Options

Throat plegm problem

CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Nothing serious just VERY annoying. I came down with a mild cold but I have one issue that is been causing me annoyance The bit just up the top and at the back of the throat feels like it has a bit of phlegm trapped there. I have tried clearing my throat and that works like one in every 20 times and even then it feels like a film of phlegm is back there almost immediately. I'm not even sure if it is mucous or the layer itself. But I keep clearing and nothing really happens. My throat hurts more form the constant failed attempts to clear it then the coughing or sore throat itself. I have tried various drinks too.

Think of it like someone has put a bandage up the back of your throat.

Is there anything I can try that will clear this pain in the ass thing? I can't sleep with it and I need to be up at 7am for work.

Comments

• Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Could be something physical. Best get the doc to have a look down there.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Could be something physical. Best get the doc to have a look down there.

Oh no it's not that bad. It's done this before when I've been ill. Just tonight it's being ultra annoying
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I've had similar, vapour rub helped.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Sounds like something horrible that I also suffer from, called 'post nasal drip'.

It's like a continuous stream of mucus (ugh!) in the back of your throat, related to sinus problems. It causes me to cough too. Medicines are available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-nasal_drip
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    As a fellow sufferer I would also suggest post nasal drip. Menthol or vapour rub can help, or a hot shower.
  • Options
    madscotsboymadscotsboy Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    A bit random but I've done this for a while and find it helps...

Stick your thumbs just under the top of your eye sockets (in the crease of your eyelid) and run your thumbs along your socket. I find that clears all the gunk from my throat.

Something of an interim measure I picked up from my grandparents. They were a bit weird...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Nothing serious just VERY annoying. I came down with a mild cold but I have one issue that is been causing me annoyance The bit just up the top and at the back of the throat feels like it has a bit of phlegm trapped there. I have tried clearing my throat and that works like one in every 20 times and even then it feels like a film of phlegm is back there almost immediately. I'm not even sure if it is mucous or the layer itself. But I keep clearing and nothing really happens. My throat hurts more form the constant failed attempts to clear it then the coughing or sore throat itself. I have tried various drinks too.

Think of it like someone has put a bandage up the back of your throat.

Is there anything I can try that will clear this pain in the ass thing? I can't sleep with it and I need to be up at 7am for work.

If it's phlegm it should clear up in a week or so. Phlegm is produced as a reaction to infection, but it can hang around after the infection has passed.

But if you have something stuck in your throat, such as a small fish bone, that could cause a coughing reflex too. So might pay to let a medic have a quick look.

If it is phlegm, then strong mentholyptus lozenges, or Fisherman's Friends might help.

Gargling with a solution of soluble aspirin should also help with the soreness.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suffer something rotten with my throat, often losing my voice. A chemist recommended something called vocalzone.

They are little hard black pastilles that taste absolutely rank but they contain myrrh.
    Although they are for vocal problems they do help clear the throat and nasal passages.
    They are the best of over counter remedies for a poorly throat that I have come across and I am never without them at this time of year.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly try not to eat dairy products, they are terrible at producing phlegm.

secondly, I took had that drip thing when I was at college years ago, took ages off college because it was actually making me choke and I couldnt breath and when I coughed, it was so uncontrollable and spasmodic it caused me to be sick each time, it was awful. I had it for about 6 weeks.

In the end it went of its own accord but many years later I was diagnosed with asthma and I find my pumps now take the edge of that and stop the spasms of the cough.

I second the vapour rub, also putting some ginger, black pepper and pine/lemon oils etc in an oil burner and letting that burn, also really horrible tasting cough pastilles.

I sympathise.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had this for years and it can really get on your nerves. It seems particularly bad at this time of year, when I seem to be affected by mould spores rather than pollen.

I went out for a walk today and spent every few steps having to clear my nose. I know it's disgusting, but it was in open countryside with nobody within sight up to the horizon :D My paper handkerchiefs (Plenty kitchen roll actually) were sodden within a few minutes and I could hardly see where I was going because my eyes were running so much.

I was also getting a bit worried about a persistent cough, but I actually feel better about it if this is the cause.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My last cough lasted for three months, my boss got sick of it ( not as much as me) that she asked me to go to my GP.

He gave me short shrift and told me it would go in its own time and to leave alone.
    As I walked down the corridor and out of the practise I notice two posters about seeing a GP if you had a persistent cough that lasted three weeks or more.........go figure!

He was right though, it lasted another month then cleared up .

As others have posted Nasal Drip is often the culprit of a night time cough but then so is sleep apnoea which I was also tested for.

I would suggest a visit to your GP , why not try to get an appointment for Friday and if it has cleared up by then cancel it. At least that way you will have some answers by the weekend one way or another
  • Options
    LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem, its driving me crazy. As soon as I lie down at night I have a tickly cough, its been going on for months. Sounds like that nasal drip thingy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I also agree with it possibly being post-nasal drip. I've had the same thing since August but it's calmed down a lot since I've been using a nasal spray prescribed by my doctor. Two sprays in each nostril morning and night calms it down to a significant degree.

If it continues then I'd definitely see a doctor if I were you.