Greatest BB:UK gameplayer ever?

2»

Comments

• Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also Brian Belo had a 24/7 live feed to contend with where his actions were under the microscope literally all day long as opposed to set clips for a highlights show.
    So that is another feather in his cap :)
  • dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makosi and Grace played the best social game.

Both very popular with the housemates even though they were manipulative and two-faced. Makosi got to the final and Grace probably would have done without BB's interference.
  • dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Both very popular with the housemates even though they were manipulative and two-faced. Makosi got to the final and Grace probably would have done without BB's interference..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JVS wrote: »
    Brian 'Who's Shakespeare' Belo, by a mile.

It goes to show that blatantly obvious OTT fakeness doesn't prevent an HM from winning - so Mark is in with a good chance.
    But I don't think he was 'blatantly fake' at all. People massively over-egg the 'Who is this Shakespeare geezer' conversation. It was obviously a gag, and he expected the public to be in on it. For 99% of the time, there is no reason to doubt that the Brian we watched was the real Brian: not an intellectual exactly, but perfectly quick-witted and articulate.
    Sunnydays wrote: »
    Brian Belo and his act of being thick................however,. I do wonder sometimes.........if Nasty Nick had been in a later series.........if his game plan would have won him through to the end......

Nick had less than no chance. The Machiavellian schemer was a late addition: at the time he seemed socially awkward and faintly ridiculous. Telling people about his dead (imaginary) wife was never going to play well, and neither was pretending to have been in the SAS when he was actually physically unfit and uncoordinated. I don't think his weak attempt to coordinate a vote made any difference to his popularity.
    Aaron. I had no idea he was 'on his game' quite so consistently until he came out and spilled the beans. And I felt a bit duped tbh. It's one thing being able to manipulate HMs to get the nominations you want but quite another manipulating the production team and viewers. If I'd known, for example, that he was deliberately overreacting in certain situations to get airtime and that he viewed his genuine relationship with Faye as an unwelcome distraction from his gameplay, I wouldn't have wanted him to win.
    I do think Aaron is streets ahead in this category, and even then, he was up against a very weak line-up. I have no idea how he would have tried to play some of the earlier housemates without coming across as a massive bitch. I don't think 'players' do well on the whole; Gina and Dexter were beaten by perhaps the weakest winner of all, simply because people prefer honesty to lying. I did find a couple of things Aaron said about Faye a bit chilling; all I can say is that the BB process is intense and stressful, and that it doesn't necessarily reflect on the way he is in real life.

Aaron is only the third housemate I can remember openly admitting to setting up dramas to put himself at the centre of attention; the other two were Luke and Bex in BB9. The difference is impressive. They came over as incredibly irritating and contrived, whereas he had the social intelligence to look natural. I am curious as to what BB expected when they selected Aaron; did they realize how poorly everyone else would fare, and recruit him as the winner from the start, or did they imagine that some of the others would be good and popular? And I will always wonder if Mark could have won if he had kept his composure.
    Ive been pondering a lot about the point at which 'gameplaying' stopped being an insult on here and became a compliment. We seem more accepting of it now, embracing it even. Except maybe when it's a HM we dislike then it's still seen as a negative. When our favourite transgresses, it's used as a 'by'.... "they're playing a game! It IS a gameshow!". When it's a villain? "Phoney, fake, game player".
    Yes, true. I always find the '"What's wrong with playing a game on a gameshow" posts a bit disingenuous; when people use 'game-player' as a negative, they don't mean 'thoughtful strategist', they mean, 'someone happy to manipulate other people in the hope of doing them harm'.
    Also Brian Belo had a 24/7 live feed to contend with where his actions were under the microscope literally all day long as opposed to set clips for a highlights show.
    So that is another feather in his cap :)

Yes, but as I said, I think that is because the Brian we saw WAS the real Brian. Housemates always say how impossible it is to keep up an act all day every day. Indeed, I think the early Gina was a good example of that. She came in all "the most spoilt girl in britain", strutting about, making demands in a haughty voice, then realized that she was in for a lonely time unless she started acting like a normal person.
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to manipulating and influencing their fellow housemates, Carole is unbeatable. If Carole wanted you out, you were out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan_ wrote: »

Both very popular with the housemates even though they were manipulative and two-faced. Makosi got to the final and Grace probably would have done without BB's interference.
    Depends what you mean by 'interference'. Any latecomers would have nominated Grace because they would have known how loathed she was outside the house, and as soon as she was up, she was out. Of possibly she would have been nicer and redeemed herself; only she didn't seem it when she came back in. And it's hard to assess her popularity with the other housemates; I don't think Richard liked her much, Nikki only bonded with her when they were up for eviction, and disliked her a lot of the time, and Aisleyne was never going to get on with her.
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    When it comes to manipulating and influencing their fellow housemates, Carole is unbeatable. If Carole wanted you out, you were out.

