then you must... by law ..... pay the BBC £145 per
year or face procecution and a possible prison sentance."... is this mad or what ?
Many of these laws date back from the 1920s for g....s sake from a time when life and times were radically different from today .

The internet is now dominating things anyway, younger people spend their time on the internet, not watching the poxy BBC.

But no doubt the BBC lawyers are working on a new framework of law that if you have a computor monitor in your house, you must still pay us the £145 per year, like it or not !
When will they get real and get off our backs ????

Let's give the BBC all the properties, buildings, studios and assets it has built up over the
years.
Lets give them the fabulous art collection they have built up over the decades for their exective suite...... give it all to them to do what the will with it... but from the start of 2014 they are
on their own.... a private media company that must live on the open market like every other
TV organization around the world.....
... like BSky B for eg.
Theyve lived an insulated life of priviledge for far too long... the British public is becoming more and more aware of this incredible scam.
.... a scam that is not far from celebrating its centenary !!!!!

Its time the BBC got real and got its blood sucking fangs out of our necks.

No doubt the top echelons of the BBC are opening the champagne bottles to celebrate Murdochs latest troubles with phone hacking gate..... but sooner or later their time will come when their multi billion gravy train will hit the buffers..... it cant come soon enough.

I may not like Mucky Murdoch but at least he does n't use Parliamentary Law and coercion to
force me to pay for his TV Channels.

Comments

• Options
    eddieheddieh Posts: 1,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn, not another I hate the BBC thread.. Couldn't you posted it in the other hate threads..
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Murdoch has built up BSky B to become a massive TV empire with over 5 million subscribers.
    £130 a year against my wishes.... I subscribe to the BBC whether I like it or not !

In a satellite dominated, multi channel world where literally 1000s of channels are out there
    and available for free........ it is ridiculous and insane that the pompous BBC is still extorting money from the British public with the insane law that...
    .... " if you have a TV monitor in your house, then you must... by law ..... pay the BBC £130 per
    year or face procecution and a possible prison sentance."... is this mad or what ?
    Many of these laws date back from the 1920s for g....s sake from a time when life and times were radically different from today .

The internet is now dominating things anyway, younger people spend their time on the internet, not watching the poxy BBC.

But no doubt the BBC lawyers are working on a new framework of law that if you have a computor monitor in your house, you must still pay us the £130 per year, like it or not !
    When will they get real and get off our backs ????

Let's give the BBC all the properties, buildings, studios and assets it has built up over the
    years, give it all to them to do what the will with it... but from the start of 2013 they are
    on their own.... a private media company that must live on the open market like every other
    ... like BSky B for eg.

I may not like Mucky Murdoch but at least he does nt use Parliamentary Law and coercian to

The Licence Fee is £145.50 for a colour set.

I have questioned the long term funding model of the BBC for some time but details such as the cost of the licence really need to be accurate for a serious debate, especially when your views are so strong.
  • Options
    Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, the sheepling OP really has been manipulated into a Murdoch puppy. bless.
    £130 a year against my wishes.... I subscribe to the BBC whether I like it or not !

However if you love football or most other sports, you are forced to fork out for Sky Sports unless you want to make-do with highlights.
    and available for free blah blah blah

But this isnt Sky is it? Sky charge you to watch their channels. Free Satellite is free-sat. Regardless to watch every single output from Sky TV will cost about £70 a month but having access to all of BT's output is erm...considerably less.

...and seemingly Sky TV if you'r stating people are no longer watching TV.

[/quote]But no doubt the BBC lawyers are working on a new framework of law that if you have a computor monitor in your house, you must still pay us the £130 per year, like it or not !
    When will they get real and get off our backs ????[/quote]

are you one of these 'younger generation' who are doing a damn fine job at destroying the music industry and indeed any creative industry because you dont like the idea of paying for goods. Shudder at the thought. Bless...bet they taught you in school that money grew on tree's thus not to offend you.
    years, give it all to them to do what the will with it... but from the start of 2013 they are
    ... like BSky B for eg.

yay, more ads :yawn:
    I may not like Mucky Murdoch but at least he does nt use Parliamentary Law and coercian to

No, he just ensures you'r have to in otherways. ie. if you like any of the sports or movies he has then you have to pay anyway.
    Off to sleep now...wake me up when Sky start doing the sheer and broad output that BBC do with their many channels and radio stations. Oh, while we'r at it, wake me up when they do something as revolutionary as the iPlayer too.
    Suppose you'l probably forget because you'r too busy watching 'The Simpsons' on Sky One.
  • Options
    radiobloke2004radiobloke2004 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...£145 a year against my wishes.... I subscribe to the BBC whether I like it or not!...

