HBO Game Of Thrones S05 (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    The Valyrians controlled them with whips and magic horns I think. I have no idea how the Targaryens managed it since by that point I think the magic was long lost. Probably just the whips.

Thanks, just been reading about this. I think she will need a magic horn (don't laugh!) :D When dragons were around before, some were wild and some were trained and I think a horn was used in the training. It isn't emphasised on the show, but dragons were part of a world where magic existed. Dany walking into the fire when her dragons were hatched has to have been magic at work. Something must have made her walk into the flames too.
    In the books Euron Greyjoy claims he found a dragon horn and I think he is due to join the cast in the next series, so I reckon it's a case of watch this space. Also, by my reckoning, the books and series are well out of sync now, so that might be why it seems like Dany isn't up to much and her story is being dragged out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of Ramsey, the arrival of a sibling has been mentioned a few times on the show. I wonder if he ends up doing something in one of the next three episodes? A jealous rage, perhaps.

I can't see Ramsay letting any sibling ever survive, although he'll have to be a lot more subtle than he usually is! :D
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And as for Dorne - what a waste of budget. All the really interesting Dorne people have been sidelined, and for what? Another bunch of poster girls, with no redeeming features (unless you count the blokes admiring a pair of boobs) and the worst actresses since Crossroads.

Noel Gordon was a fine actress who could 'chew scenery' i'll have you know!:D

She would've made a good 'poor mans' Lady Oleanna!
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    No problem with agreeing to disagre :). I thought that scene with Brienne added to Sansa's desperate situation. She (Sansa) has someone on the outside willing to help, waiting patiently for a sign, she finally reaches the point where she needs to call upon that help, but the plot is uncovered and any hope of help is slammed shut in her face...and Brienne still patiently waits for a sign, a sign we now know isn't likely to come anytime soon.

That's exactly how I read it, too.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most interesting thing about Dorne is when Chekhov's Axe is going to be deployed, and how. Bronn might not be out of the woods yet :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most interesting thing about Dorne is when Chekhov's Axe is going to be deployed, and how. Bronn might not be out of the woods yet :(

True. Now we know the show isn't following the books in Dorne, somebody has to get his head chopped off (and other body parts!) by him wielding that weapon! Hope it's not Bronn. It's early days, so maybe we've not met the one whose head will go flying! :p
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I don't think we were. The old woman's face was revealed at the very start of the scene, even before we saw her flayed body parts - so the identity had already been revealed.
    I honestly don't think the writers wanted us to think that it was Brienne who had been killed. Evidently, some people did but I doubt that was the intention.

Sansa begs Reek to light the candle to signal her "friends" to come and rescue her...
    Reek sells her out and tells Ramsay about the plan...
    Cue shot of Brienne watching unsuspectingly for the signal, not knowing that the plan had been rumbled...
    Then a couple of scenes later Ramsay sinisterly, gleefully leads Sansa into the square for some sort of surprise...

...and you and others on here don't think there was any intent to make the viewer worry that Brienne might have walked into a trap? No intent at all? Not even for a second? :confused:

They just happened to construct that sequence of events without any intended meaning? Why include the shot of Brienne at all? Why not have a shot of the old lady wandering around Winterfell, or actually being captured, instead of the shot of Brienne, if the intent was never to instill a sense of trepidation in the viewer?

You're telling me that when they cut from Reek revealing Sansa's escape plan to Ramsay immediately to a shot of a none-the-wiser Brienne, you don't think the intent was for the viewer to put two and two together (even if the result ends up being five) and think "uh oh"?!

I give up! :cry:
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Malliday wrote: »
    You're telling me that when they cut from Reek revealing Sansa's escape plan to Ramsay immediately to a shot of a none-the-wiser Brienne, you don't think the intent was for the viewer to put two and two together (even if the result ends up being five) and think "uh oh"?!

I give up! :cry:

Not even remotely. Reek didn't light the candle, therefore, we just saw Brienne looking for a candle that wasn't going to happen. It would make no sense for her to go from there to being strung up. Even if I were to entertain the highly unlikely scenario that someone like Brienne would have been killed off screen as opposed to going out in a blaze of glory there's just no way those dots connect up.
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Not even remotely. Reek didn't light the candle, therefore, we just saw Brienne looking for a candle that wasn't going to happen. It would make no sense for her to go from there to being strung up. Even if I were to entertain the highly unlikely scenario that someone like Brienne would have been killed off screen as opposed to going out in a blaze of glory there's just no way those dots connect up.

How many times do I have to say it? I believe there was intent for the viewer to worry that Brienne might run into trouble before, BEFORE the body was revealed!

We weren't necessarily meant to think she'd be killed. We didn't know anybody had been killed until the body was revealed. Ramsay could've been leading Sansa to a captured Brienne for all we knew.

I'm not going to say anymore about this. I mentioned how I interpreted that sequence of scenes much earlier in the thread and people keep quoting it and disagreeing even though I've explained myself about five times now.

