Game of Thrones casting

VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
According to today's Sunday Mirror Sean Bean has signed to play Lord Eddard 'Ned' Stark in the tv version of George RR Martin's fantasy saga. In the same report it mentions that King Robert Baratheon is being played by Mark 'The Full Monty' Addy.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    really??? are they actually making it??? *excitement*
  • arteroartero Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Addy as Robert.....? Can't see it myself.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Apologies if this has been mentioned before

Thread started here but as the OP got the show title wrong in the thread title it's probably best to stick to this one.
    really??? are they actually making it??? *excitement*

Only a pilot so far, filming of which begins in October in Northern Ireland.

If given the go ahead there will be (I think) a 13 part season based on the first book in the series.

Other cast members announced.

Harry Lloyd - Viserys Targaryen (though IMDB has him down as Joffrey).
    Kit Harington - Jon Snow
    Jack Gleeson - Joffrey Baratheon

and from a while back Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this. Obviously loads will have to be left out or especially some of the familes/clans as it would just get out of control!!

Should be good. Might have to read the first three books again to remind myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed those books, certainly could be good. Not sure how easy it will be to adapt though- there's so much going on at once.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bet they leave out the incest between Cersei and Jaime.

This may be a useful site:

http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/

How about Rob Brydon as Dolorous Edd??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet they leave out the incest between Cersei and Jaime.

The Pilot scripts online if you want to check :D

Not read it all myself but the last line is
    "The things I do for love."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    The Pilot scripts online if you want to check :D

Not read it all myself but the last line is
    "The things I do for love."

Do you have a link for that??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of Cersei, wonder who will they cast to play her?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a link for that??

PDF Download

Went to see if it was still around and ended up reading it all.

From memory most of it's from the book with a couple(maybe more) new scenes.

Without checking it against the book I'm not sure what (if anything) has been missed out.
  • Blackhorse47Blackhorse47 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artero wrote: »
    Mark Addy as Robert.....? Can't see it myself.

That surprised me as the character is so clearly Brian Blessed he might as well go round shouting 'Eddard's alive' and 'I'm Brian Blessed'.

I have mixed feelings on lots of counts. I tend to avoid watching filmed versions of books I like, and with fantasy it's doubly bad as seeing it on screen just makes me realize I read a lot of tosh. But if any fantasy could translate well to the screen it ought to be this one. On the other hand as anyone who made the mistake of reading the first book when it came out knows, Martin wins no awards for speed writing and at the current rate of production he's set to complete the final book around 2025... if we're lucky. That's sure to lead to problems later on.

The other thing that might feel odd is many of the key characters are very young, and this is no Harry Potter tale. I assume they're getting round that by forgetting that some are under ten and casting a lot older.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That surprised me as the character is so clearly Brian Blessed he might as well go round shouting 'Eddard's alive' and 'I'm Brian Blessed'.

I take your point but age-wise BB is too old to play King Bob

Another couple of casting suggestions

Mark Strong as Stannis Baratheon

David Ogden Steirs as Thoros of Myr
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King Robert is supposed to be a big powerful bloke in his late 30s (not sure about the age) so Mark Addy doesn't really fit that description.

As Blackhorse 247 writes, are they going to change the ages of the characters? (particularly the Stark/Lannister children). Think I saw something about Gillian Anderson as Catelyn, she's about 10 years older than Catelyn's book age (32?). Ned Stark's of an age with Robert in the book, and Mr Bean's about 50 now and looks it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    artero wrote: »
    King Robert is supposed to be a big powerful bloke in his late 30s (not sure about the age) so Mark Addy doesn't really fit that description.

As Blackhorse 247 writes, are they going to change the ages of the characters? (particularly the Stark/Lannister children). Think I saw something about Gillian Anderson as Catelyn, she's about 10 years older than Catelyn's book age (32?). Ned Stark's of an age with Robert in the book, and Mr Bean's about 50 now and looks it.

It's been a while since I read the first book but wasn't King Bob described as going to seed a bit??

Mark Addy is 45

Maybe they are just adding 10 years or so to everyone's age??

Steve Buscemi as Roose Bolton ?
    Kevin Spacey as Littlefinger ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe they are just adding 10 years or so to everyone's age??

They are aging some of the characters, Jon and Robb are down as 17 in the script rather than the 14 they are in the book, Daenerys gains 2 years making her 15.

Bran on the other hand is only aged a year (to 8) and Rickon and Theon are given as the same age they are in the book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are aging some of the characters, Jon and Robb are down as 17 in the script rather than the 14 they are in the book, Daenerys gains 2 years making her 15.

Bran on the other hand is only aged a year (to 8) and Rickon and Theon are given as the same age they are in the book.

I would imagine they are doing that cos of the child labour laws restricting how much actors under a certain age can work over a certain period
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer Ehle has been cast as Catelyn Stark.

Sounds like there will be more casting news in the next few days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Casting has been announced for Robb, Sansa and Arya Stark as well as Theon Greyjoy, Dany as well as Sir Jorah thingy and Jaime Lannister. Details are on that site I mentioned earlier
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Latest bit of casting is Lena Headey as Cersei.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably dyeing her hair Lannister blonde? Or just ignore that element of the story?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either Dye or a wig.

None of the actors cast as Lannisters so far are naturally blond (unless Joffreys actor is, not sure on him) so all will have to be turned blonde (as it is a pretty important plot point) one way or another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Stargate Atlantis' Jason Momoa has been cast as Drogo (the last main part in the pilot to be cast). He announced it himself at a convention in Australia.

Some locations (inc a set from Kingdom of Heaven) being used in the pilot can be seen in this Blog by the shows VFX Producer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Full Cast list (and pics) for the Pilot here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Stargate Atlantis' Jason Momoa has been cast as Drogo (the last main part in the pilot to be cast). He announced it himself at a convention in Australia.

Some locations (inc a set from Kingdom of Heaven) being used in the pilot can be seen in this Blog by the shows VFX Producer.

It's been a while since I've read the books so am I right in thinking that Drogo was Danerys' husband??