Options

Printing e-mails

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Whenever I print an e-mail (paper set to A4) it comes out as a narrow band down the middle of the page using about three times as much space as it should. I assume this is something to do with the settings - any ideas please ?

Comments

• Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you printing from a browser or client and what one are you using?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just from my computer onto a Canon printer
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

We need to know exactly what you are using to view and print the e-mail. That means are you using a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or whatever or an e-mail client program such as Thunderbird.

Also does the printout match how the e-mail appears on screen, ie is it also in a thin band down the middle of the screen?

But without knowing what you are using and how you are using it there is no way to offer specific help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

And what are you using to view the email ? What application do you go into to 'login' to see the emails?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am using Internet Explorer. Yes it appears as a thin band on the screen. But if I print anything else (a letter for instance) there is no problem and it comes out as ''normal.''
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want it the same as your letter, then you will have to copy and paste the email into whatever it is you compose your letters in, then print it.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt you are using Internet Explorer to write letters and I also doubt you are setting the page margins in whatever software you do use so wide that the text appears as a thin band down the middle of the page.

That is effectively what is happening with the e-mail. The printout is attempting to mimic what you see on screen. And what you see on screen is a page of text with wide left and right margins set. So that is how it prints.

What e-mail service are you using? There may be options on the web page you view messages on to change the layout to one more suited to printing. Also which specific version of IE are you using as there may be options in IE to change the layout (and in typical Microsoft fashion may differ between versions!)

If you cannot lay out the text in IE to suit printing then you might have to change tactics. A simple work around would be to copy the text of the message from IE and paste it into a word processor program,. Then use the word processor to lay out the text properly.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With IE 11:

click on the cog (top right corner)
    choose Print, then Print preview
    click on the cog to the left of the menu
    there should be a set of margin widths in millimeters
    adjust these (Mine are all defaulted to 19.05) then hit okay
    You can now hit the X to close the preview
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Tried all that but no difference. I am using Windows Live Mail for the e-mails.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be very clear about what you are using. Assume we are thick.

Is this Windows Live Mail 2012 Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331) and you are trying to print an Email from this ?

Or are you refering to Outlook Mail, using the Webmail interface with IE, and how exactly are you doing this ?

Printing from within Outlook Mail ? or from IE ?

I think you need to Print from within Outlook Mail. In the blue bar at the top go to 3 dots Menu and Print.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is Windows Live Mail 2012 version as you say and I'm trying to print an e-mail from it

Where do I find Outlook Mail

I have Outlook but can't see Mail
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, we get there, at last.... I do use Windows Live Mail 2012, but I don't get that problem in printing Emails.

As an alternative you can sign in to Outlook Mail Webmail interface directly using IE and Print from Outlook Mail as I suggested in #11, last line.

My Outlook Mail is being "upgraded" at the end of June (apparently), so, what that means I don't have any idea at the moment, maybe this has happened to you.
    Outlook Mail sign in is here (same as MS Account):
    https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&ct=1394490069&rver=6.1.6206.0&sa=1&ntprob=-1&wp=MBI_SSL_SHARED&wreply=https:%2F%2Fmail.live.com%2F%3Fowa%3D1%26owasuffix%3Dowa%252f&id=64855&snsc=1&cbcxt=mail