Line of Duty - new drama series on BBC2

Comments

• penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really stupid question, But, which part is Neil Morrissey playing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drykid wrote: »
    It was annoying me trying to figure out what I know Gina McKee from, as she's one of these people who I recognise without being able to easily place. Anyway after looking at wikipedia I realised it was probably The Lost Prince that I most associate her with.

As for Line Of Duty I'm interested to see where it will go now. Up till the end of this episode I figured it would play out over the remaining episodes as a straightforward battle of wits between good cop and bad cop (with good cop presumably coming out victorious.) But now that it looks like bad cop is being framed for something he didn't do, I'm wondering if the two of them will somehow end up - reluctantly - co-operating in some way or other

And The Forsyte Saga re-make
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hes one of Gates' more senior detectives - the one with the bad leg, who would have been much happier working back in the days of Gene Hunt and Jack Reagan:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Hes one of Gates' more senior detectives - the one with the bad leg, who would have been much happier working back in the days of Gene Hunt and Jack Reagan:)

Thanks for that. Got him now - would never have recognised him. Why is it that people dislike Gina McKee so much?
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    If something - even a trailer - has aired on terrestrial tv (when its not even on a subscription channel like Sky or at US pace) reference to it is not a spoiler. At that point, it's up to a viewer who is keen to avoid any future plot reference to avoid threads like this.

And in this particular instance, it's not as though discussion of the trailer for next week's show came out of the blue.

I disagree.

Those who want to discuss next week's episode based on information they have found from any source, whether terrestrial TV, newspapers or internet, should do so with spoiler tags. It is just good manners.

This week's episode ended on a cliffhanger. The fact that some people then watched a trailer for next week's episode is of no interest to those of us who always switch off before such trailers.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailer aired on terrestrial tv. It is as simple as that. Viewers who don't like the (unnecessary, imo) habit of the "in next week's episode..." giving away plot points must take responsibility for their reading matter just as they took responsibility for looking away / changing channels / muting the tv / hitting the off switch as the credits rolled up the screen.

It so happens I don't welcome this style of trailer - though don't bother avoiding them - it's only a tv show. However I'm hardly going to demand that those who aren't exercised by over-descriptive trailers carefully partition their minds so that they are selective about which bit of the 60 minutes they discuss. If it's my problem, I solve it myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I was enjoying this. But the last ten seconds of episode 2 were ridiculous. Just silly.

I was only watching it for Craig Parkinson anyway. I love it when he's surly. And Adrian Dunbar's growly accent is a treat. He's my favourite character so far.

I also like the digs at police paperwork, and that's about it. I think I've given up on this.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. Got him now - would never have recognised him. Why is it that people dislike Gina McKee so much?

I recognised Neil Morissey straight away but had to rewatch to realise it was Kate Ashfield as Gates' wife.

Gina McKee is seen by many as an actress of distinctly limited range, though it doesn't seem to stop her regularly getting big parts in high profile dramas
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member

A lame part in more than one sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I recognised Neil Morissey straight away but had to rewatch to realise it was Kate Ashfield as Gates' wife.

Gina McKee is seen by many as an actress of distinctly limited range, though it doesn't seem to stop her regularly getting big parts in high profile dramas

I can't make up my mind on her - but I do think she has a very strong aura.

Who is Kate Ashfield?

Wish somebody would create something for David Hayman - I've always thought he's terrific.
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish somebody would create something for David Hayman - I've always thought he's terrific.

I was looking forward to watching David Hayman in "Blackout", but
    he appears to have croaked in Episode 1:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much better episode, enjoyed that one. The burglar who jumped confessing to all the other break-ins(to get a no prison deal so he could go on holiday) was very funny. Actually laughed out loud at that. And the young female PC when she said - that will be another 6 pages of forms to fill in.

I'm assuming Gina McKee's character is dead? Difficult to tell the difference with her.

MrsBK is taking me to the doctors tomorrow. She wants them to test me for senility. Only realised about halfway through this ep that Jack Laverty is actually Jackie:o:o. MrsBK knew all along that it was a way to help keep the affair secret from Gates' wife.

The gang at the end? The crims she launders money for decided to get rid of her maybe. Try and pin it on Gates. I wonder how willing an accomplice she was in all this. Maybe she was forced to do all the property deals? We shall see.

3 eps left and this may be a keeper of a series,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to add other than this series looks superb. Loving every episode as it airs.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Sorry to go OT but, is Blackout worth a look? Is it better than Line of Duty?

