Options

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Comments

• Options
    soda syphonsoda syphon Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it, thought the locations and scenery were excellent. Marc Warren reminded me of The Judderman, from that fabulous advert some years ago.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it - something different from the standard Sunday night fare.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Not read the books but I thought it was excellent. The pacing, characters and dialogue are drenched in Dickens but that can never be a bad thing.

Great cast and the whole thing looks stunning.

Judging by the first episode I feel the trailers may have played a bit too much towards the 'Harry Potter’ side of things and maybe some people tuning in may be disappointed with the Bleak House -esque presentation.

But I throughly enjoyed it.
  • Options
    opal88opal88 Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Potter for grown-ups but the sets were ace.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would hazard a guess that Mr Norrell's servant will turn out to be even more of a wrong 'un than he already appears to be
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    Brillant, but as usual with many programmes, its the wrong time of year for this. These sorts of things are much better on long winter evenings when you can snuggle down with hot chocolates and watch spooky or fantasy things from ye olden days.

Absolutely correct. Very clearly a programme more suited to autumn/winter.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Do have the book on my Kindle and about to start(I was working my way through Victorian murders, Mary Ann Cotton, Amelia Dyer etc.), I hate footnotes on a Kindle!!!

When I saw Marc Warren/The Gentleman, finally clicked was it meant!!! The Ladies and the Gentlemen were fairies, not the airy Tinkerbell sort, the nasty spiteful ones.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it and thought it was a very good adaptation. The casting of the main characters was just right. Am really looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    Thought this was a decent start - to those talking about the book, have to admit that I gave up on the footnotes after the first couple of chapters and found it flowed much better without them....

When I did a second read of it though I did persevere with them.

Mr Alley saw the size of book and asked me how they are going to condense it into 7 episodes, but in some ways it's only as thick as it is because of the footnotes so I would imagine they'll manage it ok
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Made all the better by picturing the utterly bemused faces of middle-aged women tuning in hoping for more shirtless Poldarkian action.

Actually, I thought Childermass had a distinct Poldarkian thing going on. :D
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    Actually, I thought Childermass had a distinct Poldarkian thing going on. :D

I was thinking what a marvelous Heathcliffe he would make
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't read the book, but may have to, on account of not being able to make out much of what they were saying. Paul Kaye might as well have been talking in Danish.

I presume this was filmed before Mumblegate.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    Brillant, but as usual with many programmes, its the wrong time of year for this. These sorts of things are much better on long winter evenings when you can snuggle down with hot chocolates and watch spooky or fantasy things from ye olden days.
    Just as this started, I thought the same thing - still light outside, it needed to be dark....wrong day too - Saturday at 7pm, is a better time.....Thought this was going to be Dark and Magical drama - two main characters just didn't do it for me, Eddie Marsan looked depressed and as for Bertie Carvel, who is he, never seen him before....he was awful.

And Marc Warren to end the first hour.....I'm out.

Can't see more than 3 million watching this by the end of the series....it's more of a BBC2 drama.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much muttering and gabbling of lines..
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too many lines muttered or gabbled.
    Wish actors would do us the courtesy of speaking clearly. Its the least they can do.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If im honest I ploughed through the book hoping that it would get better , but gave up two thirds of the way through.I suspect I will do the same with the series but iIwill give it another go next week in the hope that the pace picks up
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Yes, this promised so much and thus far has failed to deliver. Costume drama with about as much credible magic as the average episode of Sooty. As for poor old Marc Warren, he looked like the star turn at a gay pride march, or perhaps Adam Ant through the looking glass. :D
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The book defeated me,found it tedious and dull.So I
    gave the tv version a go last night.Abandoned it after
    twenty minutes and did something more interesting
    instead.I watched some paint drying.....
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read this thread, and, sadly, I fear it has disappointed me. I expected more fireworks and pizzazz, Instead I get boring posts with no magic at all. Maybe it needs more fairies?

Luckily there is another thread with more diverse and interesting posts on the cult forum.

Edit. If you can't hear the words, use the subtitles.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    I. think the thread for this programme is in the Cult TV section

I thought judging something as "cult" happened long after its release? And often after it was a flop on release? You can't just decide something is going to be a cult, can you?
    ............... I suspect it went over most people's heads, tbh.

That makes me wonder whether there'll be an "emperor's new clothes" effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed last night's episode. Very atmospheric, nice special effects. The actors are well chosen.

As I remember the book, it was very, very slow - the episode cracked on at a fair lick by comparison.

Excellent adaptation, imo.
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Much muttering and gabbling of lines..

yep, i turned the volume up and up in a futile attempt not to require subtitles but to no avail. got to a scene where their footsteps were booming out at me but i completely missed the line of dialogue ... so at that point on went the subtitles.

and no, it's not the sound settings on my tv as i hear the (high) majority of things perfectly well. for some reason, whether movies or tv dramas, the in thing these days seems to be actors either speaking in an edgy/muffled way that you can't hear properly and/or for the sound to be set in such a way that you hear general sounds/effects as clear as day but not the dialogue!

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I thought judging something as "cult" happened long after its release? And often after it was a flop on release? You can't just decide something is going to be a cult, can you?

If you look at the title of the forum referred to (not that difficult - it's only a few forums below this one) it's actually "Cult, Sci-fi and Fantasy".

I think this programme is fantasy, don't you?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verrillion wrote: »
    Very bad timing with three other good programmes on at same time was hard to keep up with the plot in the adverts.
    That was very funny :D I hope it was intended to be - you never know with DS :D