FIFA Officials arrested in dawn raid inZurich

Comments

• TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    zebedee wrote: »
    The reason that Sepp is nowhere to be found is that he is attending a Christening today. ;-)

Isn't that a ceremony where they renounce the devil? Bet they didn't expect him to turn up in person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame we couldn't ditch FIFA and start again!
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I bet Blatter is being bugged like he has never been bugged before and they will probably nick him on friday
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squibbles wrote: »
    Shame we couldn't ditch FIFA and start again!

The top 8-10 countries in the world should just break away and form their own governing body with their own World Cup. If they had a competing tournament with Germany, Italy, France, Spain, England, Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina and the US then which do you think the sponsors and TV companies would be more interested in? FIFA would be bankrupt overnight.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just shocked that the President of the Cayman Islands FA might be corrupt. Knocked me for six that has.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The top 8-10 countries in the world should just break away and form their own governing body with their own World Cup. If they had a competing tournament with Germany, Italy, France, Spain, England, Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina and the US then which do you think the sponsors and TV companies would be more interested in? FIFA would be bankrupt overnight.

That would be a dream that unfortunately will not come true due to politics. 8 previous World Champions plus the Netherlands would be the perfect starting point. I wouldn't even expand it by too many other nations.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ringfencing international football to be the exclusive big boy's club would be worse than any brown envelope nonsense Sepp and his pals are up to. No super leagues of any kind please.
  • BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Something like this should've happened the minute FIFA handed the World Cup to Quatar, I hope this investigation is the end for FIFA. Its rotten to the core and its time to start again.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really FIFA though no matter what the press would love to happen.

CONCACAF issue. If Platini was found to be accepting bribes it would be Uefa's problem, not FIFA's.
  • MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    I bet Blatter is being bugged like he has never been bugged before and they will probably nick him on friday

Have you seen his PA ? She's a stunning looking statuesque woman . He's no fool ;)
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Ringfencing international football to be the exclusive big boy's club would be worse than any brown envelope nonsense Sepp and his pals are up to. No super leagues of any kind please.

Why? I absolutely hate the expansion of the World Cup and now Euro Cup to the "smaller nations" who for the most part play dreadful football and whose referees are a usually highly incompetent or corrupt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because football should be competition, not a travelling Harlem Globetrotter exhibition with all the big stars doing big time tricks. Imagine if the Emirates Cup or any number of those mind-numbing pre-season tournaments were the norm.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things I enjoy most about international tournaments is watching the underdogs triumph over big nations and make it to the later stages of a tournament. There are always nations and players that come out of the blue and provide interest. Cutting out everyone but the big cheese nations would mean there is less room for progression or decline in international football - it would just be quite boring.

Getting rid of FIFA isn't really the answer here, football needs a governing body. Individuals make an organisation and it's clear many of the current lot aren't up to the task. Once they're removed we can hopefully get some people in who are a little more in touch with the game and a little less likely to act as if they're in an episode of The Sopranos.
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    FIFA corrupt? I don't think there's much doubt about that but what about UEFA, is this another organisation that needs to be investigated?
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There needs to be a maximum term rule in place when Blatter finally sods off, stop this kind of rubbish happening again.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the arrests might have gone wrong the big cheese at the top is not one of those.;-)

Have heard it rumoured that the only reason that Blatter and Platini were not arrested today was that as Swiss residents they can be summoned for questioning at any time, so no need to arrest.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Not sure about that. Must be so much evidence to gather, and superb timing by the Swiss!

Obviously they had to wait till everyone was in the country.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have heard it rumoured that the only reason that Blatter and Platini were not arrested today was that as Swiss residents they can be summoned for questioning at any time, so no need to arrest.

Yes, after the separate raid on FIFA headquarters, 10 individuals, all currently listed as current Fifa executive committee members, will now be questioned by Swiss authorities over the 2018/22 World Cup bids. Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini, as Swiss residents, are not included, but will also presumably be questioned.
    They are: Issa Hayatou (president of the Confederation of African Football), Angel Maria Villar Llona (Spain), Michel D’Hooghe (Belgium), Senes Erzik (Turkey), Worawi Makudi (Thailand), Marios Lefkaritis (Cyprus), Jacques Anouma (Ivory Coast), Rafael Salguero (Guatemala), Hany Abo Rida (Egypt) and Vitaly Mutko (Russia – head of the 2018 World Cup and sports minister).

This all looks to have been well planned. Perhaps I'm being over-optimistic, but FIFA could be in for a shock.

I believe the US Attorney General is soon to address a press conference, 3.30pm our time ?
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    I am sure that FIFA will treat these ongoing investigations with the concern they feel they deserve. ;-)

Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if their first "concern" is to move their headquarters to a more "friendly" location - presumably one with no extradition treaties with the USA.

They act like a banana republic at times, so they shouldn't be short of willing hosts. :D
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    Not really FIFA though no matter what the press would love to happen.

CONCACAF issue. If Platini was found to be accepting bribes it would be Uefa's problem, not FIFA's.

That's a bit of a cop out though. FIFA is the various confederations and two FIFA vice presidents are among those arrested.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the FBI do nail everyone on all these charges, nobody should ever whine about Americans calling it soccer again.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press conference live on Sky News now. Two different investigations, but the US are cooperating "closely" with the Swiss authorities in their investigation into the 2018/2022 World Cup bids.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    That's a bit of a cop out though. FIFA is the various confederations and two FIFA vice presidents are among those arrested.

Affiliated organisations.

It would be the equivalent of the Labour party being investigated for a union leaders actions.

Not saying it is right but it will be interesting to see the legal identity of the likes of CONCACAF etc.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press conference live on Sky News now. Two different investigations, but the US are cooperating "closely" with the Swiss authorities in their investigation into the 2018/2022 World Cup bids.

The US Attorney General herself was fielding questions, showing how seriously America are taking this.

I'd say Blatter's blood must be running cold at the moment. This is getting really grim and coming perilously close to the top of the organisation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could go down as a day in football even better than when that guy scored an own goal by kicking the ball into his own face.