Options

Once Upon a Time: Season 4 (US pace)

1131415161719»

Comments

• Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So just read that Robin and Zerlina have been promoted to regulars. I have today that she is s Marmite character. Personally she irritates me like mad!

Makes sense for Robin to become a series regular going forward, interesting about Zelina though as I think (as was the original intention I believe), she was only supposed to be a guest star for the half season arc. I love the actress, don't like the character so hopefully they're going to improve that otherwise it'll be tedious as hell watching her chewing the scenery repeatedly.

Interesting casting news though for the whole Camelot arc: A black Merlin, a no colour defined Arthur and a Latino Guinevere :D
    In a recent casting call, the show's producers at ABC already have a certain "look" for the character. The call says that they are looking for "a black man around 30 to 40 years old, with a natural British accent. Merlin should be "a man with great wisdom and intelligence beyond his years, someone who has always put duty in front of his own desires, even at great personal cost."

With the search for Merlin taking the characters to Camelot, they will also encounter King Arthur of the Knights of the Round Table. As with Merlin, ABC has a particular character in mind: he must a "good and just ruler" but at the same time can be "a master manipulator who can carry a grudge to the grave, and maybe beyond." His love for Guinevere is an "eternal burning love" but "controlling." Like Merlin, he must be in his mid-30s to early 40s and must have a British accent.

One cannot have Arthur without her Queen, Guinevere. The casting call is looking for a Latina between her 20s and 30s to play a "headstrong queen" who falls in love with another Knight Lancelot. No casting call has been made for Lancelot, however.
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palmerwho wrote: »
    TV Line in their latest questions section has confirmed that a regular has dropped to recurring because of Zelena and Robins upgrade.
    Lyceum wrote: »
    I don't really see how last series he was a regular and Robin recurring given Robin was used far more than Will.
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Makes sense for Robin to become a series regular going forward, interesting about Zelina though as I think (as was the original intention I believe), she was only supposed to be a guest star for the half season arc.
    So does anyone have any idea what the actual difference between "regular" "recurring" and "guest star" is? Because I also can't see how Will was a regular and Robin only a recurring last season. :confused: And how is being a guest star for half a season any different to just being a regular or recurring for that half season? :confused::confused: I'm starting to suspect it must all just be to do with pay/benefits/what size trailer you get and not actually a reflection on how much screen time the character has. :p

Interesting casting news though for the whole Camelot arc: A black Merlin, a no colour defined Arthur and a Latino Guinevere :D
    Ooh, that is interesting. :D Good thing too because they could use a little more diversity in the cast. I wonder if they'll get the actor who played Lancelot in season 2 back, seeing as it says no casting call has been made for him that would make sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    I'm starting to suspect it must all just be to do with pay/benefits

It is indeed to do with pay scale and to where your name appears on the credits as well if I remember rightly from my Glee watching days :D
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is indeed to do with pay scale and to where your name appears on the credits as well if I remember rightly from my Glee watching days :D

It was really weird with Will as h was hardly used. I thin they must have contracted him as a regular as he was the most popular character on Wonderland. However, after contracting him they seemed to be at a loss as to wht to do with him.
  • Options
    LNSLNS Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    Me too. I suspect his commitment to Miranda got in the way.

Every time I see Sean Maguire, I just think Krod Mandoon .....
    I think so too...

My problem (not sure what else to call it) with Sean was way before OUAT, like i use to watch him on EastEnders and other things, and to me i dont find him a good actor and esp now looking at the cast of OUAT who are all so fantastic.
    Hence i kinda find Regina and Robin flat too. (i mean i understand they are meant to be but their story and so on seems flat)

So does anyone have any idea what the actual difference between "regular" "recurring" and "guest star" is? Because I also can't see how Will was a regular and Robin only a recurring last season. :confused: And how is being a guest star for half a season any different to just being a regular or recurring for that half season? :confused::confused: I'm starting to suspect it must all just be to do with pay/benefits/what size trailer you get and not actually a reflection on how much screen time the character has. :p

Regular means being in the main cast...
    Recurring means being in episode 3 or 4 episodes (and probably go off and do other shows i guess)
    Guest Stars means one episode special i guess
    Its basically means more money, and obviously main cast promotion and posters i guess.

