EE - Would Joe Absolom ever return as Matthew Rose?

_elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
Forum Member
✭✭
I was just lamenting in another thread how we'll never get a Steve Owen return (more's the pity) when it struck me that the door was essentially left open for the other character I absolutely adored from his era, Matthew Rose.

For me, Joe Absolom was the best young male actor EE has ever seen, and Matthew was the most complex and sympathetic young male character the show has ever created. I sometimes think people go a bit overboard talking up the past on this board and pining for old characters to return to try and recapture the 'glory days', but EE was genuinely enthralling when the Saskia murder storyline was running and I would welcome a return for Matthew. Maybe he could come to Walford as a successful businessman with a family of his own but who is still fighting the demons of what happened to him when he was younger. Maybe he could morph into a Steve Owen of his own, essentially becoming the person he hated most in the world.

Does anyone else feel the same way or is Matthew better left in the past? And how do people rate his character in retrospect?

Comments

• ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    Personally I think Matthew is best left in the past. I never took to any of the Rose family, his mother was so miserable for instance.

I do like Joe though, although I only ever see him in Doc Martin, have no idea as to what else he gets up to
  • SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I don't see any reason for him to come back. Sometimes bringing back a character from the past ruins the memories of them. Just look at the mess they made of Den's return, and now Kathy's.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt he would come back.
  • dickronsondickronson Posts: 2,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could return with Teresa Di Marco? That could pave the way for Bepe and his son, who must be an adult by now.

It would be interesting to see Bepe and Courtney meet as well, he's the only man who ever did right by her mother.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure, let me ask him.

EDIT: He said no.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not if he has any sense.

He played his part in a big storyline. Where else do you take him?

I would rather EE created some new exiting ideas like the Saskia plot was rather than copy the past or recycle ideas.

It seems the writers these days have zero imagination. This is why the show need NEW characters that don't have 'secrets' or 'related to an existing Walford member".
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not. I couldn't stand his character. I was #TeamOwen all the way.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not. I couldn't stand his character. I was #TeamOwen all the way.

What didn't you like about him? I loved Steve as well but it was awful when Matthew was sent to prison, I remember there being an absolute uproar about it! (Because it was back in the day when people still got excited by soaps. :D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    What didn't you like about him? I loved Steve as well but it was awful when Matthew was sent to prison, I remember there being an absolute uproar about it! (Because it was back in the day when people still got excited by soaps. :D)

It's a long time ago but I think I found him boring and annoying. I do remember I wasn't bothered when Steve stitched him up:D
  • McGillicuddyMcGillicuddy Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember I found the Steve/Matthew/Saskia stuff on youtube and rewatched. It was a great storyline, I especially enjoyed Matthew's adorable teary face whenever Steve started pawing at him to calm him down about what they'd done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a long time ago but I think I found him boring and annoying. I do remember I wasn't bothered when Steve stitched him up:D

Ah okay, so you have a history of not being impressed by the young male ingenues on the show? ;-) I found him far from boring and annoying but mainly because he was so integral to the best EE storyline ever, Saskia's murder.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Only if he has this hairstyle
    http://www.setcelebs.com/images/joe-absolom-02.jpg

hmmm...Ronnie's son?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember I found the Steve/Matthew/Saskia stuff on youtube and rewatched. It was a great storyline, I especially enjoyed Matthew's adorable teary face whenever Steve started pawing at him to calm him down about what they'd done.

They were very homoerotic, weren't they? I blame them entirely for my future fascination with gay men. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So 90s. Love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah okay, so you have a history of not being impressed by the young male ingenues on the show? ;-)

Not really. I liked Joe Wicks and Sam Strike's Johnny and I like Ben and Jay.
    I found him far from boring and annoying but mainly because he was so integral to the best EE storyline ever, Saskia's murder.

That's a matter of opinion;-)
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was brilliant
  • Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi lovely OP,

I loved Joe and enjoyed Matthew on the show but I fear Scrabs may be right that he is best left in the past because he had a fantastic story and went out in a blaze of glory, they would only mess with the memory if they brought him back.

Besides that I think Joe has well and truly moved on and doubt he would return. ;-):)
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I havent heard about Joe Absolom in a long time.

Is he still Acting?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi lovely OP,

I loved Joe and enjoyed Matthew on the show but I fear Scrabs may be right that he is best left in the past because he had a fantastic story and went out in a blaze of glory, they would only mess with the memory if they brought him back.

Besides that I think Joe has well and truly moved on and doubt he would return. ;-):)

I agree that some things are better left in the past but I think there'd be a story to tell with the character of Matthew and how the events surrounding his time in Walford have now shaped the person he's become. It would have to be well written and that might be an issue for current EE but maybe if SOC gets the show feeling a bit more grounded again, it could be an idea.

As for Joe not returning,I'm not so sure. He's worked fairly steadily since EE but nothing that would really set an actor's heart racing: lots of TV work on the likes of Midsomer Murders, Doc Martin and Death In Paradise etc. I think if EE offered him a tempting paycheque he'd probably consider it now.