Booking a holiday to the Caribbean, advice please.

2»

Comments

• JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    What a refreshing change that makes. If everyone had your attitude then we wouldent be in such a mess financially!!

I'm pretty sure you will be able to get something in your budget if booking in January as your travel dates are so flexible.

Thank you. Really hope so. As you can imagine, the fella I spoke to on the phone told me "there's no way you'll get away a similar deal if you wait, you have to book now"
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    Thank you. Really hope so. As you can imagine, the fella I spoke to on the phone told me "there's no way you'll get away a similar deal if you wait, you have to book now"

Possibly true, as he is not a fortune teller..so can't tell what the prices will be in the future, but at the same time it could be cheaper.

Though if your not booking until later on, it is pretty pointless getting prices now.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    One thing to be aware of is that June is the official start of Hurricane season, though you can get them in May as well. Don't be put off by it, as the chances of getting one that early in the season is remote.

Experiencing a hurricane would be part of the fun for me. (A bit less for the residents though..)

But it would be unusual for an occasional visitor to get caught up in one, even in the peak months.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't describe them as fun, been in two both Florida, most recent last year Hurricane Sandy.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a hurricane in Cancun when we were there, luckily not a full blown one, but it was the tail end of one. It was great, pubs were empty ;)
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prices tend to go up last minute. Look around now

I'd try first choice or virgin
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOHNOR wrote: »

might be right but remember the person on the phone is a sales person who is desperate for you to book, they will also try to sell you other things like travel insurance, (you can get this elsewhere)
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found a week to the Dominican Republic in mid-May on Thomson's site for £830 each all-inclusive from Gatwick.
  • ratty123ratty123 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I always use www.bookitlate.com (even though I book well in advance!). I had a quick search for Caribbean holidays in may next year and there are a few at £700pp.
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I think i'm definitely going to wait until I have all the money in place. Hopefully it'll be 4 months before departure and it'll still come in at budget.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Wouldn't describe them as fun, been in two both Florida, most recent last year Hurricane Sandy.

Well, memorable perhaps rather than fun. More so than my holidays anyway! My two were on a small island where you couldn't escape by jumping in a car.