The Horrible adults in the early Harry Potter Movies

Mr MoriartyMr Moriarty Posts: 593
Forum Member
✭✭
Feelin a bit sick so popped on something undemanding and warm on - Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone - still enjoy it as the childish piece of entertainment it is, but it was unexpectedly hilarious in just how many contrived plot movements and actions made almost ALL of the adult characters seem guilty of moderate to pretty strong child abuse. Now I am not one to let plot contrivances affect my enjoyment of a blockbuster type film, but damn this movie was full of them, so many of which made the adult characters seem ruthlessley careless bordering on evil. Cannot wait now to watch the rest and see if they all continue their reign of psychological abuse

Thinking about starting a drinking game based around that, actually :D

Comments

• KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're over-exaggerating.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feelin a bit sick so popped on something undemanding and warm on - Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone - still enjoy it as the childish piece of entertainment it is, but it was unexpectedly hilarious in just how many contrived plot movements and actions made almost ALL of the adult characters seem guilty of moderate to pretty strong child abuse. Now I am not one to let plot contrivances affect my enjoyment of a blockbuster type film, but damn this movie was full of them, so many of which made the adult characters seem ruthlessley careless bordering on evil. Cannot wait now to watch the rest and see if they all continue their reign of psychological abuse

Awesome movie :D

Evil is a bit harsh.

Plus it's not childish entertainment as you put it >:(
  • Mr MoriartyMr Moriarty Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome movie :D

Evil is a bit harsh.

Plus it's not childish entertainment as you put it >:(

it IS an awesome movie - but lets face it pretty childish in tone if not always in content

my personal fave moment is the kids being sent out to the forbidden forest as a punishment. bloody sadistic hogwarts teachers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it IS an awesome movie - but lets face it pretty childish in tone if not always in content

my personal fave moment is the kids being sent out to the forbidden forest as a punishment. bloody sadistic hogwarts teachers

My fave moment is the chess set/game towards the end.

I saw some of the chess pieces last month at my 2nd visit to the Harry Potter Studio Tour :D
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Umbridge was an evil old cow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »

Yes!! What an evil bitch!! All that pink was an assault on the eyes. Though I would love one of her kitten plates :D
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »

She seems worse in the book. I remember being so angry on Harry's behalf when she makes him do lines.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seems worse in the book. I remember being so angry on Harry's behalf when she makes him do lines.:o

Me too. He wasn't the only student who got that punishment. Lee Jordan had it too and probablyr several more students.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all step-parents are evil. that's the truth, people. a staple of fairy stories down the ages. That's what HP is. A kid's fairy story.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dursleys are a comic turn in the early books - it's not until the later ones that it hits you just how abused and neglected Harry was as a child. That is, after the tone becomes serious, and the childish stuff is left behind.

The films are dreadful for portraying Hogwarts as a dangerous and uncaring place for kids. In the books that's not the case.

I have watched the films, but I find they just make me annoyed by all the stuff left out, all the stuff put in, all the stuff changed and the lack of proper explanations. (And Lily with brown eyes? Good grief!).

I'm surprised anyone can make head or tail of what's happening in the films half the time - though given some of the comments I've read on here over the years, I suspect quite a lot of people don't really get what's going on.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member

Yeah. She just did it for fun. Completely and utterly evil. On some levels worse than Voldemort.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

You think that's bad?

I was reading this children's story the other day and it featured a stepmother who forced her husband to to abandon the children of his first marriage in the forest, not once but twice.:o

Then this witch was planning to eat the children and they only escaped by roasting the witch alive in her own oven.:o:o

Thank goodness the Government is considering legislation to criminalise this sort of behaviour...

Children's stories have always had a dark side to them.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I was thought the Triwizard tournament in Goblet Of FIre was odd. Sending the pupils to fight a dragon which could have killed them. In fact all parts of this tournament were life threatening. Yet the teachers sent them out to what could have been their deaths as a piece of entertainment for other pupils and even bought in some pupils from another country to potentially kill them too! Hardly the actions of a responsible boarding school.! Or maybe I missed the point!
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I was thought the Triwizard tournament in Goblet Of FIre was odd. Sending the pupils to fight a dragon which could have killed them. In fact all parts of this tournament were life threatening. Yet the teachers sent them out to what could have been their deaths as a piece of entertainment for other pupils and even bought in some pupils from another country to potentially kill them too! Hardly the actions of a responsible boarding school.! Or maybe I missed the point!

