Options

Is bb16 the worst produced bb ever?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Lou17 wrote: »
    For me a fan since series 1 this is honestly my worst series. Contrary to a current collective view regarding Bb4 I found it rather enjoyable at the time and they had an endearing cast it was unfortunately surrounded by epic series.

This series has had the most negative, controlled and neutral hms we've ever seen they've been far too similar in ways and age, they've appeared to bring the worstout in one another.

There have been odd gem in there that I feel would've thrived in a less negative house.

For me Marc and the exes saved the show but without incorporating these characters late on this series would have died a slow and painful death.

The house has been so poisonous and one dimensional that even the exes have come across in a very negative light also.

For me the interference, outside information, manipulation of the noms has killed this series too.

It's been all around shambles imo, I've disliked winners before, moaned about the production but this has holes in every aspect of the show. It's been overwhelmingly negative, and flawed.

They'll need to reconsider what types of hms who their gonna invite to take part and more careful deliberation is gonna have to go into for proper selection.
  • Options
    johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc going when clearly he was not meant to - might just prove this statement to be correct.

Marc was working to be be evicted, it was all part of the BB plan. He was just put in to make a mess of everything, which apparently is good for viewing figures, then leave. One way or another.
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    Their need for a TOWIE audience is just stupid really, no wonder why bb is so juvenile these days and pretty trivial as well. >:(

I have to wonder why you still watch when most of your posts are very critical. OK, I will concede some of the things I am not happy with but there is also a lot that I do like. If I was as unhappy as you seem to be, I would just turn off (which I actually did for a few days)
  • Options
    Friendly FaceFriendly Face Posts: 1,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series must have had the worst ideas of any of the previous shows by far.
    They should keep it simple with well thought out interactive tasks and avoid selecting wannabe fame seekers in favour of normal people - even if it means they have to approach people and not rely on applicants who are willing to appear in cringeworthy videos as part of the application process.
  • Options
    Friendly FaceFriendly Face Posts: 1,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeanoj wrote: »
    I have to wonder why you still watch when most of your posts are very critical. OK, I will concede some of the things I am not happy with but there is also a lot that I do like. If I was as unhappy as you seem to be, I would just turn off (which I actually did for a few days)

If you like the original concept of BB then you can still get a very small enjoyment out of it. I record every show but fast forward about 90% of it. When it's the live show it's about 98%!
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Some really great posts and reasoned opinions here as ever...

Would it be an idea to collect a few of these very detailed threads/posts together (at least the links) and send them to all the 'right' people? :confused:

This is my last BB so it won't help me, but there are some cracking people here among the loons (:p), many of whom might be surprised how well I know them and respect their opinions - agree or not - as I lurked for many a year before joining and posting and remember what I call the 'golden years' of the forum as an entertained onlooker.

I have a lot of time to spare around this time of year and being on here and seeing the great posts and love for the show despite how bad it's become have kept me going through these last couple of years, so thanks guys <3

Right that's my Gwyneth Paltrow moment over!
    Admit that it's not an easy job for the production staff however there's no excuse for a lot of mistakes they've made from this year's show. Even the bb boss and the channel 5 boss aren't getting on either, hence why the show isn't run smoothly currently. :(

I'd love to hear more about this if poss, has it been gone into on a thread I missed at all? (Don't want to derail this one any more :blush:)
    The thing that annoys me most of all like I've said before is manufactured rows and need for more and more nastiness and ill feeling amongst each hm. PEJ if he was still working for endemol would be appalled and disgusted with what bb has become and the fact channel 5s target audience is 16 to 30 year olds. I'm 34 years of age so obviously I'm surplus to their requirements if you see what I mean. >:(

And so many of the biggest and most loyal fans are in this age bracket and above, also often with the most disposable income to vote with if they so wish :( They will never capture the TOWIE market...such a waste of their time and ours, their money, and possibly the future of the show on their channel...
    atko wrote: »
    I think that's why most of the original BB audience still watch just to see how low they will stoop. They somehow manage beat the previous one just when you think they can't get any lower, lol!

