Options

Moto X Coming To UK

Comments

• Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/17/motorola-moto-x-phone-review-google

One you get past the usual silly iComparison, it becomes a decent review, and highlights why it is a premium end smartphone.

I disagree that £380 is a 'mid range price'. That is certainly high end these days.

Interesting review, looks like a nice phone.

I do have a question about the "OK Google Now" function.

For the purposes of entertainment, I assume it is possible to be in a location where there are a number of people, call out "OK Google Now", and instruct the phones to do something:)

I bet there is a good chance you could get the phone to call "mum" or "dad" even if the phone is locked.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    ..I do have a question about the "OK Google Now" function...
    At least it does not waste loads of data sending your recorded voice to the cloud for processing.

A day or so ago, a presenter on Radio 5, used to hyping by his tech guest, asked Siri a question, got zilch and replied "Come on Siri is ludicrously bad isn't it?".

Yes, Now also has some of the traits of Siri, being not for everyone. It is maybe not as ludicrously bad being more tool than 'toy with personality' as then claimed on Radio 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    At least it does not waste loads of data sending your recorded voice to the cloud for processing.

A day or so ago, a presenter on Radio 5, used to hyping by his tech guest, asked Siri a question, got zilch and replied "Come on Siri is ludicrously bad isn't it?".

Yes, Now also has some of the traits of Siri, being not for everyone. It is maybe not as ludicrously bad being more tool than 'toy with personality' as then claimed on Radio 5.

Wow, I really think some individuals on here have become absolutely obsessed with Apple.

In response to a simple observation about "OK Google Now", you have managed to reply and not make a single reference to it and instead write 3 things about Siri.

I'm sure there is treatment available for this additction:)
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

For the purposes of entertainment, I assume it is possible to be in a location where there are a number of people, call out "OK Google Now", and instruct the phones to do something:)

I bet there is a good chance you could get the phone to call "mum" or "dad" even if the phone is locked.

Really I thought it came with voice recognition and responds only to a specific voice to avoid such things, you saying this is that not the case then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Really I thought it came with voice recognition and responds only to a specific voice to avoid such things, you saying this is that not the case then?

I don't know. That is why I said "assume".

Do you have to teach it your voice then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It adapts to your voice. So yes you can have multiple people with different vocal tones using their phones independently.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh I thought you had just read the review of the phone? So you just made this "assumption" and supposed this was the case based on what exactly?
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot mention this won't support VoLTE where as the Nexus 5 will. Another reason to buy the Nexus 5 over this unless people like talking to there device I can't see why you would buy this over the Nexus 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I thought you had just read the review of the phone? So you just made this "assumption" and supposed this was the case based on what exactly?

I'm really starting to worry about you. If you have no interests in my posts and all you are interested in is some sort of point scoring attempt, then you must have a very empty life.

As much as I like having my very own stalker, I never imagined it would be some apple obsessed weirdo on a DS forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So your wrong

I just get bored of seeing you nonsense posts time after time based on "tweaked" facts or no knowledge. In this case total misinformation to no end pointless. Point scoring seems to be the point of every post you make. Stop posting made up nonsense and I will more than gladly ignore every one of your posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your wrong

I just get bored of seeing you nonsense posts time after time based on "tweaked" facts or no knowledge. In this case total misinformation to no end pointless. Point scoring seems to be the point of every post you make. Stop posting made up nonsense and I will more than gladly ignore every one of your posts.

So you are just trolling:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No that would be someone who posts made up facts purely for effect. Anyway you are wrong, embarrassed yourself yet again so you can lash out like a little child all you like, point made ;-)
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow....)
    Appears that I somehow glanced over rour light question as being another 'not ideal' viewpoint without an argument.
    For that I apoligise.

On that Volte topic, this is another unknown with some extremely mixed claims. (got a digital roof aerial anyone?)
    And from what I understand EE won't implement it this year, maybe not even next!
    Some can make it out to be just VOIP, a big can of worms for mobile companies like EE.

If you want a chance of VOLTE, you have to buy a Samsung, but don't ever expect to be able to use it.
  • Options
    springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member

I do have a question about the "OK Google Now" function.

The "Ok Google Now" will only work for your voice. When you get the device you will need to train it with your voice. Just Google it and watch some YouTube videos if you are concern about it.

If you have your phone with a pattern or pin lock "OK Google Now" will not work, however there is a feature to say your pin out loud if you do have a pin, which is just wrong IMO.

Also, amazon is selling it for £349. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HU2KSSK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BA9HSCSBVW98D63452P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

I think the price should have been closer to the £329 to be honest with the 32GB coming in at around £369.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    springy wrote: »
    The "Ok Google Now" will only work for your voice. When you get the device you will need to train it with your voice. Just Google it and watch some YouTube videos if you are concern about it.

