Options

Game of Thrones casting

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexander Siddig as Doran... Yeah, good call!

Not the Doran I had in my head from the books (In my head he was a rougher, fatter version of javier bardem!) but as an older brother to Oberyn its a good fit!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I was at comic con, I would ask some pretty interesting questions. Mostly to do with the trivialisation and sexualisation of rape, and how they feel to be part of that.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    I wish I was at comic con, I would ask some pretty interesting questions. Mostly to do with the trivialisation and sexualisation of rape, and how they feel to be part of that.

When is rape ever not sexual?

In which case, how do you sexualise rape? It's sexual by definition. Sexual assault rather than sexual congress but it always has a sexual element. Sexualising rape. I'd like to see you desexualise rape.

Trivialising rape. I think that's down to interpretation. Maybe certain scenes in certain people's eyes but, then again, I'm sure others could draw different conclusions from the same scenes. You would need to know the show very well to be able to assess that and you should remember you are watching a fictional show set in a sort of medieval world with magic thrown in. I doubt that if the history of Genghis Khan was a show that it would all be sweetness and light. I guess GoT is in that sort of timeline so I expect it to follow that the people and societies have similar attitudes...but then I can distinguish the fictional from the real world.

More dumb, muddy morality from our favourite censor. Do keep them coming. Always good for a laugh.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's always one who has to take the bait isn't there? Oh Jimbo, didn't you know get the memo?
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I'm excited for Jonathan Pryce. I think he'll make an excellent addition.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    There's always one who has to take the bait isn't there? Oh Jimbo, didn't you know get the memo?

I like to spin the fake outrage out for a bit. Baiting the baiters. (Edit - fishing for fisherman? Sounds better.)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 6 Casting has begun (as posted in the other thread)

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-season-6-casting-has-begun-and-heres-the-list/

They're not naming characters but it's easy to work out who they are on about in most cases.

Looks like we'll be getting Euron Greyjoy, Randall Tarly and Family, possible Flashbacks to a young Ned Stark (along with probably a young Hodor).
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Priest, in his 40’s or 50’s. A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He’s salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles.

Sounds like Septon Meribald, although it’s a little surprising we’d see him next year instead of this year. If it is him, that hints at someone surviving the season.

Oh hello, that is interesting...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would the flashbacks tie in with the weirnet? Either young Brandon and Ned, or Robert and Ned?

The priest could be one of 2 people, although I think one of the has already appeared. If its the other one then I'm very excited, and hopefully we get to see the gravedigger character as well!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Would the flashbacks tie in with the weirnet? Either young Brandon and Ned, or Robert and Ned?

In the books Bran has a vision of a young Lyanna and Benjen fighting with wooden swords.

If these three boys are part of a flashback that is a variation on this (it's mentioned that they will be fighting with wooden swords) it seems likely to me that they are Brandon (12 year old), Ned (green eyed 7 year old) and Hodor (Big for his age 7 year old). I'm guessing something happens to make Hodor as he is in the present day.

Of course they may be nothing to do with a flashback, another suggestion I've seen is that the 7 year old is a recast Rickon while the Big boy is a young Umber.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm VERY pleased that Euron will be featuring!

Also, the fact that the Tarlys are confirmed must surely an that Sam takes Gilly to Horn Hill while he goes to Oldtown? So the Oldtown plot must be happening.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    If these three boys are part of a flashback that is a variation on this (it's mentioned that they will be fighting with wooden swords) it seems likely to me that they are Brandon (12 year old), Ned (green eyed 7 year old) and Hodor (Big for his age 7 year old). I'm guessing something happens to make Hodor as he is in the present day.

I think Hodor is quite a bit younger than Ned. My guess is Robert Baratheon, and Brandon & Ned Stark. Weren't they foster children together at the Eyrie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Hodor is quite a bit younger than Ned.

In the books he is and if you go by the actors actual ages then he is as well but I do think Kristian Narn looks older than he actually is so they could probably get away with it.

Weren't they foster children together at the Eyrie?

Only Ned went to the Eyrie to be fostered, Brandon went elsewhere plus I think he was older then 7 years old when he did.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Only Ned went to the Eyrie to be fostered, Brandon went elsewhere plus I think he was older then 7 years old when he did.

OK, then there could be more than one flashback involving Ned - at Winterfell with his brother, and at the Eyrie with Robert. But I'm just guessing.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading between the lines with them described as "good parts", can we deduce from it that there will be at least one less major faction involved next season? I.e. Stannis or the Boltons (or both).
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading between the lines with them described as "good parts", can we deduce from it that there will be at least one less major faction involved next season? I.e. Stannis or the Boltons (or both).
    Well the Dorne story will probably be over and the Boltons most likely dead, as well as Castle Black maybe not featuring at all, depending on what direction they decide to go with Jon Snow.

So this leaves room for new characters and setups.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I'm VERY pleased that Euron will be featuring!

Also, the fact that the Tarlys are confirmed must surely an that Sam takes Gilly to Horn Hill while he goes to Oldtown? So the Oldtown plot must be happening.

Have just read through the comments and someone mentioned Ray Stevenson for Euron. I would love that! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the Dorne story will probably be over and the Boltons most likely dead, as well as Castle Black maybe not featuring at all, depending on what direction they decide to go with Jon Snow.

So this leaves room for new characters and setups.

We don't really know if there will be any future Dorne stuff, Doran is only just revealing his hand, so their could be more to come
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More casting calls: http://watchersonthewall.com/more-casting-info-for-game-of-thrones-season-6/
    Lord of Noble Northern House sounds like they're re-casting Greatjon. Lord of Northern Stronghold, Karstark perhaps? Or Wyman Manderly? The interesting one is the Legendary Fighter - surely that description can only mean Arthur Dayne? Tower of Joy flashback?
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More casting calls: http://watchersonthewall.com/more-casting-info-for-game-of-thrones-season-6/
    Lord of Noble Northern House sounds like they're re-casting Greatjon. Lord of Northern Stronghold, Karstark perhaps? Or Wyman Manderly? The interesting one is the Legendary Fighter - surely that description can only mean Arthur Dayne? Tower of Joy flashback?
    Yes, it sounds like the "legendary fighter" could be a flashback featuring Arthur Dayne - especially the bit about having a famous sword.
    I was thinking the Lord of a Noble Northern House might be Howland Reed?

Edit - Actually I've just read it again and it says the Lord of the Noble Northern House is "a massive great bear of a man" with "a powerful physique" so I doubt it's Howland since this doesn't fit the description of the crannogmen.
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    The outlaw band sounds awfully similar to the Brotherhood Without Banners. ****ing hell, if they troll us with LSH again, people are going to start sending them boxes of shit in their fan mail.
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    The outlaw band sounds awfully similar to the Brotherhood Without Banners. ****ing hell, if they troll us with LSH again, people are going to start sending them boxes of shit in their fan mail.

sounds more like a Faith Militant splinter cell
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »

• Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Yes, it sounds like the "legendary fighter" could be a flashback featuring Arthur Dayne - especially the bit about having a famous sword.
    I was thinking the Lord of a Noble Northern House might be Howland Reed?

Edit - Actually I've just read it again and it says the Lord of the Noble Northern House is "a massive great bear of a man" with "a powerful physique" so I doubt it's Howland since this doesn't fit the description of the crannogmen.
    Brian Blessed?

I hope so, he'd be great in GoT. No need for him to send ravens, just shout his messages :D
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    The Faith Militant aren't outlaws, though. The BwB are the only outlaw group that we know of that has any association with religion. It may end up being another group entirely, but on paper to me they are the most likely.