I haven't watched or downloaded it yet, seems to be set in it's own slightly stylised version of the world, just off to the left somewhere, going by the thread.
    Ecclestone fans seem to be taking to it on the whole.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1685918
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Sorry to go OT but, is Blackout worth a look? Is it better than Line of Duty?

I prefer Line of Duty to Blackout so far but both are good.
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it shallow with an unrealistic story line portraying characters from the 70's rather than today.
    But I gave it a go.
    PS...I found Blackout to have originality in the screenplay.
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

MrsBK is taking me to the doctors tomorrow. She wants them to test me for senility. Only realised about halfway through this ep that Jack Laverty is actually Jackie:o:o. MrsBK knew all along that it was a way to help keep the affair secret from Gates' wife.
    ... save me a seat next to you in the surgery ? :D - I spent half of last episode wondering who the **** Jack Laverty was.
  • CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was annoying me trying to figure out what I know Gina McKee from, as she's one of these people who I recognise without being able to easily place.

Our Friends In The North was probably the first time I saw her but then you're probably younger than I ;)

This was scheduled to go on BBC2 due to Blackout being ready for main slot Monday 9 p.m .BBC1.

Wow didn't see GM being offed ,in that violent manner coming , but have to admit to thinking something no one else has mentioned . Has Gates had her killed? See all the tears rolling down his face when he had her in the back of the car ? Me and my imagination eh ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Molly Hunt wrote: »
    ... save me a seat next to you in the surgery ? :D - I spent half of last episode wondering who the **** Jack Laverty was.

My husband was exactly the same, it gave me a great deal of satisfaction leaving him the dark :D
  • GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the second one last night - don't know if I'm just getting a bit squeamish in me old age
    but that was a shocking finish - could have done without it - not a turn on for me at all - definitely not for the kiddies - particularly girls - tried to warn the wife this morning about it without wanting to give anything away..
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better episode, enjoyed that one. The burglar who jumped confessing to all the other break-ins(to get a no prison deal so he could go on holiday) was very funny. Actually laughed out loud at that.
    It was funny. although it also made me think that there was a time when if I read in the paper about a convicted burglar it would inevitably say something at the end about how the accused had "asked for x [usually some huge number] other crimes to be taken into account." Which I don't seem to see in the press anymore. But maybe I don't read local papers as much as I used to.
    Casmana wrote: »
    Our Friends In The North was probably the first time I saw her but then you're probably younger than I ;)
    Nope actually it's funny you should say that cos I saw her listed for that on the wikipedia page for that and my reaction was "I don't remember her being in that show at all". But OFITN is a bit of a strange show for me. I watched it when it was first on in the 90s, and was incredibly moved by it. But for some reason very little of the plot or characters has stayed with me. What I do remember very clearly is the ending with the Oasis song playing. But it's good in a way cos it means that when I watch it again I probably won't be distracted by thinking about everything that's about to happen before it actually does on screen.

And "Jack Leverty" confused me too, though I did figure it out before the end. But does anyone really abbreviate "Jackie" to "Jack"? Or was the implication that the phone was doing it itself to fit the name on screen?
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed what I have watched of this series so far. One thing though, none of the characters seem likeable. They all seem rotten in one way or the other. Doesn't reflect on the police though, does it?

I wonder what real police officers think of this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gravitas wrote: »
    I watched the second one last night - don't know if I'm just getting a bit squeamish in me old age
    but that was a shocking finish - could have done without it - not a turn on for me at all - definitely not for the kiddies - particularly girls - tried to warn the wife this morning about it without wanting to give anything away..
    I've always been squeamish about graphic shots of throats being cut; I'm not sure why as I can watch someone getting shot on tv - replete with gaping wounds - and not be anywhere near as bothered. It's still someone dying at the end of the day... But there's something about throats being cut that pushes the wrong button somewhere for me. I usually end up involuntarily grabbing my own throat while watching for some reason heh
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And "Jack Leverty" confused me too, though I did figure it out before the end. But does anyone really abbreviate "Jackie" to "Jack"? Or was the implication that the phone was doing it itself to fit the name on screen?

I thought he did that so that if his wife saw it, she wouldn't suspect anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ok that didn't occur to me. Although if that was the logic then you'd think - as a supposedly smart copper - he'd use a totally different name to hers altogther, rather than one that still featured her (fairly uncommon) surname. But then I suppose that would've confused viewers even more.