Options

Teen marathon & the Beckhams crying in joy

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Sounds an unusual feeling - I've definitely not had that happen to me - I don't suppose I ever will:(. I'd be interested to know what has happened to people to make them cry with joy though.

Aw man, without getting too sentimental, it's an awesome feeling when you see your youngsters achieving something by themselves without your immediate help. You feel pretty pleased with yourself when you look at them winning competitions or passing tests or taking part in performances or whatever and think "Yeah, i did that"

Hard to describe really.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cried with laughter when my son was at Primary school during his sports day race , It was of those daft races where they have to keep adding clothing, jump over tyres (he fell over all of them), climb under netting (of course he got stuck), the icing on the cake was during the final stretch of the race when he couldn't stay on the space hopper for more than a second at a time, the kid has no grace or coordination. He was grinning like a buffoon, limbs flailing, clothes flying everywhere but full of determination to get to the end. He really livened up what is usually a very dull afternoon. I was proud, even the headmaster said in his speech at the end that it had been the funniest sports day they'd ever had thanks to my son.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    19 mins for 3 miles is more than decent for anyone, let alone a 12 year old.

I would wager that the op couldn't do that.

Definitely more than decent for anyone. My current PB at that distance is 27 minutes
  • Options
    AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    Sounds as if The Beckhams're after attention and publicity again.
    When will their craving for it end?
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cried with laughter when my daughter, her first time on the stage for a school production some years ago now, stood there singing all the right words, never skipped a beat, but had spotted me in the audience and so stood there waving at me the whole way through the song :D

I cried with joy when she first took steps, with the help of a walking frame; considering that I'd been told she would never walk, it was worth a few tears.

I agree with Annette's lovely description above, very well put :)

Tears cleanse the soul, sometimes there's just so much going on inside that you have to wash it away a bit and make a little room.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    Anonimus wrote: »
    Sounds as if The Beckhams're after attention and publicity again.
    When will their craving for it end?

Because they let their son do a run? You do realise how utterly ridiculous you sound?
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    I thought it was really sweet...
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they cheer Victoria after a shopping marathon :D
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does make you wonder how a parent would react should their offspring achieve something truly extraordinary, a medical breakthrough or something.
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I wonder if they cheer Victoria after a shopping marathon :D

"Congrats Victoria, you've spent £6,000 in 19 minutes."
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never comment on the Beckham's (not a fan) but when my daughter won her first race at nursery school, I blubbed like a baby.
    So much negativity on the Beckham family though. Whatever they do, its wrong.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,023
    Forum Member
    What is pathetic is going to the trouble to start a thread criticising a family for being proud of their child.

Indeed. Pathetic and the most ignorant thread I have seen in a long time. I can't believe his public profile says he is 35 years old.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    If that's the marathon thing they attended the other day, the kids invited there were the top runners in their respective counties - many of them have trained and competed at high levels, for a few years . My son's friend was there as he is one of the top runners in the UK. It made his day seeing the Beckhams and by all accounts of people who have bumped into them IRL, they are the most lovely, decent, sound people you could ever hope to meet. If they use their fame and influence to encourage kids to be healthy and positive, that makes them ace, in my book.

Where I live they hold open trials so anyone can have a go to qualify. No one is invited.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    OP should have stuck this on Showbiz probably would have gone down 'better' on there.
    I didn't actually know what this was about, had to google it, haven't seen anything about them (the parents) crying, apparently the lad had a bit of a cry though.

Edit: been moved to showbiz, let the bile commence then :)
    I'll come back later to giggle at how irate some FM's can get about the Beckhams.
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you have any children?

I have a daughter yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    19 mins for 3 miles is more than decent for anyone, let alone a 12 year old.

I would wager that the op couldn't do that.

Running distance isn't part of my fitness regime.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    crying in joy it's crying with joy OP.

Anyway haven't seen any video of the parents crying, so I'm not sure the coup is here.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Running distance isn't part of my fitness regime.

It's part of mine and there's a lot of even the fastest runners I know wouldn't be able to do 3 miles in that time.
  • Options
    D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure the waterworks are on when the cameras are facing your direction.

Go Brand Beckham!
  • Options
    vickkijvickkij Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I think it's nice, I am sure their son appreciated the fact that they were there and proud of him rather then being completely indifferent to something he had achieved and was hopefully proud of.

Sometimes is easy to think with all their money their kids will be happy, but this type of love and support if worth more than millions.
  • Options
    knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scraping the barrel even when it comes to the recent standard of Beckham hate posts.

Their son achieved an excellent time whilst at the same time raising money for charity. No wonder they are proud.
  • Options
    PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe some people, off all the things to mutter about! I imagine that they were surrounded by other blubbing proud parents. In fact, I saw Paula Radcliffe's parents looking distinctly misty eyed as she finished, the publicity seeking so and so's, grrrrr.

I believe that Romeo has epilepsy, whilst I know that this doesn't affect his running ability, I'm sure that his brilliant time and achievement is super sweet for his family.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    D_Peugeot wrote: »

Go Brand Beckham!

:confused: All the photos i saw i could only see the back or the side of Posh & David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Peugeot wrote: »

Go Brand Beckham!

Spot on!

Everyone really seems to forget David's shady past aswell.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Spot on!

Everyone really seems to forget David's shady past aswell.

What? A footballer who slept around? Earth shattering! "Shady past" :confused: He's not Rolf Harris or something.