Lidl - Good and bad

Comments

• Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    See, I don't want my deodorant scented - it clashes with the scent I've chosen to wear.

Have you tried using hand sanitiser? They leave something behind once the alcohol dries off, so maybe that will work as a deodorant. Some use anti-bacterial chemicals that remain behind instead of alcohol, but I don't know how long they stay for or if they'd be any better.

I did it a few years ago when I ran out of deodorant but I can't remember if it worked.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There really is no need to use deodorant if you wash under arm regularly - morning - mid day and evening.
    Not bought it for years and I do not smell - always used to ask my OH if I was OK but now do this regular wash.
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    See, I don't want my deodorant scented - it clashes with the scent I've chosen to wear.

I do wish there were more unscented deodorants on sale. Very few brands offer them, and some that used to (eg Arrid) no longer do.

I have used Amplex Active for years, virtually no smell to it, no staining of clothes and it is the only one I have ever used that doesn't irritate my skin. Tesco used to see it but I can only get it online now.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got some headphones for the kid for Christmas for £6.99 and they're really good quality, sound-wise. It's not as if we could ever afford something like Dr. Dre's anyway. :D I also picked up a folding keyboard stand for £13.99, cracking deal.
    Forum Member
    I tried their own-brand version of Covent Garden soups, and they're just as good. I find both taste a bit watery for me, but comparing Lidl's to Covent Garden's, I have to say Lidl's is well worth it for just 89p per carton, especially when CG isn't on special offer and other supermarkets are charging £2 for them. They have a limited range, but that's what you expect in Lidl.

I also tried their 'Delux' fillet steaks, which were delicious and very soft, even for elderly relatives who think they can't chew steak anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I tried their own-brand version of Covent Garden soups, and they're just as good. I find both taste a bit watery for me, but comparing Lidl's to Covent Garden's, I have to say Lidl's is well worth it for just 89p per carton, especially when CG isn't on special offer and other supermarkets are charging £2 for them. They have a limited range, but that's what you expect in Lidl.

Totally agree with this. Lidl tomato and basil soup is absolutely delicious and leagues ahead of Asda's chosen by you range which comes in a plastic pot rather than a paper carton. The Lidl one is like a deluxe/high end soup in comparison.

Incidentally, I doubt the Asda 'chosen by you' was chosen by anyone other than themselves seeing as their entire own brand range is supposedly chosen by you and most of it is poor.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Was in today and had a look in the freezer and they have ostritch steaks, kangaroo steaks moose steaks and some kind of wild boar stew (or marinated chunks of meat)
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent telescopic garden loppers this week, only £7.99. Unbelievably good quality for the money. I used them to prune our apple tree today, nice and sharp and the extended handles stay extended, which is often a failing with these things. A little bit heavy, but I don't need to use them for very long at a time, so not a problem and they certainly aren't flimsy.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    LIDL used to sell standard chocolate milk. Same thinness as semi skimmed but chocolaty. Came in a clear plastic bottle.

Got some yesterday and it was in a cardboard carton and it was thicker, not as much as Frijj but similar. It had a strange taste and really odd aftertaste.

I didn't like it at all.
  • MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought Lidl's current waffle maker. They stock different Silvercrest models frequently. This one is pastel two tone with removable plates. (£14.99). Justified another gadget because of regular free supply of eggs to use up! Made lovely coconut waffles today. I'm now researching savoury options.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Was in today and had a look in the freezer and they have ostritch steaks, kangaroo steaks moose steaks and some kind of wild boar stew (or marinated chunks of meat)
    Yes they have all that in my local one as well, most people are not interested in it.

I now can't get the fishcakes or the small pesto pizzas I used to buy, or the potatoes croquettes.

I want cheap staples foods not kangaroo and zebra.

I mostly go in for the non food specials, work wear, toys, electronics.
    Forum Member
    I had a strange urge for pork pies yesterday. I bought a packet of four from Lidl and another from Morrisons. The Lidl ones taste nicer, both the meat and the pastry.

I also bought a jar of Lidl sweet pickle, which was OK for the price but rather tangy. Mind you, I haven't tasted Branston in years so I can't compare it to how it may taste now.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,642
    Forum Member
    Just been into my local Lidl for a few things - bottle of coke, chorizo, butter, a tin of kidney beans and some eggs - things they usually stock.

They didn't have any of them.

Its getting worse every time I go
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest problem I find lidls is they don't keep their shelves fully stocked.
    At my local store they have run out of Montpulciano red wine and it's been like that for a week.
    The main supermarkets usually re-stock within 24 hrs but not lidls. The wine is there cheapest at £3.79 so there should be a price promise so I can purchase next cheapest wine for the same price but no.
    Also some special items once they're sold out that's it you may have to wait 6 months or more.
    Forum Member
    Also some special items once they're sold out that's it you may have to wait 6 months or more.

What would be special about a special item that was on the shelves permanently?

