Options

NME Radio Rajar

Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
Forum Member
I think the current listening figures for NME is 235,000, but isn't it just an internet-only station now? Does this mean there are 235,000 people listening online?

When it was on DAB in London and later around the UK (and possibly on Sky and other platforms - I can't remember?) the figures were roughly at the same level, so does this mean the station has somehow grown after being taken off DAB or that it was always just an Internet station with negligable numbers listening over DAB all over the UK?

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The graphs at http://www.mediauk.com/radio/rajar/344267/nme-radio seem to show reach and share staying roughly the same, albeit very low.

It's still on Sky and Freesat as well as online.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The graph is interesting in that after NME goes on DAN London may 2009 and then national later in the year there is a surge of new listeners and hours listened, then for some reason (maybe the music chosen turning people off?) the figures drop again to a number of core listeners, which probably still listen now.
    The station is DAB in Cardiff only but there is no breakdown of the percentage of the number of listeners on DAB, Sky or online?
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    then for some reason (maybe the music chosen turning people off?) the figures drop again to a number of core listeners

I don't know if my listening habits tie into that, but I listened a fair bit when it was online only (or on the London FM community frequency stints) and then listened all the time when it finally went onto DAB. But the music did become less interesting/alternative after it went national and I stopped listening.

I can't remember how the playlist changed, but I think they ended up playing more of the standard top-40 acts you'd find on Absolute, XFM or anywhere else during the day rather than the more alternative tracks like Thou Shalt Always Kill, Always More or Cash in my Pocket, or acts like Ladyhawk. Even when they played some classic acts like The Smiths, they usualy avoided the obvious ones like How Soon and went for things like Stop Me that get much less air play elsewhere.

The last couple of times I tried the new online version of the station, things had got a lot worse with old rock songs from people like T-Rex, Oasis or Thin Lizzy. And they must be the only station who still fade out I Am the Resurrection half way through as though it's being played by Bruno Brooks during the hectic top-40 countdown on Radio 1 rather than an Internet station that has all the time in the world.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NME Radio was the only UK station I've ever heard play MC Solaar in the daytime. I don't remember if that was after the national DAB kicked in, but right up to the closure of the DAB service it didn't seem as mainstream and predictable as Xfm. Of course Xfm has had its own problems and NME's presentation style was far more enjoyable than Xfm's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member

The last couple of times I tried the new online version of the station, things had got a lot worse with old rock songs from people like T-Rex, Oasis or Thin Lizzy. And they must be the only station who still fade out I Am the Resurrection half way through as though it's being played by Bruno Brooks during the hectic top-40 countdown on Radio 1 rather than an Internet station that has all the time in the world.

When it went national on DAB I though the quality stayed high with them breaking loads of new bands Fenech-Soler, Chapel Club, Darwin Deez etc months and months before Xfm, Radio 1 etc picked up on them.

However, the station is now an abysmal listen sounding a shell of its former self. Being run by the incompetent people at Town and Country all of their shows are voice tracked from Wales with Chris Blumer (Richard Skinner in disguise?) making for a very odd listen.
    Furthermore the music sounds like a watered down Xfm -- bring on shocking Rajars for them if it means a change of management...
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solij09 wrote: »
    When it went national on DAB I though the quality stayed high with them breaking loads of new bands Fenech-Soler, Chapel Club, Darwin Deez etc months and months before Xfm, Radio 1 etc picked up on them.

6 M was playing Chapel Club/Surfacing long ago before they properly signed. I discovered them on 6, like many others, and looking forward to seeing them tomorrow night at Heaven.

Unfortunately, they also love D Deez. Don't know why I've never given NME Radio a chance. Doesn't sound like it's worth doing so now.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DX Media version of NME Radio was as close to the old Xfm format circa 97-98 as you were going to get.