Slow Cooker

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just bought a slow cooker and I need some inspiration and recipe ideas. I've never really cooked slowly on the hob or in the oven, so I'm a complete novice.

Any recipes welcome, no matter how basic or fancy they are, thank you :D

Comments

• Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do a chinese chicken in mine. I brown off some chicken fillets and chop them up and add a little chinese five spice to them rubbing it all over then i throw them in the slow cooker with some chow mien sauce or a sweet chilli and ginger one add some sweetcorn and mushrooms and leave to cook all day on low.

I also brown off some pork and add some pear cider, apple juice few chunks of apple, mushrooms and peas and some creme freche or cream thats lovely after a few hours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sound lovely, thank you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sound lovely, thank you!

The pork is my fav on a rainy sunday :)
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slow cookers are great, you can put in a leg of lamb & cook it for about 8 hours, take it out & every bit of meat just slides off the bone. :)

I am making a Chilli hash at the moment

800g minced beef
    2 tins baked beans
    2 packets of chilli powder
    2 finely chopped Scotch Bonnets
    300 grams mushrooms
    Potatoes
    1 onion
    1 and a half can of water.

Method :

Brown off mince & onion to seal, then drain excessive fat. transfer to slow cooker / crock pot.

Add mushrooms, scotch bonnet's, baked beans & water.

Place lid & cook on high until boiling

Add & stir in chilli powder

Place lid & put onto simmer for about 7 hours.

Transfer to oven proof dish & spread over mashed potato, bake until potato has browned off.

Serve with a jug of iced water or beer, as it will blow your head off. :D:D:D
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    I love my slow cooker, especially in winter!

Some of my regular recipes are:

Chicken casserole - chop up potatoes, carrots, and turnips, in roughly the same size chunks. Put in the bottom of the slow cooker, with mushrooms and peeled baby onions. Brown the skins on 4 chicken thighs. Add to the pot. Pour on a pint of stock and a few drops of soy sauce. Cook on low all day. I serve it with Yorkshire puddings.

Sausages - brown the sausages, put in the pot with some sliced onions and mushrooms. Pour on a jar of sauce (whatever you fancy - I've used onion gravy)

Gammon - put a whole joint in the pot and pour over either half a can of cider, or a carton of pinapple juice. Cook on low all day. Half an hour before you want to eat, take out the joint, smear it with honey and put it in a high oven.

Curries are especially good made in the slow cooker. Look at a few jars of curry sauce to get some ideas.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »

Chicken casserole - chop up potatoes, carrots, and turnips, in roughly the same size chunks. Put in the bottom of the slow cooker, with mushrooms and peeled baby onions. Brown the skins on 4 chicken thighs. Add to the pot. Pour on a pint of stock and a few drops of soy sauce. Cook on low all day. I serve it with Yorkshire puddings.

Sausages - brown the sausages, put in the pot with some sliced onions and mushrooms. Pour on a jar of sauce (whatever you fancy - I've used onion gravy)

Gammon - put a whole joint in the pot and pour over either half a can of cider, or a carton of pinapple juice. Cook on low all day. Half an hour before you want to eat, take out the joint, smear it with honey and put it in a high oven.

Curries are especially good made in the slow cooker. Look at a few jars of curry sauce to get some ideas.

Some great delicious ideas there :), have tried them all except for the soy sauce in the chicken casserole. The Gammon cooked in the slow cooker with pineapple juice is gorgeous & with the curries, I have found that Loyd Grossman sauces work really well in the slow cooker & give a much better flavour than Patak's. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmm... interesting... any school of thought as to a good slow cooker? (only for upto 2 people)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That gammon sounds lovely. Here are some slow cookers from Tescos I use the black Crockpot one thats 3.5 litres and £17 but my Mum uses the 6l one and you can get them as small as 2.5 litres :)

http://www.tesco.com/direct/home-electrical/slow-cookers/cat3374426.cat#scrollTo=11;pageNo=1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That gammon sounds lovely. Here are some slow cookers from Tescos I use the black Crockpot one thats 3.5 litres and £17 but my Mum uses the 6l one and you can get them as small as 2.5 litres :)

http://www.tesco.com/direct/home-electrical/slow-cookers/cat3374426.cat#scrollTo=11;pageNo=1

Ta, with my impatience I've gone and bought a Partitioned Morphy Richards from Argos... thinking that it might be useful for veggie wife as well.

Now, lentil curry.... :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some lovely recipes, thank you all!
    Forum Member
    Some great delicious ideas there :), have tried them all except for the soy sauce in the chicken casserole. The Gammon cooked in the slow cooker with pineapple juice is gorgeous & with the curries, I have found that Loyd Grossman sauces work really well in the slow cooker & give a much better flavour than Patak's. :)

Thank you :) I use the soy sauce instead of salt and it really does add a certain something!

