BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I am not the greatest fan of Rachel Burden, but I have to admit to feeling a bit sorry for her this morning. The 30 minutes leading up to 7.00 were pretty dreadful broadcasting.

A relentlessly negative interview on expressions of interest in the Commomwealth Games, when she misunderstood a reply and went off on the wrong tack, then an interview with an old guy with a bee in his bonnet, who claimed that a parking ticket that had been overturned on appeal had cause him so much stress he that was suing the council for not personally apologising, then a car crash of an interview about the remaking of "Top Gun" with a so called American Showbiz journalist, who just gave one word answers.

The latter was not helped by the intervention of NC, but Burden was massively underprepared. She thought Tom Cruise was going to be a fighter pilot in the remake ( it's about drones), and that it would be a good recruiting tool for the US Air Force (it's about the Navy).

All that, and a constant thread that every story they covered was an April Fool's joke. Burden obviously did not pick the interviewees, but It was so bad it was fascinating.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    I am not the greatest fan of Rachel Burden, but I have to admit to feeling a bit sorry for her this morning. The 30 minutes leading up to 7.00 were pretty dreadful broadcasting.

A relentlessly negative interview on expressions of interest in the Commomwealth Games, when she misunderstood a reply and went off on the wrong tack, then an interview with an old guy with a bee in his bonnet, who claimed that a parking ticket that had been overturned on appeal had cause him so much stress he that was suing the council for not personally apologising, then a car crash of an interview about the remaking of "Top Gun" with a so called American Showbiz journalist, who just gave one word answers.

The latter was not helped by the intervention of NC, but Burden was massively underprepared. She thought Tom Cruise was going to be a fighter pilot in the remake ( it's about drones), and that it would be a good recruiting tool for the US Air Force (it's about the Navy).

All that, and a constant thread that every story they covered was an April Fool's joke. Burden obviously did not pick the interviewees, but It was so bad it was fascinating.

Thank goodness I was still asleep while all that was going on :o
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »

Yes, I heard all that this morning. Absolute cringe making radio with both interviewer and interviewees at their very worst.
  • SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Change your tablet brand.

You mean from an Apple iPad to a Toshiba Handibook? :D
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    No I'm just a listener and industry professional who happens to rate her as a presenter. Given the fact that she is on national radio and has been for a number of years i'd say i'm not alone.

I can accept that you don't agree however you seem unable to grasp the fact that someone can rate her work without having a personal interest.

the fact she's still on national radio is a mystery unless it's the standard fare nepotism at work....there's not much else can explain her continuing presence........was awful on the job shop last week and she's truly dreadful on her forays into newsnight at least she's tucked away on radio in the mornings for the moment....
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    The general consesus on here is that Victoria makes a poor job if everything. Luckilly I actually listen to her show sometimes and know that it isn't true. She is a great presenter and an asset to 5 live.

You cannot be serious surely!! She is awful!
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    the fact she's still on national radio is a mystery unless it's the standard fare nepotism at work....there's not much else can explain her continuing presence........was awful on the job shop last week and she's truly dreadful on her forays into newsnight at least she's tucked away on radio in the mornings for the moment....

Oh come on, Derbyshire is a GREAT presenter and we're all wrong - ses Station ID who is all knowing and we know nothing. Meanwhile Lbc shareholders are rubbing their hands together.
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Victoria Derbyshire is not a great presenter, but she is a better presenter than many on here will ever give her credit for.

She doesn't help herself, but she has reached the point on here where she simply has only to appear on the radio to annoy some members. Which is sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiotuner wrote: »
    Victoria Derbyshire is not a great presenter, but she is a better presenter than many on here will ever give her credit for.

She doesn't help herself, but she has reached the point on here where she simply has only to appear on the radio to annoy some members. Which is sad.

However true. Be afraid, very afraid she could be on Dinner Dates next.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Oh come on, Derbyshire is a GREAT presenter and we're all wrong - ses Station ID who is all knowing and we know nothing. Meanwhile Lbc shareholders are rubbing their hands together.

