Are cars not required to stop at Zebra Crossings anymore

cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
Forum Member
I am a non driver and in my fifties.

I have noticed over the last few years whilst crossing at a Zebra crossings an increase in cars that just drive straight through. narrowly missing me on a couple of occasions.

Also whereas you used to get "I am sorry' from the driver concerned, recently I seem to get abuse from drivers for having the audacity to cross.

Have the rules changed or has it only always only been a custom.?

Comments

• kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    We have one of these crossings outside my work, no one wants to stop. I've been told that it says in the highway code unless they have stepped on to the crossing you don't have to stop- I don't know how true that is and am not prepared to risk my life to find out.
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As more and more drivers from a wider range of countries infiltrate the roads, our customs are disappearing.
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You aren't supposed to stop unless the pedestrian steps onto the crossing. I got a minor for that in my test 3 and a bit years ago.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    kitty86 wrote: »
    We have one of these crossings outside my work, no one wants to stop. I've been told that it says in the highway code unless they have stepped on to the crossing you don't have to stop- I don't know how true that is and am not prepared to risk my life to find out.

I don't know for sure but that's the way I do it.

Must say, I usually stop at ped' crossings when there are people near them but it's surprising how often I stop, only to have a couple of old women who're engaged in conversation turn and look at me like I'm retarded before going back to their chat.

I do wish pedestrians wouldn't stand near crossings unless they ARE actually intent on making use of them.
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    You aren't supposed to stop unless the pedestrian steps onto the crossing. I got a minor for that in my test 3 and a bit years ago.

I'm a driving examiner - if someone is waiting to cross at a continuous zebra crossing and the candidate makes no attempt to stop if its safe to then it's a serious fault and instant fail.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    forget zebra crossings, here in South London I see more and more red lights being ignored....
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I'm a driving examiner - if someone is waiting to cross at a continuous zebra crossing and the candidate makes no attempt to stop if its safe to then it's a serious fault and instant fail.

I though that was the case. A pedestrian would be rather silly to step onto a zebra crossing unless any oncoming vehicle had come to a halt as Jordan T91 suggests.
  • erasmus01erasmus01 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    All pedestrians are fair game, used to get 50 imaginary points for scaring the shite outa them.
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I don't know for sure but that's the way I do it.

Must say, I usually stop at ped' crossings when there are people near them but it's surprising how often I stop, only to have a couple of old women who're engaged in conversation turn and look at me like I'm retarded before going back to their chat.

I do wish pedestrians wouldn't stand near crossings unless they ARE actually intent on making use of them.

Oh yeah I agree that is annoying and does cause me to mutter about their stupidness as I drive past, but at this crossing cars don't even slow down when you are waiting if anything they speed up.
  • PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As more and more drivers from a wider range of countries infiltrate the roads, our customs are disappearing.

Including queuing for buses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was half way across and was missed by cms a few weeks ago, I banged the top of his car, twunt didn't even blink.
  • BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you got hit crossing one, Injury Lawyers 4U would jizz themselves!
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll admit I'm not savvy with the finer points of the highway code but I copied this from gov.uk:

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
    you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing

The only imperative word there is MUST, and that only applies when the pedestrian is on the crossing. That ties in with what I was taught (and stupidly ignored) and reflected in my test by the fact that I got a minor for stopping.

But I'm not a professional, and the only thing I can really comment on is that it's a bit of a no win situation for the driver.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    kitty86 wrote: »

I've heard that but like you, I'm not prepared to try it out!

I remember once when I was waiting at a crossing and a car stopped so I started to cross (nothing coming other way). Next thing I knew, a white van that was behind the car which had stopped decided that it wasn't waiting and causally drove round it and over the crossing so it's a good job I had my wits about me that day!

It's one of my pet hates, as well as people being unable to use their indicators, but I guess that's a whole other story.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seem to be some drivers who seem to think that their journey is so vastly important that any hindrance is more serious than if you were to sell their kids into slavery from the reaction I've seen on occasions.