I mean so far Belle is a plot device (from what i hear she was never meant to become a main cast, Belle was a one off but ppl loved Skin Deep episode so kept her) that pushes Rumple (for Rumple) Neal was a plot device - nothing was from his pov (he was always going to die, and no way was Rumple ever going to get his son back - thats the price of magic/dark magic), I think they had plans for Will but pushed it back i assume hence i still think they will do something will him if he just now recurring

Hook was always wanted since season 1, but couldnt get the rights to it in time. Season 2 they brought Colin. Colin/Hook was already signed on (i think they first offered him a 9 episode arc as recurring but made him main regular coz he was so fantastic, and his episode with Emma on the beanstalk worked out well/and chemistry- as that was what they were always planning to have Hook/Emma) they were impressed that they made the decision to make him a main regular before his first episode even aired.
    Eddy (one of the creators) also said that he was watching Colin's audition with his mouth open lol, and his wife walked by and his wife never watches any audition but she happened to walk by and saw, and told her hubby you better ****ing hire him lol (this was in the OUAT magazine)
    Also Hook was a character who had a backstory with Rumple which was big, he had ties with Cora, Regina and he's been alive for centuries - Hook was an individual character on its own with a rich backstory and a romantic partner for Emma, which is what he is also written to be as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, so pretty much irrelevant from an audience perspective. :p Got it. ;-)
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 ways you could go with Merlin. Someone like Nonso Anzoie (http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/29508/Nonso_Anozie_29508.jpg) who has already crossed the Atlantic starring in both TV and film in the States. Or you could go with the likes of Colin Salmon (http://img.poptower.com/pic-89188/colin-salmon.jpg?d=600) who is a very experienced British TV actor who has only really dabbled in American television. Or someone a bit more left field like Ray Fearon (http://36.media.tumblr.com/96f4f194cc7e710d4c43a8a88e842d27/tumblr_n5012yoG2V1tahs1ao3_500.jpg) who has only had limited success.

They would all bring something very different to the role, I think.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    LNS wrote: »
    Eddy (one of the creators) also said that he was watching Colin's audition with his mouth open lol, and his wife walked by and his wife never watches any audition but she happened to walk by and saw, and told her hubby you better ****ing hire him lol (this was in the OUAT magazine)

There's a OUAT magazine?
  • Options
    LNSLNS Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rosie Red wrote: »
    There's a OUAT magazine?

Used to be one.. around season 2 [exclusive interviews and so on] (i think about 2 or 3 issues came out - i cant remember) i only remember coz i got the article screen capture page of Jennifer who plays Emma talking about her and Hook - kindred spirits, connection, flame of hope to each other, and her journey. And Adam and Eddy saying they always wanted Hook, and do Neverland but couldnt get the rights to it, and so on)

Look here Google images for ONCE magazines - seems to be 3 issues out
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    LNS wrote: »
    Used to be one.. around season 2 [exclusive interviews and so on] (i think about 2 or 3 issues came out - i cant remember) i only remember coz i got the article screen capture page of Jennifer who plays Emma talking about her and Hook - kindred spirits, connection, flame of hope to each other, and her journey. And Adam and Eddy saying they always wanted Hook, and do Neverland but couldnt get the rights to it, and so on)

Look here Google images for ONCE magazines - seems to be 3 issues out

Thanks - will check out Ebay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, so pretty much irrelevant from an audience perspective. :p Got it. ;-)

Yup, utterly :D
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    3 ways you could go with Merlin. Someone like Nonso Anzoie (http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/29508/Nonso_Anozie_29508.jpg) who has already crossed the Atlantic starring in both TV and film in the States.

Or you could go with the likes of Colin Salmon (http://img.poptower.com/pic-89188/colin-salmon.jpg?d=600) who is a very experienced British TV actor who has only really dabbled in American television.

Or someone a bit more left field like Ray Fearon (http://36.media.tumblr.com/96f4f194cc7e710d4c43a8a88e842d27/tumblr_n5012yoG2V1tahs1ao3_500.jpg) who has only had limited success.

I'd love to see Colin Salmon doing it and I think he's no longer a recurring guest on Arrow so it's possible he'd be available :) and his name is already known in the US because of his role in the earlier seasons of Arrow.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A black 30-40 year old Merlin? you have got to be kidding - way to go to totally ruin a myth, and I thought the BBC had already done the worst job possible. Merlin should be a Gandalf or original Dumbledore type character a lot older than Arthur, or an old Welsh druid.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    3 ways you could go with Merlin. Someone like Nonso Anzoie (http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/29508/Nonso_Anozie_29508.jpg) who has already crossed the Atlantic starring in both TV and film in the States. Or you could go with the likes of Colin Salmon (http://img.poptower.com/pic-89188/colin-salmon.jpg?d=600) who is a very experienced British TV actor who has only really dabbled in American television. Or someone a bit more left field like Ray Fearon (http://36.media.tumblr.com/96f4f194cc7e710d4c43a8a88e842d27/tumblr_n5012yoG2V1tahs1ao3_500.jpg) who has only had limited success.