You are entitled to your opinion just as I'm entitled to mine which I'm sticking to. She is not popular with a few posters on here but she seems to be doing ok in the real world.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My problem with Victoria Derbyshire is not her presenting but her subject matter but having said that that debate on Scottish Nationalism was a real dogs dinner of a debate by anybody's standards . :confused:
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D

ah yes when she seems to annoy more people than James O Brien that's the tipping point! :D:D:D
    You are entitled to your opinion just as I'm entitled to mine which I'm sticking to. She is not popular with a few posters on here but she seems to be doing ok in the real world.

what constitutes the real world? when 5live is driven by twitter and facebook these days opinion on the web is as valid as other areas to criticise from and in another way......

she is doing OK at the BBC due to her connections...any other presenter may have been gone by now.....however that recent documentary on how the BBC is run shows that maybe she wouldn't be.... W1A..catch it on iplayer... ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your idea of a few is different to mine. Doing ok in the real world is laughable when backed up by nepotism. The bbc SHOULD publish listening figures for 10am to noon it would help back your case up...however it don't!!! Julia Hartley Brewer eats Derbyshire for breakfast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiotuner wrote: »

How does not she help herself, pray tell.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your idea of a few is different to mine. Doing ok in the real world is laughable when backed up by nepotism. The bbc SHOULD publish listening figures for 10am to noon it would help back your case up...however it don't!!! Julia Hartley Brewer eats Derbyshire for breakfast.

We do not get the figures but the station has them and if they are not good she would be gone.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member

Look back at this thread and you'll see there are many posts but from just a few people.

Nepotism is a joke and her bloke is certainly out of favour at the bbc abd hasn't worked at 5 live for some time so I don't buy that argument at all. The reason she is still on that show (and has been for some time) is that she is believed to be doing a good job. The station are clearly happy and she must be delivering a healthy audience.

I don't expect you to agree with my point of view but that's life I suppose. As neither one of us has the current listening figures for her show then we can't really progress this debate any futher. It comes down to the fact you don't like her and I do.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'm just a listener and industry professional who happens to rate her as a presenter.

Whats an ' industry professional ' when its at home ?

More incoherent BBC jargon regarding job descriptions.

Can't wait for more W1A tonight. :) Really enjoying that programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID... just for information you are not Fedsters alter ego are you?
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    We do not get the figures but the station has them and if they are not good she would be gone.

As would all the other presenters the few critics on here seem to obsess about.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . It comes down to the fact you don't like her and I do.

Come now Station ID, you can't possibly like her, the whole world despises the woman don't you know.:D
  • Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    With all due respect I have to agree with Station ID, this thread is dominated with people who think their opinions some how represent the majority of 5live listeners, why would 5live keep Derbyshire on, if she is not delivering a healthy audience, it does not make sense.

It might hard for the posters here to accept, however the vast majority of 5live listeners are happy with 5live as it is today, that's why the likes of Derbyshire are still working at 5live.

Btw I am not Fedster!!
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »

The BBC is always crowing and gloating about ratings or some other audience figures they willingly release when it suits them. Probably because the individual listener figures are so bad they dare not inform the wider world.I can't see any other reason why they don't ?

If in fact Derbyshire and others are delivering ' healthy audience figures ' then there is absolutely no reason not to release this information for all to see and so be compared with other radio presenters..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard Dotun for the first time in in months a couple of nights ago. He seems worse than ever. He could barely read a message out without stuttering, pausing and generallly making a mess of it. His figures may be good enough for that time slot but he really should go imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning my barber had Five on. At the end of the 10am news segment there was a noticeable silence. This was followed by George Reilly saying "Oh no, not again!". The reply from the GREAT presenter was "Oops, sorry, I was reading". He was not amused.
    I sat there reading the free rag in silence in the "queue" and noted said barber, mid haircut silently flicked the channel over to BBC Essex. I told him he might he might be interested in Spotify.
  • JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This morning my barber had Five on. At the end of the 10am news segment there was a noticeable silence. This was followed by George Reilly saying "Oh no, not again!". The reply from the GREAT presenter was "Oops, sorry, I was reading". He was not amused.
    I sat there reading the free rag in silence in the "queue" and noted said barber, mid haircut silently flicked the channel over to BBC Essex. I told him he might he might be interested in Spotify.

Is that a case of more cuts for the BBC..:D
This discussion has been closed.