Options

Freeview Playback Status

jxpjxp Posts: 550
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi there I was hoping someone on here could answer some questions about Freeview Playback.

I thought there was to be a staged release of the new features. Does anyone know what's coming when. I'm sure I read BBC were now doing Series Link and Accurate recording. What else is there to come?

Will all channels be providing the required data? I'm sure BBC, ITV, C4 and five will but is there any word from Sky, The Hits UKTV History etc?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I always thought "Freeview playback" was a fancy name given to the range of personal video recorders (PVR's) on the market to make them sound good. I don't reallly know what it is, sorry. :confused::o:o :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kentynet wrote:
    I always thought "Freeview playback" was a fancy name given to the range of personal video recorders (PVR's) on the market to make them sound good. I don't reallly know what it is, sorry.

Thanks for answering even if its not much help. :)

Freeview Playback (FVPB - I just made this up to save typing it out in full) is a new specification for PVRs that defines common functions. e.g. Series Link, Accurate recording. I just wanted to know what these common functions were and what channels would be supporting them.

At the moment no PVRs support FVPB out of the box. I believe one of the Sony HDD/DVD machines has some support and the Topfield PVR has a software mod.

The BBC are the only broadcaster currently trasmitting the extra programme data. FVPB should be properly launched in the coming months (probably when there is some more hardware available).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replying. Some people on DS can be really rude you know. take a look at this person 'ere. I replied back to the bloke! Its article #24.

bye anyway

:cool: :D
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of current PVRs are expected to become FP compliant by means of a software update. The Humax 9200T is one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of current PVRs are expected to become FP compliant by means of a software update. The Humax 9200T is one.
    Thats great, I'm really looking forward to features like Series Link on my already fantastic Humax 9200T.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Pioneer range of Freeview integrated PVR's already support some of the functionality as well - or at least, it would have been a massive coincidence if my timer recording for Sunday's Top Gear on my DVR-540HX-S just happened to start right on the first frame of the opening titles... No series link feature yet in the digital EPG though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In partial answer to my own question I have now found a list of FVPB features.

- EPG instantly available
    - Record split programmes as one programme (e.g. a film with news in the middle)
    - Offer to record related programme (e.g. Dr Who Confidential)
    - Record alternate showing if there is a time conflict (e.g. record late night repeat)
    - Series Link (one timer to record whole series)
    - Schedule changes updated in standby (e.g. scheduled recording starting early)
    - Accurate recording (e.g. setting a timer for Eastenders will record Eastenders not just 20:00 - 20:30)

I also thought there was going to be a feature to schedule a recording/reminder from a trailer for a programme.

I still would like to know what is coming when and which channels will provide the required info. There seems to be two issues here; when will channels provide the required data and when will PVRs support it.

I've found PVRs must support all features by end of June to be classed as FVPB machines so it will hopefully all be sorted in 5 months (seems like ages).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I have a Sony RDRHD560 (available from Argos). This supports Series Record (I use this alot) and The recordings do seemed to be ontime, well only seems to be on BBC channels at the mo ;)
  • Options
    PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amtrakuk wrote:
    I have a Sony RDRHD560 (available from Argos). This supports Series Record (I use this alot) and The recordings do seemed to be ontime, well only seems to be on BBC channels at the mo ;)

Only the BBC is broadcasting the metadata at the moment. This will change over the coming months as ITV & C4 plan to start broadcasting the metadata shortly and the other channels are expected to follow.
  • Options
    TonyWTonyW Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    The machine's might, but I doubt it'll be effective till all broadcasters transmit the relevant data. As has been said, the BBC is the only one transmitting series link data at the mo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because the broadcasters aren't transmitting the relevant data, it doesn't mean the machines aren't compliant. All they need is the means of interpreting the data when it is broadcast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what confirmed pvr's are Freeview Playback compatable ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None as yet because the specification has yet to be decided.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought they were supposed to be released for last xmas (2006)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The final specs were released on 22nd September (of course they changed it again afterwards.. specs are never truly 'final' in the real world).

Well the toppy has a TAP that implements the series link parts - works very well too. There's the Sony RDRHD560 mentioned earlier (which *was* available before christmas, so technically the marketing was right).

Things like the Humax 9200 are apparently going to get an update to support the full spec as soon as their engineers have sorted out some of the more tricky bits (like having the EPG available 5 seconds after powerup and monitoring EPG changes in standby).

The central collator is online and all the BBC channels are transmitting series link data, related series data, etc. ITV/C4 will be feeding it series link data in the next couple of months (pvruk says 'Q1' which should mean before the end of march).