Options

Kefalonia (Greece) in May?

JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Scared i've made a big mistake!

Booked a week in Kefalonia, 2nd week in May, didn't think twice about the weather, assumed it would be mid 20's & warm enough to sunbathe.

Now that i've started having a look at boat trips etc and it appears that in May time they can be subject to cancellation due to the weather.

I'm worried i've made a mistake booking the second week of May & that it might be rainy, or not warm enough to wear swimwear? Was desperate for a bit of sun.

Anyone been to Kefalonia or anywhere in Greece during the second week in May, and if so, was the weather warm enough to sunbathe? Or am I going to have to take clothes for the day time?!

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will possibly be a bit of a mixture, I have not done Greece, only Menorca and some days it was hot other days it rained and that was also the second week of May. To be honest, Kefalonia is one of the more Northern Greek Islands so I would have thought it similar to Menorca & Southern Spain. May does tend to be like that though. I have done Rhodes in Mid October and the weather was fantastic, but it can't compare really with Kefalonia as it is further South.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been there in May and it was Hot - early twenties each day.

Enjoy your holiay, it's beautiful there :)
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Not sure if the weather is the same but I went to Corfu last April and it was only 18ish but felt much hotter. Plenty warm enough for sunbathing etc.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Kefalonia is wonderful. The weather in mid-May will be perfect. Take factor 15 sun cream and have a fabulous holiday. :)
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »

Agree with all these comments.
    Have fun out there, it is a lovely place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks do much for the reassurance :)

Never been to Greece before and I'm so looking forward to it, was desperately hoping the weather would be warm enough for swimwear.

Can't wait for the Greek food :D
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just remember "Oraya Vija" is a lovely greek phrase you should use near any lady who catches your eye ;)
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    just remember "Oraya Vija" is a lovely greek phrase you should use near any lady who catches your eye ;)

is that what they got John Corbett to say in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"?
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with all these comments.
    Have fun out there, it is a lovely place.

Actually your user-name reminds me of being out in Greece - We would put baby to bed in the cot, sit out on the balcony with a glass of wine and play tunes - 'Summer Breeze, makes me feel fine.... blowing through the jasmine in my mind.."

Aw, wish I was there now
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »

We spent a fortnight there in May too and the weather was hot enough to swim every day.

Take a trip up to Fiskardo passing Myrtos beach on the way :). Gorgeous.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,945
    Forum Member
    You may have the odd bad day but it should be ok. Where are you staying?
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went in May a few years back and had 3 days of rain during our week - one day which was pretty much wiped out, the other two were showers that went on for a couple of hours so we could work around them. There was also a fair bit of cloud throughout the week.

I do believe this was the exception rather than the rule, and you should come back a different colour to what you went out as.

Sea could be cold mind.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which resort are you staying in?

I've been Kefalonia 9 times but never that early. We went there in 2003 when there was a heatwave and it was 44 degrees in early June

Lovely island and we've been talking recently about going back next year maybe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

We are staying in Skala (Tesoro Blu)

As long as I can wear a bikini and catch a little colour, i'm happy (i'm female, despite my username!)

I love Greek food, can't wait to try a couple of tavernas.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're off a month after you, I am worried it's going to be too hot :o (we'll be going with a 19 month old)

We're also going to Skala, I've been before [in June] and it's the most beautiful of all the Greek Islands I've been to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're off a month after you, I am worried it's going to be too hot :o (we'll be going with a 19 month old)

We're also going to Skala, I've been before [in June] and it's the most beautiful of all the Greek Islands I've been to.

I know that is a worry, wonder how all those Greek babies have ever managed it. But in all seriousness, just a good sun hat, plenty of shade, plenty of sun lotion, baby will be just fine.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mine was 16 months the first time we went to Greece in June and we were fine. In fact, when she was 2 1/2 we went to Lourdas in August and had no problems at all but the pool came in very handy indeed
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    It will possibly be a bit of a mixture, I have not done Greece, only Menorca and some days it was hot other days it rained and that was also the second week of May. To be honest, Kefalonia is one of the more Northern Greek Islands so I would have thought it similar to Menorca & Southern Spain. May does tend to be like that though. I have done Rhodes in Mid October and the weather was fantastic, but it can't compare really with Kefalonia as it is further South.
    To be fair though, you can't compare what the weather might be like in Greece with what you experienced in Menorca - they are about 1000 miles apart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    To be fair though, you can't compare what the weather might be like in Greece with what you experienced in Menorca - they are about 1000 miles apart.

And yet they are very similar:-

Kefalonia May Averages:-

http://www.holiday-weather.com/kefalonia/averages/may/

Menorca May Averages:-

http://www.holiday-weather.com/menorca/averages/may/

Unlike comparing it to somewhere like Crete for example which has a higher average temperature and less rain days:-

http://www.holiday-weather.com/crete/averages/may/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

We are staying in Skala (Tesoro Blu)

As long as I can wear a bikini and catch a little colour, i'm happy (i'm female, despite my username!)

I love Greek food, can't wait to try a couple of tavernas.

My friend has stopped at that Hotel twice and loved it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Mine was 16 months the first time we went to Greece in June and we were fine. In fact, when she was 2 1/2 we went to Lourdas in August and had no problems at all but the pool came in very handy indeed

We did Majorca in August with an 18 month old and he was less bothered by the heat than the rest of us!
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kefalonia is wonderful. The weather in mid-May will be perfect. Take factor 15 sun cream and have a fabulous holiday. :)

this :)
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    Thanks do much for the reassurance :)

Never been to Greece before and I'm so looking forward to it, was desperately hoping the weather would be warm enough for swimwear.

Can't wait for the Greek food :D

Great seafood. Or just the classic Greek salad if that's all feel up for.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I know that is a worry, wonder how all those Greek babies have ever managed it. But in all seriousness, just a good sun hat, plenty of shade, plenty of sun lotion, baby will be just fine.

Maybe all the Greek babies are a bit more acclimatised to Greek weather? :)