Options

Londoners .. Was your street bombed during the blitz?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I honestly almost can't comprehend that ACTUAL BOMBS were being dropped on us and we just got on with life so as to not let them 'beat us'. Could modern day people do as well in such circumstances? I wager not.

You must be quite young as you can't remember the days when the IRA was active.
    Docklands or Bishopsgate, I worked on Tower 42 after it happened had a good look at the hole where the church used to be, bent some of the cladding off the roof of the Tower the blast/debris went that far.
    People get on with life because there isn't much choice in the matter, I suspect 'letting them beat us' is secondary to self preservation.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Yep, looks like the building which I live in now was built directly on a former bomb site.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but that's all a bit flippant. Unless you're being sarcastic.

Boris Johnson isn't bombing us from the sky (although I can understand and fully agree with your grievances re endless luxury property developers - they are a total pest, ruining London) but we also had a lot of defection and agents/double agents during WW2 - from both sides.
    What they didn't have was I-pads, online DM comments and Twitter.
    Much less in the public eye perhaps, but they were there nonetheless.

You've gone and reminded me of Lord Semphill and his carrying's on now.
    Anyway Boris/Developers is nothing like what happened during the war and OT if you ask me.
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I honestly almost can't comprehend that ACTUAL BOMBS were being dropped on us and we just got on with life so as to not let them 'beat us'. Could modern day people do as well in such circumstances? I wager not.

I think the relentlessness and inevitability of it, and the fact it was happening to everyone from outside meant that psychologically, people had no choice really. I find it hard to imagine as well though, happening every night. The testimonials on that site are really interesting.

My grandma reckoned "it was a great leveller" socially as well as literally (!)You and your neighbours were just in it together, so you all shared and mucked in with each other, since you knew you could all be blown to bits or made homeless any minute.

My family were in Kent/SE London - Bomb Alley. Not as bad as central London, obviously, but all the remaining bombs would get dropped off on the planes' way back to Germany from blitzing London. I remember my gran talking about the time there was a parachute bomb in a tree, and another when they got their windows blown in, from one that went off down the road (can see it on map) - they were all in the shelter in the neighbours' garden. My dad included - he was 7 in 1945 so all his earliest memories are wartime ones really - seeing the planes coming overhead and hearing the bombs and being in shelters. I can't imagine.