No, you have a choice. No one is forcing you to own a TV. It is not essential to your life.

You choose to purchase a TV, and as a result, you need a licence.

If you don't want to pay your share for what the licence provides (which I hasten to add is not just the BBC), then don't buy a TV. Quite simple really, however this point seems lost on a lot of people.
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the Television Licence first came out, it cost coppers and was used primarily to fund BBC Radio and Television because the government at the time thought that commercial television like it was in the USA at the time would produce too much sub standard viewing with adverts every five minutes.

Now, it is an undemocratic Licence Fee which is used as a source of taxation by recent and current governments.

The reason I say it is undemocratic is because the majority of channels now viewed in the UK is provided by BSkyB, Virginmedia and BT just to mention a few.

No government in the future will get rid of the TV licence as long as it is used as a source of taxation.
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    When the Television Licence first came out, it cost coppers and was used primarily to fund BBC Radio and Television because the government at the time thought that commercial television like it was in the USA at the time would produce too much sub standard viewing with adverts every five minutes.

Now, it is an undemocratic Licence Fee which is used as a source of taxation by recent and current governments.

The reason I say it is undemocratic is because the majority of channels now viewed in the UK is provided by BSkyB, Virginmedia and BT just to mention a few.

No government in the future will get rid of the TV licence as long as it is used as a source of taxation.

Please check actual cost adjusted for inflation and let us know.

And what channels do people watch?
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I have Sky and i have the full package, but i don't mind paying the TV licence fee, as i think the BBC offer good value for money.
    Ian.
  • Options
    bobmeadesbobmeades Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another hornet's nest shaken......come on BBC defenders, do your job:)
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    because the government at the time thought that commercial television like it was in the USA at the time would produce too much sub standard viewing with adverts every five minutes.

But aren't the majority of those commercial and subscription channels showing the same sort of American crap?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you have a choice. No one is forcing you to own a TV. It is not essential to your life.

You choose to purchase a TV, and as a result, you need a licence.

If you don't want to pay your share for what the licence provides (which I hasten to add is not just the BBC), then don't buy a TV. Quite simple really, however this point seems lost on a lot of people.
    Might be an idea next time to check your facts before posting incorrect information :rolleyes:

From: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

No TV Licence is needed if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch programmes on your computer after they have been shown on TV. If this is the case, please let us know, as this helps us to keep our database up to date and means you won't receive the standard letters we send to unlicensed addresses.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may not like Mucky Murdoch but at least he does n't use Parliamentary Law and coercion to
    Except that Murdoch's ideology is based around paywalls. Should he own BSkyB in future, he would fully take on the free-to-air competition which contributes most to Sky's churn rate, coerce commercial free-to-air channels behind his paywall (he did this very successfully on analogue satellite back in 1993) and start a debate so that the BBC is placed behind a paywall, one that he will control - Murdoch becomes the gatekeeper to the BBC if he can't get his wish of axing the BBC.

You could end up having no choice, unless you live in a Virgin Media cabled area, of having to pay even MORE to watch TV, particularly if you only watch Freeview or Freesat. Even with Virgin Media, you'd still have to pay more and contribute money to him. No other pay TV company could compete with him, they'd likely either join him or go bust as he puts them out of business. Murdoch is a ruthless man who wants full control and focuses on the end goal. And under a monopoly, prices go up - you'll be paying far more than £12 a month for the same right to watch TV if Murdoch is given so much power as the Tories (and New Labour too) threatened to give him prior to the phone hacking scandal.

And that's before the fact that Murdoch does not care at all about public service broadcasting - he only cares about profit.
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    But aren't the majority of those commercial and subscription channels showing the same sort of American crap?

Unfortunately YES
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not cast as champions of the little man. Sky have chosen to use the same system of TV as the BBC. Sky has less will to provide free TV as the BBC do. There is no way you can watch Sky content on demand, thus negating the need to buy a TV licence, without paying for it.