True, true. But that shows how hard classic BB is to play; she dominated the house, but was never in the slightest danger of winning the loot.
  • Ronell_DavisRonell_Davis Posts: 4,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victor and Makosi
  • troy4783troy4783 Posts: 3,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victor Rex Makosi
  • ZycronicZycronic Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Jason Cowen was the best. People say Victor but Jason was the master. He created situations, arguments by putting idea's into their heads. Jason would tell Victor that "if that was me, I would be right over there telling them what I think. I wouldn't stand for that". Away goes Victor to start an argument and Jason is in the background laughing. Then Jason would pat him on the back and tell him he did the junglecats proud.

He should have won, instead of coming second.
  • EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k0213818 wrote: »
    Aaron: As much as I love the guy he played bb12 to absolute perfection.

He is the only game player who actually understood the game in its entirety.
    No one else even comes close.

Also however good a gsme player is, if they didn't win they are not the greatest.
  • bajanqueenbajanqueen Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    gary1234 wrote: »
    Aaron without a doubt the greatest game player. Its a shame he has fallen out with BB because his insights on BBots would be worth listenning to

Aaron was the best for me,would love to get his insight on the game,he would be great on bots,but bb treated him badly.
  • Egg The GothEgg The Goth Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enidan wrote: »

Nasty Nick, he set the standard.
  • EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nasty Nick, he set the standard.

But he didn't win, he got kicked out quite early on.Not great game playing.
  • Egg The GothEgg The Goth Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it was when it was oh so serious, remember the national outcry, the vilification in the papers............

Imagine if they had let him get away with what would be a minor, if any, transgression as it is now.
    He would have had that house's head spinning like a scene from The Exorcist.

I stand by my vote for Nasty :)
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rex just behaved in a cruel, obnoxious fashion--not 'game playing'. No, Brian Belo and Aaron were tops....though I did wonder about Pete Bennett whose Turette's seemed to fade once he'd won--though lack of pressure might've eased it. :confused: Until Biannnnnca, Pete made the best exit EVER [real Lee Evans/Norman Wisdom stuff]!! :)
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member

Completely agree. Until someone else comes forward to reveal their multitude of tactics, he's the gameplayer par excellence.
    Also however good a gsme player is, if they didn't win they are not the greatest.

I'm not sure I agree with this. 'There's no accounting for taste' and voters bring their own baggage, backgrounds and values in to play that sometimes have little connection or too strong a bearing on a housemate. Plus Aaron was helped greatly by being incredibly attractive, bright and naturally witty, which is a bit like starting with a loaded deck for male contestants.

A better example IMO could be someone who starts out with the odds firmly against them in terms of viewer bias, and then manages to win over both HMs and public, survive multiple evictions and stay to the end (not necessarily the winner). I'm not counting anyone whose popularity was in part due to feuding with someone the public hates, e.g. Gina and Hazel, Deana and half her house, Ashleigh and Helen this year. Yes, in theory this could be a deliberate tactic worthy of 'good game' but in all these cases, those feuds were genuine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Aaron BB12.
  • jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zycronic wrote: »
    Jason Cowen was the best. People say Victor but Jason was the master. He created situations, arguments by putting idea's into their heads. Jason would tell Victor that "if that was me, I would be right over there telling them what I think. I wouldn't stand for that". Away goes Victor to start an argument and Jason is in the background laughing. Then Jason would pat him on the back and tell him he did the junglecats proud.

Yeah that's a point he did do all that. I loved the jungle cats though lol
  • jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Aaron though a master of game play.

How about Mario the health an saftey officer what a master stroke haha :p
  • Karen_AnnaninaKaren_Annanina Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Dexter Koh was the greatest game player. He kept twisting and turning and constantly changing, so you never knew who he really was, what he was really like, whether he was playing a game or not, whether he was sweet and truthful and misunderstood or sneaky and the biggest-ever liar. He kept people intrigued throughout the series, against all odds and had loads of supporters despite not seeming very likeable at face value.
  • Dave_62Dave_62 Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Dowling, brilliant player. Not bland and boring but still managed to come out on top. Then Kate Lawler as a close second.
  • GrandmotherGrandmother Posts: 2,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It depends on how you look at it. I'm guessing he's earned well over a hundred grand for his panto and telly shows since he was evicted. Certainly, he doesn't seem to have had to slave away at a regular job in the last fourteen years. Only Jade Goody had a more successful post-BB career, but it's perhaps fair to say that didn't end ideally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zycronic wrote: »

OMG nooooo! Jason is in the top three of my most disliked hms :( He was simply awful, could never understand how he managed to get so far,what did he ever do besides stand in the bathroom applying face cream for 2 hours at a time? Awful man...and his face when he was doing his weights :o:o:o:o:o