If you have your phone with a pattern or pin lock "OK Google Now" will not work, however there is a feature to say your pin out loud if you do have a pin, which is just wrong IMO.

Also, amazon is selling it for £349. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HU2KSSK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BA9HSCSBVW98D63452P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

I think the price should have been closer to the £329 to be honest with the 32GB coming in at around £369.

Thanks for the sensible answer. I can't imagine anyone setting the option to say their pin out loud. :)
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the sensible answer. I can't imagine anyone setting the option to say their pin out loud. :)
    Setting the option does not mean you have to say your PIN out loud every time, as yes that would be daft. Most of the time you would still enter your PIN as normal. However, in the privacy of your own car, for instance, being able to say your PIN rather than having to look at and type on your phone to unlock it, this feature makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Setting the option does not mean you have to say your PIN out loud every time, as yes that would be daft. Most of the time you would still enter your PIN as normal. However, in the privacy of your own car, for instance, being able to say your PIN rather than having to look at and type on your phone to unlock it, this feature makes a lot of sense.

You don't have to, you can use the Trusted Bluetooth Device to unlock the device :) - another feature that Moto X has :)

Also speaking of unlocking, you can buy an NFC tag that can also unlock your device so say you put it on your shirt you just have to tap it to unlock it and it will bypass the pin. Great but if you have the NFC tag stolen then your phone is compromised.

The bluetooth is much better as when it is connected it will know that your phone is in a trusted location, i.e. car or at a PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to, you can use the Trusted Bluetooth Device to unlock the device :) - another feature that Moto X has :)
    You are correct, but my point wasn't whether you have to unlock it in a car or not - just an example of a situation where saying your PIN out loud is a sensible option, in response to those scoffing at the idea of it.

On this note, is it actually confirmed that the whole handsfree "OK Google" thing is going to work in the UK? It certainly doesn't on the Nexus 5 (in its more limited form), but obviously the Moto X "listens" for your voice rather than any, so presumably this should still be enabled?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the general consensus is that google now works just fine and is perfectly secure regardless of the view some of the more uninformed and embarrassing posts would have you believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the general consensus is that google now works just fine and is perfectly secure regardless of the view some of the more uninformed and embarrassing posts would have you believe.
    Yeah, sorry, I was talking specifically about the "OK Google" hotword detection, which currently only works if you set the language to English (US), which then has the nasty side effect of misinterpreting some of your instructions.

Google Now is truly fantastic, it has to be said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would agree and a feature I would really like, the always on element makes speech worthwhile for the first time I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are correct, but my point wasn't whether you have to unlock it in a car or not - just an example of a situation where saying your PIN out loud is a sensible option, in response to those scoffing at the idea of it.

On this note, is it actually confirmed that the whole handsfree "OK Google" thing is going to work in the UK? It certainly doesn't on the Nexus 5 (in its more limited form), but obviously the Moto X "listens" for your voice rather than any, so presumably this should still be enabled?

Ok Google Now should work. It is a feature of the Moto X because of the extra low power processor.

And OK Google does work for the Nexus 5, just change the language to English US and it will work when you are in the Home Screen. I never know why Google just don't enable it across all english language like the iOS Search app does...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok Google Now should work. It is a feature of the Moto X because of the extra low power processor.
    By the same logic, "OK Google" should work on the Nexus 5 because it's a feature of Android 4.4. But, it doesn't, unless...
    OK Google does work for the Nexus 5, just change the language to English US and it will work when you are in the Home Screen
    which is exactly what I said two posts ago. This really is a kludge rather than a solution, and once in English (US) it then has difficulties understanding some things - more so place names and suchlike rather than standard stuff like "how old is barack obama", which it tends to understand regardless of language. But try "navigate to Towcester" in English (US) mode and see where you end up ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the same logic, "OK Google" should work on the Nexus 5 because it's a feature of Android 4.4.

Er no it not the same. The Moto X has a dedicated processor running for voice activation which executes irrespective of locale.

The Nexus has just enabled the microphone on the home screen for English (US) - useful but not in the same league as the Moto X.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    Er no it not the same. The Moto X has a dedicated processor running for voice activation which executes irrespective of locale.
    And that has been 100% confirmed, has it? If so, can you please point me in the direction of the confirmation so that my question ("has it been confirmed?") can be answered in a less patronising way? I *understand* the dedicated processor and I *understand* it has been trained to a person's own voice. But I also believe that the UK limitation on the Nexus devices is an artificial one, which is why I'd like confirmation (not in the form "er no") that the Moto X s not similarly artificially restricted.