EE - Ian and Phil - feud, bullying or outright abuse?

sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
Forum Member
Am I the only one who is becoming increasingly disturbed by the presentation of Ian and Phil's so-called 'feud' in EastEnders, especially the slightly indifferent attitude of the story team to Ian's plight?

What we are seeing, and have been seeing for over a decade now, is actually a disturbing bullying story arc akin to Esther in Hollyoaks but with none of the ethical responsibility that comes with it, such as punishment or condemnation of the bully and widespread empathy for the victim. There is a lingering sense that Ian 'deserves' his abuse because he is an unsympathetic character who is being chastised, but is this the case? Ian seems to have very similar traits to Bianca, to pick a random example - socially aggressive, selfish, prone to adultery, ambiguous parenting skills. However, if Bianca was subjected to bog washing (actually waterboarding), ABH, GBH, extreme verbal abuse, false kidnapping, intimidation of family members, financial theft, damage to property and any other number of incidents, this would be Mo and Trevor, not a faux-comic knockabout by Phil and 'squeal' Beale.

Why on earth are the writers so ambivalent to Ian's genuinely horrific situation? To take an example, remember when Ian was coerced into playing 'slapsies' with Phil in the Vic? If you watch it again, look at the expressions of glee on the faces of the regulars as Ian is about to get be assaulted. It is very creepy indeed.

The situation is deeply irresponsible when you think of the young viewers who watch EastEnders, some of whom are secondary school age and may well be going through some of the same things as Ian. Why the hell are the story team content to suggest that a) the bully will never, ever be punished, so matter how vicious the humiliation or physical assault and b) the victim might actually deserve it? I know that recently we have been seeing some signs that the abuse is taking its toll on Ian, but can you really see him getting any substantial justice or closure? Introducing the Mo and Trevor analogy again, Phil should definitely be punished for what he has done, but it is never going to happen.

Am I alone on this? Maybe I don't get what the writers are trying to do. It seems that Ian's abuse is used periodically to re-assert Phil's status as a dominant character, but the form it takes is utterly indifferent to the real-life experiences felt by bullying victims, some of whom maybe very young indeed.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    No - you are not alone; but this has been out of hand since the gratuitous bullying of Ian by the Mitchell brothers back in 2006 - which people on here generally cheered. It's disgusting really.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's never really been a few has it? It's just flat out bullying from Phil's side.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's never really been a few has it? It's just flat out bullying from Phil's side.

That's why they need to make Peter Beale a strong character who sticks up for his dad. Instead he is scared of Phil as well
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why they need to make Peter Beale a strong character who sticks up for his dad. Instead he is scared of Phil as well

bib: EE law, sadly.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why Phil has lasted this long is beyond me. Yes he was good in the old days when Grant was in it. But now he's just a vile bully for the sake of it. I mean taking it out on Ian that Lola and Peter want to date is just pathetic!
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No Ian needs to stand up for himself instead of letting everyone walk over him. I mean of Phil bullies him then you may as well say most of the square does from time to time.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love when Ian is smug and gets one over on Phil.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    I would love to see Ian get the better of Phil for once. I can't understand how Phil's character is so popular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I would love to see Ian get the better of Phil for once. I can't understand how Phil's character is so popular.

Well that's the problem. I don't think Phil is that popular.
  • sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I would love it if they treated the storyline for what it is and forced Phil to account for his actions in the same way as Trevor or any other abuser. If a concerned police offer did a bit of digging and put everything that has happened together, I am certain that Phil would be charged with torture. Which is actually horrific when you think about it. But the writers don't seem to care that much, or aren't fully committed to being ethically responsible.
  • dickronsondickronson Posts: 2,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sloe_gin wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is becoming increasingly disturbed by the presentation of Ian and Phil's so-called 'feud' in EastEnders, especially the slightly indifferent attitude of the story team to Ian's plight?

