TV Set up Help

Hi,

I have the following equipment
TV with 2 Scart Sockets (Rear), S-Video (Front) & 3 pin Phono Lead (Front).
Video with 2 Scarts
Sky Digital Boex with Scart Sockets & 2 pin Phono Lead
DVD Player with 1 Scart Socket & 3 pin Phono.

I have it set up like so.
TV Scart 1 to Sky Scart 1, TV Scart 2 to DVD Scart, Sky Scart 2 to Video Scart 1 & Sky 2 pin phono to DVD 2 pin phono (can only use 2).

I am unable to get my DVD surround system through my TV (Terrestrial/Ariel), but it works when watching a DVD. I was advised to get a Scart to Scart with Phono?, but I don't think it will work. Can someone advised me what I need

Thanks

Coullio

Comments

• steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think what you need is to have a phono lead going from the TV to the DVD (surround system) like you have done with the sky box.

You may not actually have to get a scart to phono adapter either as you may just be able to run a standard phono lead from the left and right audio sockets on the front of your tv. Of course this also depends how many audio inputs you have on your DVD (surround system) if you dont have a spare one then you wont be able to hook up your TV
  • davey_do_littledavey_do_little Posts: 5,365
    Forum Member
    The phono sockets on the front of the tv are normally inputs, not outputs. If you have no phono outs on the tv, you can get a SCART cable with phono leads looped into it, which you can connect to your amp, this may work.

d_d_l
  • CoullioCoullio Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    All I what is my surround sound to work on Sky, TV & video. I have Sky on AV1, DVD on AV2 & AV3 is the 3 phono pins at the front (used for my XBox & Camcorder). If I buy the Scart lead with the 3 phono pins would that work??
  • biddenden_suebiddenden_sue Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Hmm, connections are a permanent problem. Firstly, please check that the 3 phono pins on the back of the DVD player allow audio INPUT and not just OUTPUT. I assume this is an all-in-one DVD with surround speakers?

OK, assuming you can input from another audio source, this is what I would do in your shoes...

Buy a 3-1 scart switching box from Argos for £9.99, plus a scart-phono adaptor if necessary (around £2.99 - also from Argos)

Connect your Sky box to the VCR, and the VCR to the switching box. Connect your DVD player to the switching box. Connect your games console to the switching box. These are all scart connections. Connect the output from the switching box to the TV and take a phono output from the switching box and connect that into your DVD player's input.

Now you have all items connected to the TV, with the front phonos still spare, AND your SKY, VCR, DVD, and games console are all connected to the surround sound system.

This is basically how I have my equipment set up, except my surround sound system is independent from the DVD player. It works perfectly for me. I just never turn the sound up on the TV - it may as well not have speakers in it! And I don't even have an aeriel connected to the TV - what's that for, when you've got Sky?

Good luck!

:cool:
  • biddenden_suebiddenden_sue Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Just realised your TV has 2 scarts at the back - mine only has one. Best configuration on the scart switching box for you then is:

VCR to Scart 1
    SKY to Scart 2
    X-Box to Scart 3
    Scart out to TV 1
    Phono out to DVD input

DVD Scart to TV 2

This box allows you to switch on RGB output if an appliance uses it, and also you would be able to record from Sky while playing the X-Box on screen without pulling any cables out.

Think this is the best set-up for you at the least cost possible! Oh, and Index sell these boxes too.

:D