I decided at 4 in 4 out that this is my last after Jack fighting for the immunity box of launch night 'because of the colour'. I'm so glad, I've been vindicated at every turn :) They can't go any lower imo without it getting really nasty, or even more vulnerable people than we've had in the past thrown in, and I don't want to see it. I'm leaving on a 'it's so bad it's classic' high with a great laugh at production - my last laugh will be on them :D

The one thing they did get right this year was the casting. The Housemates who entered on Launch had a really nice dynamic that could have grown nicely. I've always liked adding a couple of new people in as well - I'd have been fine with Harry, Marc and Sam going in to add something to the House had they not replaced Harriet, Kieran and Sarah (I don't include Simon or the twins, because as the twins went first I see them as the normal eviction for that week, and I don't think Simon should have been evicted on Launch Night in the first place - that was silly). They had a good bunch of Housemates and BB16 had the potential to save Big Brother, and work towards getting ratings back. The producers screwed it up, and I haven't watched it for about a week and a half because I was getting bored, just like last year. I may tune in again for the final, or I may not, we'll see.

Soz for snipping your long and articulate post. I don't believe the pass last year was an experiment at all - everything points to a fix for me, but that's old news.

I couldn't agree more with every single word of this - I can't say more than that, you've put it perfectly :)

I also agree there's life in the format yet if properly handled. I enjoyed a lot of BB14 despite a less than stellar cast on the whole (this year's opening crew was far stronger imo) - and that was even with all the Secrets and Lies rubbish and so much played back to the house, etc. But too much of that gets stale fast and they have to up the ante. I agree there's life in the old format too - very much so - so I would absolutely love a return to that, ideally, I just can't afford to waste another summer thinking 'this may be the year, please let this be the year they get back to basics' so am bowing out when I am 'only' two summers down!
    johnan wrote: »
    Marc was working to be be evicted, it was all part of the BB plan. He was just put in to make a mess of everything, which apparently is good for viewing figures, then leave. One way or another.

Like **** he was! He's already begging to go back in!!! And the punch drunk look on his face throughout the eviction and interview was priceless! Classic HM, didn't like the way he behaved at times, disgusted at other points, but so glad he got immunity to stay in longer (so long as he didn't win with his 'mini Helen' treatment). He is ten times the legend she is in the show's history imo :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jeanoj wrote: »

I'm very critical basically because I care. :)
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it is really. Never thought I'd say it, but the twists have been even worse than last year. Last year they were pretty awful, but at least they were original - the pass to the final and the killer nomination were worth trying once to see if they worked. They didn't work, and I'd have forgiven them for it if they'd learned their lesson. This year they just seem to have been getting more and more desperate.

A pass to the final was tried in Hijack BB. That HM won too.
  • Options
    AnyaJenAnyaJen Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I probably sound like a boring old fart, but my favourite era of BB was seasons 1 - 4. The time when the HMs had to be more self sufficient ( e.g. growing their own fruit and veg, collecting eggs from the chicken coop, making their own bread, etc). Now, everything's just handed to them. I'd love to see a new series with the theme, Self Sufficiency. Make them have to work hard for any luxuries.
  • Options
    TurbulenceTurbulence Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should just forget the twists and themes altogether next year. Just make a series like the first few: 12 contestants, no secret HM's or rooms, just the straight forward eviction, nomination, shopping task and other basic rules. They might even surprise themselves and it might actually turn out to be half decent.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they do an online survey of which they did last year and that'll be a great opportunity for us to state bits of bb of which we're blatantly unhappy with.

The online survey was on the main bb page a few days ago, it might still be there it pops up a few minutes after you've been on the page. It's been a terrible series I let them know that in the survey.
  • Options
    MutantXMutantX Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure their was a DS article stating that someone who worked in the American version had been appointed in a role which wa pivotal to BB....
  • Options
    J SwiftJ Swift Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we say again endemol and channel 5 aren't charities, nor are they charitable, their there to make money through phone votes and people watching as that increases advertising revenue. Unfortunately with the low viewing figures advertising revenue will probably drop for bb next year. Channel 5 and endemol seriously need to get their act together. >:(

