USB Dongle PAYG Prices

Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
Forum Member
Looking at the first 'Pay per day' USB stick on this page, it says it costs £2 for one day or £7 for seven days.

The data allowance says it's 250MB for one day, or 500MB for 7 days. If you pay £7 for the seven day price, does this mean you get 500MB each day or just 500MB spread across the whole seven days?

If it's the later, isn't that worse value than the equivalent of 2.5 one-day allowances, which would cost £7 but give you 625MB data allowance rather than 500MB?

Surely if you buy 7 days you should get better value than buying just one.

Also, can you top-up USB dongles in newsagents and other shops with a swipe card or buy vouchers, like you can for PAYG phones? Or is all top-up online with a credit card?

Comments

• qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's 500MB spread across seven days.

The point is the longer packages give you more days for your money not more data.

2.5 one-day allowances don't give you seven days of access. Seven days of access is better value because it's seven days at £1 each, not £2 each.

It's still sorta-unlimited as well.

You can top up with swipe card, not tried a voucher myself.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    OK, I see what they're offering, but I still don't think much of it. It may work out at £1 per day instead of £2, but you get an average allowance of just 71MB rather than 250MB. That's the equivalent of a one-day deal for 29p.

But are you still allowed to buy seven consecutive one-day 250MB deals for a total of £14 rather than one seven-day deal for £7?

I spotted this particular T-Mobile dongle on the PC World website for £5, which seemed very cheap even if it's (presumably) without any top-up. So I'm thinking about it, though I wonder what speeds I'm likely to get with it? I can't find any figures, so I presume it's 2G. i also can't see how long you can leave top-up on it without losing it. My old T-Mobile PAYG phone let you do nothing with the phone for 180 days before you lost your money.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

You can also buy a 7-day deal and use it as much as you like as it's a fair use policy not a usage limit.

Certain things may not work or will work slower. You don't get blocked when you reach 500MB.