What we are seeing, and have been seeing for over a decade now, is actually a disturbing bullying story arc akin to Esther in Hollyoaks but with none of the ethical responsibility that comes with it, such as punishment or condemnation of the bully and widespread empathy for the victim. There is a lingering sense that Ian 'deserves' his abuse because he is an unsympathetic character who is being chastised, but is this the case? Ian seems to have very similar traits to Bianca, to pick a random example - socially aggressive, selfish, prone to adultery, ambiguous parenting skills. However, if Bianca was subjected to bog washing (actually waterboarding), ABH, GBH, extreme verbal abuse, false kidnapping, intimidation of family members, financial theft, damage to property and any other number of incidents, this would be Mo and Trevor, not a faux-comic knockabout by Phil and 'squeal' Beale.

Why on earth are the writers so ambivalent to Ian's genuinely horrific situation? To take an example, remember when Ian was coerced into playing 'slapsies' with Phil in the Vic? If you watch it again, look at the expressions of glee on the faces of the regulars as Ian is about to get be assaulted. It is very creepy indeed.

The situation is deeply irresponsible when you think of the young viewers who watch EastEnders, some of whom are secondary school age and may well be going through some of the same things as Ian. Why the hell are the story team content to suggest that a) the bully will never, ever be punished, so matter how vicious the humiliation or physical assault and b) the victim might actually deserve it? I know that recently we have been seeing some signs that the abuse is taking its toll on Ian, but can you really see him getting any substantial justice or closure? Introducing the Mo and Trevor analogy again, Phil should definitely be punished for what he has done, but it is never going to happen.

Am I alone on this? Maybe I don't get what the writers are trying to do. It seems that Ian's abuse is used
    periodically to re-assert Phil's status as a dominant character, but the form it takes is utterly indifferent to the real-life experiences felt by bullying victims, some of whom maybe very young indeed.

I'm glad you bought this up. The bullying of Ian as a character has always sat very heavy with me, I've never understood why it is supposed to be funny? Ian can be a bit annoying, but has always been an essentially decent man who works hard to make something of himself and provide for his kids. Yet he is constantly derided, humiliated and even physically assaulted again and again, apparently for shits and giggles by Philth and the other losers on the square, most of whom wouldn't even know the meaning of ambition.

Ben should have been raised by Ian, not Phil.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in the good old days what Ian and Phil had going on was a feud, it was two sided however in recent years it has just become Phil bullying, abusing and belittling Ian which i agree is uncomfortable to watch. The last time i can really recall Ian getting one over on Phil was in 2005 when Phil was on the run and Ian tricked him, pretending he was going to help him escape and grassed him up to the police, he then smugly gloated as Phil was carted off by the police. Since Phil's return from prison in late 2005 it does seem to have become a one-sided, prolonged series of physical and mental abuse from Phil directed at Ian.
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its disgusting the way phil bullys Ian but hey ho cause hes such an iconic character in the square its allowed, people will ring in and complain about a gay kiss between two innocent kid yet theres no uproar when a grown man is showing thuggish bullying behaviour intimidating ian. Yes people can say grow some balls, but this was his step son whos grown up with the intimidation had his head shoved down a bog hes bound to have mental scars. Both Adam Woodyatt and Steve Mc are great actors (they must secretly have lots of fun in those scenes) but as i said you dont hear the same uproar from complainers
  • VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think before Ian's breakdown it was meant to be a hilarious feud between the two of them.

But considering Ian's fragile mental state I just find the scenes horrible to watch. For a him to always have Phil towering over him, making threats - must be an awful life.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    dickronson wrote: »
    I'm glad you bought this up. The bullying of Ian as a character has always sat very heavy with me, I've never understood why it is supposed to be funny? Ian can be a bit annoying, but has always been an essentially decent man who works hard to make something of himself and provide for his kids. Yet he is constantly derided, humiliated and even physically assaulted again and again, apparently for shits and giggles by Philth and the other losers on the square, most of whom wouldn't even know the meaning of ambition.

Ben should have been raised by Ian, not Phil.

Sadly, the people who find it funny are generally closet bullies themselves.

