Options

Recommend me a really good Horror/Thriller please

jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
Forum Member
✭✭
Blood & guts, monsters, vampires and the like do not move me at all.

I want a book that'll get under my skin, that'll make me afraid to turn out the light for fear of what I will imagine...something that will stay with me after I've turned the last page...

I've read all the usual ones, The Exorcist, Amityville, lots of James Herbert, Stephen King & Dean Koontz etc

What else can I read? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check out Graham Masterton or Robert R McCammon(Amazon best place or ebay) of the former I recommend The Pariah or Family Portrait ,latter Wolfs Hour,Mystery Walk or Stinger.
    Manhattan Ghost Story is a another good one,cant recall author.A floow up was equally worth reading.
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. It's a short novel, but the last couple of chapters left me breathless.
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. It's a short novel, but the last couple of chapters left me breathless.
    I can only agree. I've recommended it myself before and will no doubt do so again. It is genuinely scary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all - have ordered The Woman in Black and will take a trip to the library tomorrow to see if I can find some of the rest!

Thanks x
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly 'horror' but the creepy protagonist in this is quite horrific. I love Nikki French's 'Secret Smile'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    House of leaves -Mark Z. Danielewski

Terrifying and brilliant. It kept me awake for weeks.. not just the horror but just thinking about the actual story.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The Alienist" and "The Angel of Darkness" by Caleb Carr. Once you meet Libby Hatch you may never sleep again.

Another vote for "The Pariah" by Graham Masterton. Also "Tengu" by the same author.

"I Was Dora Suarez", "The Devil's Home on Leave" and "Dead Man Upright" by Derek Raymond.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Collector by John Fowles .

that really stayed with me , it's so realistic and believable , really quite disturbing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hungry Moon by Ramsey Campbell.

Well, anything by him actually.
  • Options
    NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purpleplum wrote: »
    House of leaves -Mark Z. Danielewski

Terrifying and brilliant. It kept me awake for weeks.. not just the horror but just thinking about the actual story.

I totally agree. A stunning book, but many find it difficult to read due to the style. I'm kind of obsessed with it myself and own 4 copies... Roll on his new book, "The Familiar".
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything I recommend will be hard to find, but should be copies at Amazon

The Santaroga Barrier, by Frank Herbert.

Messiah, by Gore VIdal.

The Mind Game, by Norman Spinrad

(Also Bug Jack Barron, Spinrad).

Oh yeah, The Collector - above - is good, but a longer work by Fowles is The Magus.

Camp Concentration and Priest, by Tom DIsch
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sketcher wrote: »
    The Hungry Moon by Ramsey Campbell.

Well, anything by him actually.

I love Ramsey Campbell- funnily enough The Hungry Moon was the first novel of his I read. It's definitely one of his best. More recently, I thought The Grin Of The Dark was superb, but yeah, pretty much anything by him is great.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    jessmum wrote: »

I want a book that'll get under my skin, that'll make me afraid to turn out the light for fear of what I will imagine...something that will stay with me after I've turned the last page...

I've read all the usual ones, The Exorcist, Amityville, lots of James Herbert, Stephen King & Dean Koontz etc

That's easy: Stephen King's It - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-King/dp/0340951451/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290356283&sr=1-1. It's an excellent horror read and, trust me on this one, it will put you off clowns for life!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Nasalhair wrote: »
    I totally agree. A stunning book, but many find it difficult to read due to the style. I'm kind of obsessed with it myself and own 4 copies... Roll on his new book, "The Familiar".

Another vote for House of Leaves. I am reading it for the first time at the moment and although it is by no means a straight-forward read I just can't leave it alone. I keep telling myself I won't read it before bed anymore as I just end up lying awake thinking about it... but i can't help myself.
    Worth the effort for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemmaboo wrote: »
    Another vote for House of Leaves. I am reading it for the first time at the moment and although it is by no means a straight-forward read I just can't leave it alone. I keep telling myself I won't read it before bed anymore as I just end up lying awake thinking about it... but i can't help myself.
    Worth the effort for sure.

Wait til you read it the second or the third time - that's when you start to spot things you missed previously. It took him ten years to write and you can tell. I've never read anything so multi-layered and truly terrifying in my life.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nasalhair wrote: »
    Wait til you read it the second or the third time - that's when you start to spot things you missed previously. It took him ten years to write and you can tell. I've never read anything so multi-layered and truly terrifying in my life.

I've only read it the once, but I keep meaning to go back to it. Never got round to reading Only Revolutions, though I do have a copy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I've only read it the once, but I keep meaning to go back to it. Never got round to reading Only Revolutions, though I do have a copy.

Now that one is really hard work. Start at one end, read eight pages, turn it over, read eight pages, turn it over... It's brilliantly done though, with exactly 90 words per "chunk" of text, and all written in prose. If you shop around you can find a hardback copy with lots of colour text too (a bit like some of my copies of HoL).

Apparently his next book, "The Familiar", has 27 volumes...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I read 'The Woman in Black' - good read but not really frightening to be honest...have read Stephen King's 'IT' yes, i enjoyed that - I'll look for a few of the others that have been recommended - Thanks x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let The Right One In or Habour by John Avijde Lindqvist
  • Options
    JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    jessmum wrote: »

you dont say whether you liked the Exorcist (I loved it)

if so

The Satanist by Dennis Wheatley

freaked me out