Well to be fair you were only supposed to be able to enter if you were 17 or over which was an adult in the wizard world so I suppose they were able to understand and accept the danger.

In the books the protections were fairly clear. The wizards who brought the dragons were standing by with stunning spells if necessary, the mermen were working with Dumbledore and keeping an eye on things and the teachers were patrolling around the edge of the maze in case the champions got into trouble. In the films though it did seem like they were just left to it!
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The odd thing I found about the tournament was that other than the first task, from a spectator's point of view, it was pretty dire.
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad eye Moody - what a nutcase that guy was. Both the real and fake one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah regardless of age restrictions, the idea that they would put the students through such dangerous challenges, and the lack of care all round in the tournament was shocking. And the whole can't not take part because its bound in magic or whatever - sorry but WHAT lol - who the hell is regulating this? if harry didnt take part, would he die or something? Goblet of fire is a fave of mine but it really does not bear much of any kind of scrutiny.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah regardless of age restrictions, the idea that they would put the students through such dangerous challenges, and the lack of care all round in the tournament was shocking. And the whole can't not take part because its bound in magic or whatever - sorry but WHAT lol - who the hell is regulating this? if harry didnt take part, would he die or something? Goblet of fire is a fave of mine but it really does not bear much of any kind of scrutiny.

Try reading post #15.

This is what I meant by my remarks about the films being rubbish in comparison to the books, the lack of explanation in the films and the fact that people get the wrong idea about what's going on.

But I suppose reading books is beyond some people.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I found odd that was before the contest all the teachers made a big song and dance about how dangerous it was, and how you could be killed, after all only older students could take part because it was so dangerous and they might die, yes death was a real possibility because it was so dangerous...did we mention how dangerous it was?

And then someone dies...and the teachers all looked shocked and stunned because someone died.

Did they not listen to themselves earlier? Or were they just trash talking to big it up and in reality it should have been as dangerous as a three legged race. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try reading post #15.

This is what I meant by my remarks about the films being rubbish in comparison to the books, the lack of explanation in the films and the fact that people get the wrong idea about what's going on.

There is no need to be so clearly derogatory - I am personally not about to judge people for not reading something.

And this thread is not about the books - we are talking about and taking the movies as separate entities here - so explanations that are included in the books are irrelevant to the discussion, as they are not included in the movies and re therefore likely not cannon within them - and either way, there is no need for snide, judgmental comments - this thread is meant to be a bit of a laugh, not an excuse to take potshots at people you think have misunderstood something, or lack knowledge of the books because they have not read them.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    All the adults in Harry Potter are generally insane and irrational, even the supposedly "good" ones.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why does Hagrid send them to be eaten by the giant spider in the second one?
  • g4jcg4jc Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think that's bad?

I was reading this children's story the other day and it featured a stepmother who forced her husband to to abandon the children of his first marriage in the forest, not once but twice.:o

Then this witch was planning to eat the children and they only escaped by roasting the witch alive in her own oven.:o:o

Thank goodness the Government is considering legislation to criminalise this sort of behaviour...

Children's stories have always had a dark side to them.

Yep! Saw nursery rhymes and the traditional fairy/once upon a time type stories from a completely different perspective when my son was little. :o

Still, kids always seem to enjoy a scary story :D As an adult they scared me silly :o

AND I still think that Goldilocks was an out and out brat, cavorting around folk's houses stealing and vandalising. Where were her parents? Did they know where she was? :D

All those adults, out chopping up the local wild life, poisoning the fruit, abandoning the kids, or sending them on long walks in the woods with known psychos! :o
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL.

I'd expect this sort of comment on a thread about the adaption of high literature into film, not Harry Potter!
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Why does Hagrid send them to be eaten by the giant spider in the second one?

He didn't send them to be eaten (at least not intentionally lol). He wanted to clear his name and that the pet spider he used to look after as a kid was never the monster of the Chamber of Secrets.