I don't know how anybody can come to the conclusion that there was no intent, zero, from the producers to plant a seed of trepidation into the viewers' minds through that sequence of scenes. You didn't have to think she was going to get killed, but if you didn't feel a sense of "uh oh" when it cut to Brienne then I don't really know what to say. :confused:
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    I agree with Thrombin to be honest. The shot of Brienne was there to illustrate that she was the one waiting on the candle and that she was still waiting and waiting even after the audience had hoped Theon would help Sansa and light it. I don't think it was to make us worry for her.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many times do I have to say it? I believe there was intent for the viewer to worry that Brienne might run into trouble before, BEFORE the body was revealed!

We weren't necessarily meant to think she'd be killed. We didn't know anybody had been killed until the body was revealed. Ramsay could've been leading Sansa to a captured Brienne for all we knew.

I'm not going to say anymore about this. I mentioned how I interpreted that sequence of scenes much earlier in the thread and people keep quoting it and disagreeing even though I've explained myself about five times now.

I don't know how anybody can come to the conclusion that there was no intent, zero, from the producers to plant a seed of trepidation into the viewers' minds through that sequence of scenes. You didn't have to think she was going to get killed, but if you didn't feel a sense of "uh oh" when it cut to Brienne then I don't really know what to say. :confused:

Sorry, dude. I felt in no way at all it was ever going to be Brienne. We saw the woman's face before the flayed body. I took the Brienne scene to imply she was "waiting for something not happening" rather than what you imply.
  • diamonddogsdiamonddogs Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, it didn't cross my mind either, but no need to get your knickers in a twist because half of us had a different take on it.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It didn't occur to me either. In fact, it didn't occur to me that Brienne might be looking for the candle at all until you pointed it out. I was thinking about the old woman and some random northerners.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that clearly wasn't the case. they just showed how brienne is patiently waiting for her signal, that's all that was.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Me neither, I just thought it was the old woman. It better not be Brienne:cry:

I didn't see it either for one the straggly, long grey hair gave it away as being the old women
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does Brienne even know about the candle? I personally think the candle was probably lit by Ramsay which led the old woman to be caught. How else would he know it was her? I don't recall Sansa mentioning her to Theon.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does Brienne even know about the candle? I personally think the candle was probably lit by Ramsay which led the old woman to be caught. How else would he know it was her? I don't recall Sansa mentioning her to Theon.

The old guy Brienne talked to a couple of weeks ago must have been in colusion with the old woman. That's most likley how Brienne was made aware of the candle plan. If Sansa's been locked in her room for days, and her only human contact limited to the old woman, Ramsay and Reek, then by process of elimination the old woman would be the prime suspect.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    I actually thought he might murder Walda

Walda? As in Walder Frey? Don't think the guy has been in it since the Red Wedding. Certainly never met Ramsay Bolton.

Do you mean you thought he might murder Roose (his father)?
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walda is Roose's pregnant wife.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the show ends at season 7, then there are only 23 episodes left. This is why the writers have to start moving on and changing events. They have to start moving towards the end of the story now and I think these are the first steps towards that.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    I agree with Thrombin to be honest. The shot of Brienne was there to illustrate that she was the one waiting on the candle and that she was still waiting and waiting even after the audience had hoped Theon would help Sansa and light it. I don't think it was to make us worry for her.

Ditto. I thought the shot of Brienne was there to add to the hope that Sansa might get out of this. That the signal might about to be given and Brienne was ready and waiting for it. Makes Theon's betrayal all the worse.
  • dottzie38dottzie38 Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »

Walder Freys daughter :D or granddaughter whatever roose chose her because Walder said he would give him his brides weight in gold as a dowry I believe
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    The old guy Brienne talked to a couple of weeks ago must have been in colusion with the old woman. That's most likley how Brienne was made aware of the candle plan. If Sansa's been locked in her room for days, and her only human contact limited to the old woman, Ramsay and Reek, then by process of elimination the old woman would be the prime suspect.
    I may have missed a line or two in previous episodes, but I've always assumed the candle plan was Brienne's all along and she passed it onto Sansa by way of: old man -> old woman -> Sansa, as opposed to the other way round. Brienne knows that she can see that window from her lodging, whereas Sansa had no way of knowing what Brienne can see to suggest using the tower, so it just needed a one way flow of messages to arrange the plan.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »

Ah - thank you. That explains the different spelling also. Cheers.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I may have missed a line or two in previous episodes, but I've always assumed the candle plan was Brienne's all along and she passed it onto Sansa by way of: old man -> old woman -> Sansa, as opposed to the other way round. Brienne knows that she can see that window from her lodging, whereas Sansa had no way of knowing what Brienne can see to suggest using the tower, so it just needed a one way flow of messages to arrange the plan.
    You're most likley right about who came up with the candle plan and the direction in which the communication flowed. Either way we know there is (was) a line of communiaction, so hopefully that satisfies Dan Fortesque's earlier question.