Options

Gotham (UK Pace) - Starts Monday 13th October 9pm

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm more annoyed that selina Kyle saw bruce waynes folks being offed.

I don't what be a comic book duche, but that was never in the comics;-)

Well the simple explanation for that could be that this series is taking part in a different part of the DC Multiverse.

I wonder if the mention of the killer of Mr and Mrs Wayne wearing a black mask was a nod to this Batman enemy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mask_(comics)
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I'm a big Batman fan but I just found it ok for a first episode. I felt like they were trying to force in too many references to Batman with the Riddler and Poison Ivy bits. I hope they cut back on that in future episodes.I don't mind a few hints towards Batman mythology but not too many!

I guess I felt a bit let down as it had been hyped up so much before I saw it!

I'm really hoping that the comedian isn't The Joker as that seems the obvious route to go down and I would like them to take a different way of they do introduce him as planned!
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was an excellent start. Liked the characters, actors and writing, production values were good. Hope they can build on it.
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ads didn't impress me (I assumed from them it was going to be far too gritty/serious and mob based)....but the actual show itself was great. Far more of a "Batman" vibe than I was expecting.

Really looking forward to seeing how the series and characters evolve.
  • Options
    AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    It was absolutely terrible.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, know I will get blasted for this.

But I was getting a Sin City vibe from it.

Selena looks around 14 or 15 and Bruce 10 or 11 years old.
  • Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    Okay, know I will get blasted for this.

But I was getting a Sin City vibe from it.

Selena looks around 14 or 15 and Bruce 10 or 11 years old.

I think I know what you mean; the visual aesthetic was quite stylised and it added to the feeling of the show making it feel like Gotham.

I thought Selena and Bruce looked about the same age.

Overall I enjoyed the pilot but I agree with the DS review that some of the dialogue being clunky; I also thought it was a bit too fast paced, trying to cram too much into the episode including a few too many cameos. Hopefully the future episodes will ease into things and not feel the need to hand hold and use easter eggs all the time.
  • Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im just kidding.....:D

So far this had been one big 'nerdgasam'

Catwoman, penguin, riddler.....

I wonder if Montoya is still a lesbian?

I don't know the character but her conversation with Barbara made me think that that might be the case i.e. they have a history.
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guns ,guns and more guns...no wonder America is so f***ed up
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow! Great ratings for Gotham with channel 5 making BBC2 numbers.
    And its got a 22 episode pick up in USA.
    Looks amazing.
    Hope its repeated because i missed it.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guns ,guns and more guns...no wonder America is so f***ed up

This is the weird thing. Gordon wants to go the law abiding route: he is doomed to fail because Gotham needs Batman who is screwed up. The trouble is many in the US advocate vigilantism: we see the shoot first think about the consequences later. In the Spaghetti Westerns and Dirty Harry films Clint would 'take care of business'.

What I don't like about this is the gratuitous nature of the violence. I have seen all the episodes and it just carries on. In TWD you have some characters who try to uphold their humanity. Sin City you could see is from a graphic novel so the violence is stylised. This has a 'real' feel to it so for me there is something unsavoury about feeding people's enjoyment of violence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Maybe I'm the only one but I quite enjoyed it. I know it's based on comic books but not too sure on JPS character Fish Mooney at the moment, feel the way she acts and talks is like she has jumped straight out of a comic instead of keeping up with the updated version of a television show. Will keep watching at the moment though, so fingers crossed it can only get better and the other half is a huge Marvel/DC fan!
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was ok , not sure how they're gonna keep Bruce in the mix .

the penguin and the riddler looked awfully alike , I kept mixing them up .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was great fun, really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I just caught up with it on Demand 5 and really enjoyed it, maybe it helps that I don't know too much about the Batman universe - yes, I know obvious character names, enough to make some connections here, but I never read the comics and haven't really seem much tv/films. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses :)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »

I'm really hoping that the comedian isn't The Joker as that seems the obvious route to go down and I would like them to take a different way of they do introduce him as planned!

I've read somewhere that over the course of the series we will see several characters who we are meant to believe could end up being Mr J
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I'm hooked - loved every minute of it - and more Barbara please.;-)

And that joke - I'd like to die like my old dad, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming like his passengers - wasn't that one of Bob Monkhouse's.:o
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Alfred the butler and commissioner Gordon? How can they be brothers? Not convinced with Ben McKenzie playing Gordon. Hopefully he will get better. Overall it wasn't too bad.
    I spent most of the episode thinking about who the actor reminded me of. It's an amalgamation of Shia Lebeurf, Ed Norton and Mark Wahlberg.

Or is there someone else he is the double for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched this early hours after a few drinks.

Who is Poison Ivy?
    Who is the Riddler?

I mean in the show. I've either missed them or fogotten already.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I watched this early hours after a few drinks.

Who is Poison Ivy?
    Who is the Riddler?

I mean in the show. I've either missed them or fogotten already.

The Riddler is the forensics guy, Edward Nygma. The one that kept posing riddles...

Poison Ivy... The little girl with the plants (daughter of the patsy) was referred to as "Ivy", although Poison Ivy's name is actually Pamela in the comics etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    The Riddler is the forensics guy, Edward Nygma. The one that kept posing riddles...

Poison Ivy... The little girl with the plants (daughter of the patsy) was referred to as "Ivy", although Poison Ivy's name is actually Pamela in the comics etc.
    Ok, can just about remember both.
    It's a bit all over the place if you're not a comic fan and only going by the movies :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It suffers from trying to fit as many references as possible into one episode.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

What forensics guy? Has he been introduced yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't remember the forensics guy leaving clues everywhere last night.