The key factor in the model of Aldi and Lidl (and formerly Netto) is that you get special items twice a week, and you grab them while you can.

It gives the consumer bargains and keeps bringing people back to the retailer - as well as causing spontaneous purchases that wouldn't otherwise be made.

Whenever Aldi do their egg pasta, I stock up on it and that sees me through to the next time they do it.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    There really is no need to use deodorant if you wash under arm regularly - morning - mid day and evening.
    Not bought it for years and I do not smell - always used to ask my OH if I was OK but now do this regular wash.
    I hate to break the news to you, but people who make such claims nearly always whiff. Perhaps your OH isn't brave enough to disturb the peace. ;-)
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I hate to break the news to you, but people who make such claims nearly always whiff. Perhaps your OH isn't brave enough to disturb the peace. ;-)

Agreed.

Smokers smell too, but they small awful. :eek:
    Forum Member
    I tried their 'Freshona' sweetcorn that comes in three small tins for £1.20 or something like that. Horrible. Tastless, watery and even the texture wasn't that nice. I'm sticking with Aldi's.

I also tried their 'KingFrais' chilled bramley apple pie in a green cardboard box, and it's lovely for the price. A much nicer one is Sainsbury's premium one for £3.70, but Lidl's is less than half the price and still very nice, with pleasant crunchy apple bits inside rather than the overly sweet sludge that most supermarket apple pies contain.

And their Jersey Royals are very lovely at the moment, and are the cheapest.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Rubbish - he honestly would be the first to say anything, believe me. He hates whiffy people and always comments on it. Plus I shower twice a day and do not smoke :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once had a girlfriend who insisted that deodorants were unnecessary and it took several weeks of hints to get the message through. Unless you change a shirt or top twice a day the odour soon begins to ferment in the material. I've worked with people who have stunk the office out, yet seemed completely oblivious to their own smell.
    Forum Member
    As Moxey from Auf Weidersen Pet said, "It's funny how you smell your own shit at first, then you stop smelling it. But then if you go back in again, it stinks."

Very profound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    With so many products in Lidl being very hit and miss, I thought it might be an idea for people to pool their experiences of what's good and bad in Lidl so that people can work out what to buy and avoid with less trial and error! Here are a few of my opinions:

GOOD
    Premium coleslaw
    Premium chocolate in the cardboard wrapper
    Dark rum - Good for the price
    W5 washing up liquid
    Black grape juice
    Bananas
    Peppers
    Premium sliced, cured ham (not made from reformed meat)
    Free range eggs
    Hair gel
    Premium frozen salmon (the box with 2 slices for £3)
    Dried herbs
    Fresh herbs
    Kale
    Mushrooms
    Baby plum tomatoes
    Egg pasta/lasagne/spaghetti
    Onions
    Premium ice cream
    Beef burgers (the box with four large ones rather than 8 small ones)
    Large frozen fries
    Yoghurt

BAD
    Gin - tastes like a marker pen
    Bread - Tastes like sawdust
    Potatoes - Too many black spots inside them and somttimes have a funny taste.
    Frozen pizzas - Cardboardy
    Wine - Some are OK but many taste sour
    Frozen Pollock - Dry, rubbery and virtually flavourless.
    Tomato sauce - Too tangy and artificial
    Sausage rolls - Pastry like cardboard and meat like it was 90% fat and gristle
    Salad - Just tastes funny. Much prefer bags from Asda, Morrisons, etc.

Their muffins used to be lovely, but they changed suppliers a couple of times in the last year and now they're very bland. Their shower gel is weak compared to leading brands, but is a third of the price. I tend to buy a better brand rather than just use more of the cheap stuff. Celery is also very average in taste and crispness. And their white rum is a cheap copy of Bacardi. Not bad for the price, but not as nice as their dark rum.

GOOD

yoghurt
    cheese
    ham
    iceberg lettuce

BAD

everything else
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually prefer some of lidls food to aldi.

Good

Fresh Salmon/kippers/smoked haddock
    honey roast ham
    ff natural yogurt is the best of any supermarket (imo)
    crayfish
    crabsticks best own brand i've tried
    frozen scampi
    frozen strawberries
    fresh curries very nice and exceptional value
    love their fresh bread/rolls/cakes/etc
    dried pasta/noodles
    tinned toms/tom puree
    dried rice
    4x carlsberg are only £2.99
    loose and packed nuts
    cream cheese and chive crisps

Not really had anything bad from lidls. Fruit and veg us usually good value but like anywhere can be hit and miss.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I've just discovered their Sea Salt Crackers for cheese as they were out of stock on the Water Biscuits. They are absolutely delicious -too much so in fact, I have to keep myself away from them and limit myself to a couple a day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only think of one product sold by Lidl which isn't greatly inferior to its equivalent in Aldi – their luxury muesli. That's usually all I go in their for. Their wine selection is particularly poor and they still use those horrible plastic 'corks'.