Honestly, if Big Brother upsets you so much, just move on

And viewing figures (I'm hearing) are the highest since it's come to Channel 5

Now that's partly because it's just started broadcasting on TV3 - bringing in an extra half million or so - but also it's been less advertised over here, so that explains slightly lower domestic viewing figures ... Aisleyne's entrance night was the highest collated viewing figures since the Channel 4 days
  • Options
    J SwiftJ Swift Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnyaJen wrote: »
    I probably sound like a boring old fart, but my favourite era of BB was seasons 1 - 4. The time when the HMs had to be more self sufficient ( e.g. growing their own fruit and veg, collecting eggs from the chicken coop, making their own bread, etc). Now, everything's just handed to them. I'd love to see a new series with the theme, Self Sufficiency. Make them have to work hard for any luxuries.
    Turbulence wrote: »
    They should just forget the twists and themes altogether next year. Just make a series like the first few: 12 contestants, no secret HM's or rooms, just the straight forward eviction, nomination, shopping task and other basic rules. They might even surprise themselves and it might actually turn out to be half decent.

Either you've got rose-tinted spectacles, or you just like a very slow pace of entertainment

An American friend wanted to watch all the old British BBs, and going through them again now, you wouldn't believe how slow they could be and how little often happened

There was a novelty value in reality TV back then - we'd be willing to accept that it often took 2 or 3 weeks before ANYTHING happened ... BB4 was an abomination - that was the closest Big Brother came to being cancelled - it was just dull as dishwater, and they couldn't make it interesting
  • Options
    adwaltonadwalton Posts: 4,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atko wrote: »
    Many people have said this before about BB, not just about this series. This year though I don't think a lot of thought has gone in to a lot of the show. It's become very predictable not only to the viewer but equally as predictable for the housemates. They know what is going to happen all the time. Chloe supposedly guessed Marc hadn't been evicted & was in a secret room (correct), Joel guessed that Cash Bomb was going to happen (correct)! It's all way too predictable! They used to put a lot of effort & I would even say expense in to tasks but now they are very poor! They want a show of nastiness with very little fun. That's what they have got but it's not pretty to watch & boring when it's all through the series. It needs a complete makeover but hey, they don't listen to us, we're just the viewer!!

I totally agree with you. But unfortunately conflict and arguments are what some viewers want. They think everything is 'boring' if the HMs aren't slagging each other off all the time
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    The thing that annoys me most of all like I've said before is manufactured rows and need for more and more nastiness and ill feeling amongst each hm. PEJ if he was still working for endemol would be appalled and disgusted with what bb has become and the fact channel 5s target audience is 16 to 30 year olds. I'm 34 years of age so obviously I'm surplus to their requirements if you see what I mean. >:(

I don't think it's about ages. I'm 21 years old, and I don't want to see all that stuff you just described. I am completely on the same page as you, and in fact I find the idea that young people don't want more intellectual television quite insulting. I'm one of those people who watches everyone, that's why I watch Big Brother; I want to see what the Housemates are like and how they interact with one another. I don't even mind the occasional twist, so long as it doesn't completely detract from the rest of it.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other international BBs are more manipulated and IMO BB15 is still more manipulated than this year.

A shame really, BB12 was meh but best winner ever, BB13 was decent and bb14 was fantastic. These last two have ruined it. But with CBB the last few have been great quality (13,14 and 15). 13 remains my 2nd fave CBB after cbb4
  • Options
    bb2011fanbb2011fan Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you not watch last year?
    That was far far worst! Worst series in big brother history IMO
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J Swift wrote: »

Now that's partly because it's just started broadcasting on TV3 - bringing in an extra half million or so - but also it's been less advertised over here, so that explains slightly lower domestic viewing figures ... Aisleyne's entrance night was the highest collated viewing figures since the Channel 4 days

Where are you hearing that? And which viewing figures? Taken as a whole, bb16 has the lowest since the move to C5.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought BB11 was the worst produced ever.

The HLs shows were mainly comprised of incoherent mumbling under a quilt as the producers tried to force the dull showmance between Josie & the spineless misogynistic virgin, John-James down our throats, however, BB16 is the most manipulated & staged managed there's been to date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    J Swift wrote: »

I'll watch, but I'll never vote as I don't believe the edits, manipulation and tasks that suit particular hms. My days of voting for people in this show are officially over. :)