Streaming media to HTC One

General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
Forum Member
Hiya,
Got a HTC One for Christmas, and I've been having a jolly old time messing around with it. However, the problem I'm having is that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access any media (videos and music), so I can stream those over my local network via wifi to my phone.

I'm using PS3 Media Server as the client to stream stuff directly from my PC to various devices, including a Samsung telly, which works fine.

There doesnt seem to be anyway to access the network directly within the phones internal menu structure. Its a bit wierd, because on my previous old school phone (a Sony Ericsson W995) I could listen to music and watch videos very easily. Just a case of accessing the local network.

Is there something very simple I'm missing out on here? I have both MX Player and VLC media player installed as apps, because the default player seems to be a bit lame, however there seems to be no option to do the above. Theres an option to add a network stream in MX Player, and similar in VLC, but thats not what I want.
Help me out will you?
Kifflom

Comments

• pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Search "Bubble Upnp" in the Play Store, and install. This will allow access to your media server and any other DLNA server.
  • General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Search "Bubble Upnp" in the Play Store, and install. This will allow access to your media server and any other DLNA server.

Cheers. That seems to be working pretty well, apart from the adware trying to flog me fire alarms. Ive been doing a bit of googling and ES File Explorer seems to be the other option. Is that any better?
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ES File Explorer is more of a file manager. Yes it lets you view things over network but it's not quite as easy to use for media.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the pro (paid) version of Bubble removes the ads. ES File Explorer is a file manager, which will let you explore files on your phone and, when configured correctly, your network, so you may be able to achieve the same result depending on how the PS3 serves its files. It's free, though, so you've nothing to lose by giving it a go and seeing which you prefer. (I believe ES File Explorer has ads too in the free version)
  • YogimaxYogimax Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Use a combination of ES File Explorer to find the files, and then MX Player to play them.

However if you have a PC / Mac / NAS you can use as a media server, I would recommend you use Plex for streaming. Once configured it will pick up the metadata for your media and will automatically transcode your media to the format required by your device(s). The Plex Media Server is free as is a myPlex account, and the android app is about £3. There is a free Plex channel for most media devices as well e.g. Roku

I have been using it to stream all my media in my house and externally to my family for the last couple of years. :cool:

Edit: there is also a free Samsung TV app for Plex.