And of course there are the terminally stupid and those who simply don't take any notice of what is going on around them. For example.

The other morning I was driving to work which included using a three lane one way street. The lights changed at a pedestrian crossing and me in lane 1 and the car in lane 3 stopped. As the people crossing started out some idiot came tanking up in lane 2, which happened to be clear, and went straight through the red lights. If the people crossing had taken just one step more he would have been wearing several as bonnet ornaments! Just simple lack of attention that fortunately for all concerned didn't end up far more seriously.
    Forum Member
    I'll admit I'm not savvy with the finer points of the highway code but I copied this from gov.uk:

look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross

The only imperative word there is MUST, and that only applies when the pedestrian is on the crossing. That ties in with what I was taught (and stupidly ignored) and reflected in my test by the fact that I got a minor for stopping.

But I'm not a professional, and the only thing I can really comment on is that it's a bit of a no win situation for the driver.

I guess the point is an examiner would have to judge whether the student IS actually "looking out for ped's and ready to slow down" etc.

TBH, I sometimes think that part of the driving test should be that students should verbally describe what they're doing and why as part of the test.

"Okay, I can see a zebra crossing up ahead but there's nobody near it so I'm going to continue through it..." etc.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe it's because of the increasing number of motorists who also cycle. They forget all about the Highway Code then get back in their cars ;)
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the idea with zebra crossings is that the pedestrian should wait until there is a break in traffic before beginning to cross,then any motorists that approach while the pedestrian is on the crossing must stop.

It's a common sense,give-and-take arrangement.

However,these rules were written 40 years ago when traffic was a lot lighter.

Break in traffic? What's that?
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    There seem to be some drivers who seem to think that their journey is so vastly important that any hindrance is more serious than if you were to sell their kids into slavery from the reaction I've seen on occasions.

Course, you also get pedestrians who seem to think they're so vastly important that when they step onto a zebra crossing without looking every car will instantly come to a halt and let them cross.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is someone at the crossing you MUST stop. If you don't you can be pulled over if your seen.

Although its more a game of the driver not stopping these days, they just slow and then you must decide if they are slowing for you or slowing to stop, or if there going to go slow enough, most of the time you end up running.

Don't even get me started on the cyclists.
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    cantos wrote: »
    I am a non driver and in my fifties.

I have noticed over the last few years whilst crossing at a Zebra crossings an increase in cars that just drive straight through. narrowly missing me on a couple of occasions.

Also whereas you used to get "I am sorry' from the driver concerned, recently I seem to get abuse from drivers for having the audacity to cross.

Have the rules changed or has it only always only been a custom.?

Really? They stop to shout at you, whereas they used to stop to apologise? If so, why not just stop in the first place and let you cross? :confused:
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But the first part says "be prepared to slow down or stop to let them cross". Therefore if there are people waiting to use the crossing then you should not be penalised for stopping to allow them to cross.
    Forum Member
    sarah0890 wrote: »
    I've heard that but like you, I'm not prepared to try it out!

I remember once when I was waiting at a crossing and a car stopped so I started to cross (nothing coming other way). Next thing I knew, a white van that was behind the car which had stopped decided that it wasn't waiting and causally drove round it and over the crossing so it's a good job I had my wits about me that day!

It's one of my pet hates, as well as people being unable to use their indicators, but I guess that's a whole other story.

I've seen one of my collegues get hit on the zebra crossing, he was going ape shit and wanted to drag the guy out of the car, we had to calm him down and remind him he was in full uniform it would be worse for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have one near where I live, I hate using it unless someone else is walking with me, Sad I know but so many times you go to walk and cars dont even stop and then when they do they're practically creeping up right next to you while you're walking across cos they cant wait the whole 10 seconds its takes to cross the road. I always thought if you went to walk out they're meant to stop yet you're playing a dangerous game there as half the time they don't stop anyway.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find that looking directly at the driver and smiling as you purposefully approach the crossing results in them stopping. It's the same psychology that I was taught by my motorbike instructor many years ago. Let the car drivers see that you're another human being, not just an obstacle in their journey.