How about Paterson Joseph? He was a front-runner for Dr Who before Capaldi was chosen. To me though he will always be the Marquis of Carabas from Neverwhere ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd love to see Colin Salmon doing it and I think he's no longer a recurring guest on Arrow so it's possible he'd be available :) and his name is already known in the US because of his role in the earlier seasons of Arrow.
    I like Colin Salmon, and I could definitely see him as a druid-y type version of Merlin, but I'd quite like it if they went for someone with more raw power and a strong physical presence, someone sort of thunderous and intimidating. I'm not familiar with the other two actors dantay listed, but the first one most has the look I'm imagining.
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    How about Paterson Joseph? He was a front-runner for Dr Who before Capaldi was chosen. To me though he will always be the Marquis of Carabas from Neverwhere ...

I actually thought of Joseph too. Like Salmon he is better known here then over there but is a real talent so could easily find himself carving out a new career in the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    A black 30-40 year old Merlin? you have got to be kidding - way to go to totally ruin a myth, and I thought the BBC had already done the worst job possible. Merlin should be a Gandalf or original Dumbledore type character a lot older than Arthur, or an old Welsh druid.
    This is a show in which Red Riding Hood is the Big Bad Wolf, Peter Pan is evil (not to mention really an adult with a child of his own), Rumplestiltskin is also the Beast, Cinderella is an unwed teenage mother and Mulan is running around with Sleeping Beauty, but having a black 40 year old Merlin is totally ruining things? Seriously??
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a show in which Red Riding Hood is the Big Bad Wolf, Peter Pan is evil (not to mention really an adult with a child of his own), Rumplestiltskin is also the Beast, Cinderella is an unwed teenage mother and Mulan is running around with Sleeping Beauty, but having a black 40 year old Merlin is totally ruining things? Seriously??

Go older and get good ol' Darth Vader...

Speaking of Red, can't remember if she came back with everyone to Storybrooke. She even been mentioned? Given the fact she was deputy, worked at the diner and the diner was used a lot, and she was besties with both Emma AND Snow, and could have tracked the various missing/hiding villains/heroes with her abilities thorought the last season. It seems ridiculous to not even have a mention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    I don't really see how last series he was a regular and Robin recurring given Robin was used far more than Will.

I have loved Micheal Socha since Being Human but he was woefully underused in OUaT and I never liked Wobderland.

It's a shame but understandable since Will basically had zero to do last season.

I'm also fairly indifferent about Zelina. I didn't rate her as a series 'big bad', beyond the fact Regina's defeat of her is basically what took Regina from villain to hero. With white and not purple magic and all (though they seemingly forgot about this change as soon as it happened). So I don't really see what she can add or bring to the show.

The most annoying thing about the Michael Socha thing is it crapped all over Wonderland's ending and never offers an explanation, and now being dropped to a recurring role rather than regular, we'll probably never get a main story based explanation. Though it's possible...

...I'm guessing Cora in the episode about trying to get Regina pregnant...more to it. She wants the baby for something. I guess she'll come after Zerlina's kid, abscond to Wonderland, since that probably has something to do with it, too. Then maybe we'll get exposition on Will's plot as he acts as tour guide to Wonderland for the main cast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most annoying thing about the Michael Socha thing is it crapped all over Wonderland's ending and never offers an explanation, and now being dropped to a recurring role rather than regular, we'll probably never get a main story based explanation. Though it's possible...

...I'm guessing Cora in the episode about trying to get Regina pregnant...more to it. She wants the baby for something. I guess she'll come after Zerlina's kid, abscond to Wonderland, since that probably has something to do with it, too. Then maybe we'll get exposition on Will's plot as he acts as tour guide to Wonderland for the main cast.
    I haven't watched Wonderland but Cora is dead. Properly and completely, contacting-her-in-the-afterlife dead. I don't see how she could come after Zelina's baby.
  • Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched Wonderland but Cora is dead. Properly and completely, contacting-her-in-the-afterlife dead. I don't see how she could come after Zelina's baby.

Cora could be re-surrected courtesy of Black Swann? :D Either Black Swann or some other character like Red become the hosts for Cora's spirit... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Couldn't agree more, that was the beauty of Wonderland, it wrapped up all the characters journeys and gave them all their own believable Happy Ever Afters.
    Will turning up back in Storybrooke and without Ana and all of a sudden being with Belle was absolute crap.
  • Options
    LennieLennie Posts: 25,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to let you guys know...

Season 5 discussion and spoilers are here - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2089500
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She may not be needed for the storyline of whatever she needed the baby for, other than flashbacks, I'd assume.

BUT (and I'm not saying she is coming back alive), this is a show that's done the whole "fictional characters, writers/authors thing" etc. and the next step on those kind of "go bigger" story-telling is "where do characters go when they die?" So who really knows...? We now have enough dead characters to cover some sort of fantasy afterlife.