Options

Quick question about the price of sweetcorn

droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is a sweetcorn cob expensive compared to a packet of frozen sweetcorn? There's less actual sweetcorn on a cob.

Is it weight and transport costs?

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's cos they employ hundreds of poor folk up North to stick the niblets on the cobs for the rich folk down South
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just seasonal. If you eat a cob out of season, they don't taste very nice, but canned and frozen ones can be prepared when they are in season and sold all year round. You're just paying more for the luxury of eating direct from the cob in it's prime!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Corn on the cob is delicious isn't it.............with real butter, salt and pepper...........

Sweetcorn is nice as well but doesn't come anywhere near as good as corn on the cob..............
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Corn on the cob is delicious isn't it.............with real butter, salt and pepper...........

Sweetcorn is nice as well but doesn't come anywhere near as good as corn on the cob..............

I love corn on the cob with lemon juice, butter and chillie flakes. Sometimes I have it with butter, lemon and black pepper. A very versatile vegetable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I love corn on the cob with lemon juice, butter and chillie flakes. Sometimes I have it with butter, lemon and black pepper. A very versatile vegetable.

although I love it it's not something I have very often because I'm worried about my old teeth............scraping at the cob might pull fillings out.................:eek:
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    although I love it it's not something I have very often because I'm worried about my old teeth............scraping at the cob might pull fillings out.................:eek:

have you ever eaten a cob? they corn just falls off. How can you eat anything if your worried about your teeth falling out? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a broken drain put me off sweetcorn for life.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you're worried about fillings coming out then I think you are eating it wrong
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »

I use a tooth pick gently. Luckily I hardly ever have any stuck in my fillings. My mum used to gargle with mouth wash and they got rid of any sweet corn that got stuck in between her teeth.