canon camera won't turn off after downloading: help please

ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
Forum Member
My Canon Powershot S21S camera will not turn off after I've downloaded to my computer via usb. It used to but the last 2 times the on light stays on - refuses to respond to pushing the off button or unplugging the usb cable. Last time I had to wait for the batteries to run flat. I love the camera which takes good photos and really good quality short video clips so if it needs fixing, I'll get it fixed (out of warranty). Can't see anything in the manual under troubleshooting.
Does anyone have any idea on what may be wrong and what I can do to remedy it? thanks.

Comments

• CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    My Canon 400D sometimes does funny things when I immediately remove the memory card are turning it off or immediately turning it on after I put in the memory card - the solution is to physically remove the batteries, but I've no idea why it does it.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    that's what I'm doing (removing a battery overnight) to get the yellow download light to stay off. However I've not touched the memory card at all.
    Any ideas anyone on whether this is a serious problem or I can just solve it - although bit irritating.
  • leoleo Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The easiest way to solve it is to use a memory card reader rather than connect your camera via USB. Memory card readers are often very fast compared to USB, and don't use up camera batteries.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    thanks. Do you have any recomms? There seem to be a lot out there.
  • leoleo Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks. Do you have any recomms? There seem to be a lot out there.

I recently got this one from amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-15-1-Microdrive-MMCmobile/dp/B000CDITCQ/ref=sr_1_1/026-2712355-4780450?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193004758&sr=8-1 - if theres anything you want to buy from there that's below £15, then buy the two together and you get free delivery.

Otherwise most will do. The high street tends to be pretty expensive, so it's better to buy online. You could probably get one for a few pounds or less if you shopped around.