Actually, I've just remembered - the last time I did sausages in the slow cooker, I used steak peppercorn sauce - yummy with jacket potatoes!
    Some lovely recipes, thank you all!

I hope you enjoy your slow cooker - it really is great to get home from work and have dinner ready and waiting for you! :) I love mine, but for I don't know what reason, it tends to stay in the cupboard for the summer and gets used a lot over the colder weather!

I've just remembered - a whole chicken cooked in the slow cooker is fantastic! It is rubbish for carving because the meat just falls off the bone, but you would be amazed at how much meat comes off a meduim sized chicken. I usually keep some for sandiwches and freeze the rest in batches for pies/pasta etc.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slow cookers come into their own with cheaper cuts of meat. I've done things like mutton curry, beef in ale and pork in wine. No recipes as I just sling things in :eek:. Though often I'll use tinned tomatoes as a base.
    I usually heat it all up in an ordinary pan first though - then transfer to the slow cooker.
    Oh and I've found that sometimes potato takes longer to cook than the flippin meat so now I cut up any potatoes quite small.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Thank you :) I use the soy sauce instead of salt and it really does add a certain something!

Actually, I've just remembered - the last time I did sausages in the slow cooker, I used steak peppercorn sauce - yummy with jacket potatoes!

I hope you enjoy your slow cooker - it really is great to get home from work and have dinner ready and waiting for you! :) I love mine, but for I don't know what reason, it tends to stay in the cupboard for the summer and gets used a lot over the colder weather!

I've just remembered - a whole chicken cooked in the slow cooker is fantastic! It is rubbish for carving because the meat just falls off the bone, but you would be amazed at how much meat comes off a meduim sized chicken. I usually keep some for sandiwches and freeze the rest in batches for pies/pasta etc.

I'm another novice slow-cooker owner and LOVE the sound of the sausages with peppercorn sauce. Will definitely be trying that. Thanks, Holly!
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These all sound lovely. Regarding the chicken casserole one, do you not have to put in some kind of thickening agent with the stock? What thickens the stock to make gravy?
  • AltheyaAltheya Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So simple it couldn't be classed as a recipe but:
    Pork tenderloin
    Chopped onion
    Bbq sauce

About 8 hours on low and it just falls apart.
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Whole Chicken- dead easy
    - breast side down with two stock cubes and boiled water to half cover.

Salt n peppa
    Paprika to give some colour
    Garlic if you're feeling fancy.
    Tablespoon of olive oil to keep it moist (possibly unnecessary)

I leave it on auto during the day. Or 6 hours on low does it

After cooking, drain rather than lift out chicken to prevent it falling apart.Meat falls off bone so no carving required.

Keep the drained water and add some veggies for tasty soup.:)
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    I'm another novice slow-cooker owner and LOVE the sound of the sausages with peppercorn sauce. Will definitely be trying that. Thanks, Holly!

No worries :) I love peppercorn sauce, but beef wasn't on special offer, so I thought I'd try sausages - turned out lovely! I also added a punnet of button mushrooms - I'm definitely going to make that again.
    birdsong wrote: »
    These all sound lovely. Regarding the chicken casserole one, do you not have to put in some kind of thickening agent with the stock? What thickens the stock to make gravy?

I have some thickening granuals which you are meant to add to thicken the stock into gravy, but I prefer it without. You could add a spoon of cornflour at the beginning or halfway through cooking, or use Bisto instead of stock, which would give a thicker gravy.
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No worries :) I love peppercorn sauce, but beef wasn't on special offer, so I thought I'd try sausages - turned out lovely! I also added a punnet of button mushrooms - I'm definitely going to make that again.

I have some thickening granuals which you are meant to add to thicken the stock into gravy, but I prefer it without. You could add a spoon of cornflour at the beginning or halfway through cooking, or use Bisto instead of stock, which would give a thicker gravy.

Thanks for those suggestions :).
    Forum Member
    birdsong wrote: »
    Thanks for those suggestions :).

That's OK :) When I first got my slow cooker, I had a fleeting moment when I wondered whether it would be one of those kitchen gadgets that are used once and then never again!

I admit that it does spend the summer just taking up space in the cupboard, but really comes into its own during the winter - there's nothing better than getting home when it's dark and cold outside, to find dinner waiting for you!
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try here - I found this site quite good when I started using mine.

http://www.slowcookerrecipes.org.uk/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's OK :) When I first got my slow cooker, I had a fleeting moment when I wondered whether it would be one of those kitchen gadgets that are used once and then never again!

I admit that it does spend the summer just taking up space in the cupboard, but really comes into its own during the winter - there's nothing better than getting home when it's dark and cold outside, to find dinner waiting for you!

I agree I work mid morning till mid afternoon and a couple of nights a week. It's nice to come home on a rainy cold day after being on my feet all day serving other people food to a lovely pot of something hot tasty and warming.