You can watch the majority of BBC programming, as well as ITV and Channel 4 without a licence as long as you don't watch it live. It is only Sky that doesn't afford you that luxury.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    A strong BBC is a must. The blatent way that NC has coerced Mr Cameron & Mr Osborne to serve up the stifling of OFCOM & scaling back of the BBC in return for the support of NI's titles is a national disgrace of self interest over public interest. Mr Murdoch just wants to be the dominant player, he wants to put everything behind a paywall & while a large state funded broadcaster does it for free then Mr Murdoch attempts to get news / information behind a paywall will falter.

Mr Murdoch doesnt need to coerce people to subscribe to Sky , he corerces the politicians to make his ideals happen so that Sky gets to be the big player & the people will then have no choice but to use Sky to access channels etc. Mr Murdoch wants us to pay him regardless if we have Sky or not & until the phone hacking scandal , then it seemed that the pathway to him being the dominant player would be obstacle free. Hats off to the press for getting stuck into this & in getting Mr Camerons cosy little chats about BSkyB into the open , because it needs airing that we have a man in charge who was willing to sell the state broadcaster down the river in order for a media mogul he was in thrall to get his desire to be the dominant force. The cowtowing to Murdoch by previous governments has been nothing but disgraceful, but it would seem that this latest attempt for Mr Murdoch to seal his place as top dog has been the straw that broke the camels back.

I find paying £145 for the TVL to be money for old rope , but id rather pay a state run broadcaster this , than someone who's business dealings, nationality changes etc & ethics to be dubious. The current fiasco only reafirms why this man & his company should be kept as far away from this country as humanly possible. The toxification of the nation be it sport thats totaly reliant upon his money , politicians , the police is almost mafia esque in its scope.

:)
  • Options
    TodTod Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We voted for the government, thus it IS democratic!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 or more million actually! Not getting what they want elsewhere I guess.

No doubt the top echelons of the BBC are opening the champagne bottles to celebrate Murdochs latest troubles with phone hacking gate..... but sooner or later their time will come when their multi billion gravy train will hit the buffers..... it cant come soon enough.

Agreed.

loads of people quite freely pay for Sky - 10 million of 'em - while 25 million households pay for the BBC under threat of criminality if they don't but still want FTA or other TV.

I choose not to have Sky.

I wonder what that figure would be if the BBC subscription were voluntary!!
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member

I choose not to have Sky.

Looking at the poorly circulated Guardian or Independent should give you a clue. ;)
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £145 a year against my wishes.... I subscribe to the BBC whether I like it or not !

just like any number of other publicly funded services then.

life's a bitch sometimes.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »

Iain
    Not had any letters inquiring if I'm committing the criminal offence of reading books at home without paying the compulsory fee first. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    .... " if you have a TV monitor in your house, then you must... by law ..... pay the BBC £145 per
    year or face procecution and a possible prison sentance."...

You cannot be imprisoned for not having a tv licence; maximum penalty is a fine of up to £1000.*

If you do not pay the fine then you would be in contempt of court and could face a prison term but that is true of any fine that you do not pay.

*AIUI, fines are based on 'ability to pay' and the current average fine is in the region of £400.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

More than Sky if new British, programming is what people want - and based on popularity in Sky homes.

Trouble is, that would lead to a more commercial BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot be imprisoned for not having a tv licence; maximum penalty is a fine of up to £1000.*
    Not according to BBC News!
    A Welsh language activist has been imprisoned for 10 days after refusing to pay for a TV licence.

That's quite clearly "...imprisoned for 10 days after refusing to pay for a TV licence."
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    If newspapers are dying then media groups such as Daily Mail Trust and Northern and Shell will need their television assets to be more lucrative.
    This will force Trinity Mirror to the television business.

For the future of media plurality in this country as a whole, the BBC has to be dismantled slowly in Broadcasting, Internet and Radio.

The monopoly state broadcasting must end and let other established British media group have more of an opportunity or we are all stuffed!
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »

Iain

I'm struggling with the idea of the BBC as a public service.
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    When the Television Licence first came out, it cost coppers

The first combined b&w TV/radio licence cost £3 in 1946. That's £100 in today's money. Double the £49 for a b&w licence today.

The first colour TV/radio licence cost £10 in 1968, that's £135 in today's money, compared to £145.50 today. BUT we get so much more radio & TV for our licence fee these days.

/ Plus bbc.co.uk too.