I too would like the writing team to have the courage to show Phil on a charge of ABH for this. But, for some reason the more twisted viewers like to see a man bulliud to the point of a nervous breakdown, so Phil is a popular character. To them, it's great tea-time entertainment.>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe somebody should complain to eastenders about this. It seems a lot of people who don't like Phil's treatment of Ian yet it's been going on for 20 years now! I suppose it was funny at first when Ian deserved it for being a weasel and interfered in his mums relationship with Phil. But Ian's mentally ill now. Leave the poor bloke alone!
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    Sadly, the people who find it funny are generally closet bullies themselves.
    :(

>:(

That's as stupid as saying those of us who loved watching Silas 'do his work' are potential serial killers.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    Filiman wrote: »
    No - you are not alone; but this has been out of hand since the gratuitous bullying of Ian by the Mitchell brothers back in 2006 - which people on here generally cheered. It's disgusting really.

Completely agree. It is bullying pure and simple and always has been. So Ian was a bit of a prick when Phil started dating Kathy, he didn't deserve the response he got (the first toilet dunking) and it has got progressively worse since then. Phil is the most obvious example but loads of people have bullied Ian over the years, Tom, Connor (was it - the Irish cousin), Bianca, Max and I think we are just supposed to find it funny and think he 'deserves' it because why, he can be a bit of a smug prat sometimes?
    Forum Member
    No Ian needs to stand up for himself instead of letting everyone walk over him. I mean of Phil bullies him then you may as well say most of the square does from time to time.

Which doesn't excuse it and you could argie that some of them take their lead from Phil. I mean, if his own stepfather (for that's when it started) treats him like shit, why shouldn't we?
  • loco_localoco_loca Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think it is scared of Phil, he just doesn't know how to deal with the situation in a way that wouldn't place him in a position above his old man. If my dad was getting bullied, I'd find it pretty hard to deal with because I wouldn't want to a job my Dad was incapable of doing.

That being said, I find it hard to feel sorry for Ian because he hasn't shown himself to be a good person. If he had strength he would be the bully, as he has shown when he's had the underhand.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Which doesn't excuse it and you could argie that some of them take their lead from Phil. I mean, if his own stepfather (for that's when it started) treats him like shit, why shouldn't we?

Not really Shirley calling him a weasel etc had nothing to do with Phil its because she don't respect him.

Problem with Ian he don't know how to treat people. People in this thread make it seem like Phil just goes up to Ian and picks on him. There have been reasons Phil flashed his head down the bog and other stuff Phil has done.

If were going to get Phil on ABH, GBH, charges then we might as charge the whole square.

I agree something's that Phil does are uncomfortable to watch but Phil treats everyone the same way.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil is an idiot
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil bullying Ian some people are disgusting cheering it on? lol

I love it when Phil bullies Ian I hope for more bog washes.
    Forum Member
    Not really Shirley calling him a weasel etc had nothing to do with Phil its because she don't respect him.

Problem with Ian he don't know how to treat people. People in this thread make it seem like Phil just goes up to Ian and picks on him. There have been reasons Phil flashed his head down the bog and other stuff Phil has done.

If were going to get Phil on ABH, GBH, charges then we might as charge the whole square.

I agree something's that Phil does are uncomfortable to watch but Phil treats everyone the same way.

I said you could argue it, not that it was certainly the case. However, I think the attitude of the 'King' of the Square will have some bearing on things. A kid at School is much more likely to be bullied by the majority of the kids if the most popular kid or the one they are scared of, want to be in their gang is already doing it. It is pack mentality qnd doesn't really change from childhood to adulthood.

Put it another way, would people be as likely to bully and belittle him if they thought they were going to have to deal with Phil sticking up for him because he is 'family'?

I do agree with you that Ian does have an unfortunate manner and I think that he just isn't very likeable. People take a dislike to him and then try and justify it by saying he has behaved badly so 'deserves' to be belittled when really he hasn't. He just, unfortunately, has the aura of a victim which people pick up on and hone in on - especially bullies like phil and Shirley.
    Forum Member
    Whose head has Pohil flushed down the loo except Ian?

And can someone please tell me what prompted each flushing? First time was in a restaurant because Ian was being an arse at Kathy dating Ian which I agree he needed pulling up on but not like that. What did he do to 'deserve' each other attack?

Also, what did Ian do to deserve Phil making him get down on his knees to beg for the cash to stop his bankruptcy (wasting time when he might have got it from someone else) only to be told 'no' and then have Phil laugh as he was led away by the Bailiffs?