This new trend for wrecking old songs for adverts..

riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
Forum Member
✭✭
I have to admit it's really starting to irritate me. I can't even remember offhand most of them, but I do remember feeling annoyed each time I heard another perfectly good song f*cked up almost beyond recognition with dragging out the tempo and basically changing the melody. The latest one I can think of is an ad for some programme called Red Rock where they use Tears for Fears Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and I had to hear it a second time to actually recognise what song it was! I just don't get why they have to re-hash and massacre decent music for their adverts, I really don't!

Ok, rant over now! :cool:

Comments

• riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the one I am referring to. it's for an Irish TV channel, so most of you probably wouldn't have seen it, but there are plenty more on British telly.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=A211IE662&p=tv3+red+rock+advert
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has never been a time when they didn't use old songs/music for adverts.

If you're as old as me you'll remember "Everyone's a fruit and nutcase" for Cadbury's fruit and nut. Google tells me the advert came out in 1976 and I know that the music was written by Tchaikovsky.

So no; not a new thing by any stretch of the imagination!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    There has never been a time when they didn't use old songs/music for adverts.

If you're as old as me you'll remember "Everyone's a fruit and nutcase" for Cadbury's fruit and nut. Google tells me the advert came out in 1976 and I know that the music was written by Tchaikovsky.

So no; not a new thing by any stretch of the imagination!

I don't mind them using old music, at least the Cadbury ad kept the original melody! it's the messing around with the whole air of a song that I meant, reminds me of the state of Cliff Richard's Silent Night! just awful! >:(
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    The ones that really get on my tits are the ones where they take a classic song from the 70s/80s, originally sung by a man, then they stick a godawful twee, girly vocal on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    The ones that really get on my tits are the ones where they take a classic song from the 70s/80s, originally sung by a man, then they stick a godawful twee, girly vocal on it.

Yes I agree