QI on consecutively on BBC One HD and BBC HD

jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Eh, what kind of mad scheduling is this:confused::rolleyes:?

BBC One HD 20:30-21:00 QI 8/16. Hypothetical

BBC HD 21:00 - 21:30 QI 8/16. Hypothetical

Comments

• tallguy9tallguy9 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a good idea, can choose to watch it and still not miss Gardeners World or New Tricks (whichever I choose). Clever!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was just about to post the same thing. When I saw the listing I assumed it would be a repeat of QI on BBC HD.

It just seem a waste of schedule time on HD when it has just been shown on One HD. I mean, if they want to repeat it in a couple of days or late night then that's different.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One HD + ½ ?
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i couldn't watch it earlier so it's served it's purpose for me :D
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Well i couldn't watch it earlier so it's served it's purpose for me :D
    Isn't that the purpose of your SkyHD box? :confused:
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Thanks you've just reminded me that the brilliant 'Rev' is being repeated on BBC HD tonight and to set my series record link.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It just seem a waste of schedule time on HD when it has just been shown on One HD. I mean, if they want to repeat it in a couple of days or late night then that's different.
    Indeed, usually you remember you've missed something a while after so it's no good if the repeat has followed straight after the original. I see they're doing it next week too. You'd also think "David Attenborough's First Life" would be in HD on BBC TWO, seems a waste.
    Forum Member
    Yes, there's be some disappointment and annoyance at that in some of the threads about the series.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a sensible reason for doing it......

A number of people won't yet have swapped their series links from BBC HD to BBC HD One - perhaps this scheduling have been put in place to ensure that these viewers don't miss out.

Other programmes that have been shown on BBC One HD this week have also been repeated on BBC HD later the same evening (The Apprentice being a notable example)

Simple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Indeed, usually you remember you've missed something a while after so it's no good if the repeat has followed straight after the original. I see they're doing it next week too. You'd also think "David Attenborough's First Life" would be in HD on BBC TWO, seems a waste.
    So "David Attenborough's First Life" is now being shown on BBC HD one week after the transmission on BBC Two that was knocked off due to QI being on one hour after it was on BBC One- surely the whole point of having BBC One HD is to avoid these kind of huge delays between the SD And HD versions? Another stupidity is the cut off point of 4PM for BBC HD, meaning Flog It! cannot be simulcasted, why on earth have such an arbitrary rule?
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a sensible reason for doing it......

A number of people won't yet have swapped their series links from BBC HD to BBC HD One - perhaps this scheduling have been put in place to ensure that these viewers don't miss out.

So a Sky+ can't search out extra showings of the same programme on different channels within the same week? Schoolboy error for Murdoch, there.
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess? BBC1 HD didn't have a definitive launch date until not long before it was actually launched. It was always on a "it'll be launched when it's ready, and we're working our arses off to get it ready". So the BBC HD schedule was arranged and booked for things like that long before anyone knew what date BBC1 HD would be launched, and it was preferable to leave things like QI that already had a regular slot where they were. And it's not like there's an abundance of other programming to take its place (yet).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    My guess? BBC1 HD didn't have a definitive launch date until not long before it was actually launched. It was always on a "it'll be launched when it's ready, and we're working our arses off to get it ready". So the BBC HD schedule was arranged and booked for things like that long before anyone knew what date BBC1 HD would be launched...
    Possibly, I note I stated that they were doing the same on BBC HD with QI (this week) last week, but I don't think it can have been, as David Attenborough was on from 8-10PM so it looks like this thread might have made them change after all:). QI is repeated on BBC HD early tomorrow morning 01:00-01:30.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Isn't that the purpose of your SkyHD box? :confused:

That relies on me actually setting it to record in the first place :D

I only set things to record that i expect i wont be able to watch 'live'.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    I only set things to record that i expect i wont be able to watch 'live'.

We have everything we watch (apart from news) set on series links.
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    So a Sky+ can't search out extra showings of the same programme on different channels within the same week? Schoolboy error for Murdoch, there.

The problem with having that ability means if you Series link (for example) CSI on Channel 5, you will then get recordings from all the other channels showing all the different seasons of Supernatural.
    Add into that the +1 channels and your box will fill up pretty darn fast!
  • Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, the launch of BBC One HD has freed up some scheduling for BBC HD to show other simulcast programming from the other three channels and programmes from the increasing archive, especially during peak time.

But, as is shown with later repeat showings of Doctors, BBC HD is still going to have BBC One HD shows dotted around its schedules, at best delayed or at worse shown on another day/evening, but no longer simulcasted.