integrating tv, dvdr, digibox to HD quality

I've recently bought a HD digibox to complement an HD TV and DVD HDR, to replace a scart powered digibox which worked perfectly. TV has 2 x hdmi ports and the dvd and digibox each have one so (obviously?) I've connected the digibox to HDMI1 and the DVD to HDMI2. I have tried to record what I'm watching; on playback the dvd shows 'space' where it has stored the data but it is entirely blank, no data apparently recorded although the appropriate amount of time is logged. Itseems perhaps either the tv needs to be told where to send the data or the dvd needs to know where to find it. Any ideas please?
For info this isn't a Sky problem. I'm in Spain but pointing at the Astra birdie.

Comments

• hotdiggity1hotdiggity1 Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The digibox should be connected to the dvdr by scart and then you can record.

The HDMI connection is not as flexible as scart when it comes to recording etc because of copy protection.

You won't be able to send anything via HDMI to your recorder.

Your HDMI sockets are OUTPUTS only .
    The only place you'll find HDMI inputs are on amps and tv's
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    but surely then anything recorded via the scart lead is not HD and so defeats the point?
    Forum Member
    sorry, press 'send' too early. Tks for yrs, I didn't realise this point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    furoner wrote: »
    but surely then anything recorded via the scart lead is not HD and so defeats the point?

Exactly.
    Worries about copy protection mean its still not possible to get recording devices with HDMI inputs.

At the moment the only official way to transfer HD material to Bluray is on a Bluray recorder .
    Panasonic do these with Freeview and Freesat but there are also copy protection problems there and IIRC you can record ITV HD to your HDD but it wont let you copy to disc.

However , I'm sure there are more tech minded people out there who will know ways round this.

I can't see why there is any more worry about burning HD to Bluray than there was about burning sd to dvd - its all the same
    Forum Member
    If I had known this, I wouldn't have bought the HD digibox...ho hum !
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member

But a DVD recorder isn't HD anyway, so a SCART lead is pefectly fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had known this, I wouldn't have bought the HD digibox...ho hum !

LIke Nigel asks: how would you expect to record HD content on a dvd anyway?
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to record HD in HD you'll need a hdfury2 or 3, a Hauppauge HDPVR and a pc with a large hard disk. And probably a hdmi splitter.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member

As said, you can't record hd quality on a dvd recorder. it won't even know what to do with the signal, it would just freak out.
    To record hd you need either a htpc and custom software or a hd dvr. Anyways a dvd recorder lacks capacity for hd recording, would you really want to swap discs every 15 minutes or whatever?;)
  • NectarNectar Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I had known this, I wouldn't have bought the HD digibox

Why? Don't you actually like watching high definition TV, you just want to be able to record it?
    Forum Member
    If the dvd recorder isn't HD why has it a HDMI lead?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member

Upscaling (up to 1080) during playback of DVDs.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member

Basically in order to con people (like you) in to thinking it's HD.

But on a more practical note, SCART sockets are disappearing, and been replaced by HDMI - modern TV's don't have enough SCART sockets, so you need external equipment with HDMI outputs.

The upscaling is another con, your TV already upscales, and probably does a better job than a cheap DVD.
  • moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A HDMI lead can obviously output standard definition. They throw 'HDMI' in to fool people into thinking everything they watch will be in HD.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    You can only get HD Quality channels/content
    through the following equipment, as it has been mentioned so so many times

You will need a HD-Ready or Full HD-TV
    with a Freeview HD Tuner/Freeview HD Tuner inside as is sold today in shops
    or a Freeview HD/Freesat HD Box,
    plus a Sky HD/Virgin HD/V+ Box (Optional)
    and if you want to record TV
    then you will also need a Freeview HD+/Freesat+ Box,
    if you want to record from Freeview/Freesat,
    to watch Films in HD
    then you will need a DVD Upscaler Player/Recorder
    or better still a Blue-Ray Player/Recorder,
    also you will need a HDMI cables to link them all up,
    this is true HD

For 3D TV you will need the following
    plus a Home Cinema System (Optional) that has HDMI 1.4 Sockets on them
    launching soon and a 3D Blue-Ray Player
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to watch Films in HD
    this is true HD

As has been mentioned many times to your innaccurate posts please check your statements before posting.

A standard DVD player (even one that upscales) is totally incapable of giving true HD - only upscaled SD
    Forum Member
    As has been mentioned many times to your innaccurate posts please check your statements before posting.

A standard DVD player (even one that upscales) is totally incapable of giving true HD - only upscaled SD

I take it, only Blue-Ray Players and 3D Blue-Ray Players
    can output HD, so to watch Films in HD,
    you will need one of these
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    upscale is a fancy way of saying resize. That it happens earlier might give better quality, but it happens regardless, hdtvs have pixels, there are no inbetween pixels to work with, it gets upscaled by either the tv or the player. 5-6x times the detail is the difference hd vs sd, so a resized sd image is a far cry from hd.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new panasonic dvd recorder can record to its hdd in hd but not transfer the recording to dvd, for that you need its big brother with bluray recorder.
    Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmp wrote: »
    The new panasonic dvd recorder can record to its hdd in hd but not transfer the recording to dvd, for that you need its big brother with bluray recorder.
    Dave

Do you have a link to this Panasonic machine .
    Presumably it uses an inbuilt Freeview or Freesat tuner?

Last time I read up on it , even their Bluray recorders would not archive ITV1HD material due to copy protection issues
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Free to air HD pvr ready satellite boxes can record free to air HD satellite transmissions to a standard transport stream mpeg4 .ts file. A PC can record this either to standard DVD using AVCHD (about 40 mins on a dual layer DVD blank) and of course much longer if you are lucky enough to have a bluray burner. You need a bluray player to plsy the recording to a HD TV. A PS3 works fine. The twin tuner freesat foxsat-hdr can do the same in non-freesat mode and transfer the recording to an external usb drive formatted Linux EXT3.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can only get HD Quality channels/content
    through the following equipment, as it has been mentioned so so many times

You will need a HD-Ready or Full HD-TV
    with a Freeview HD Tuner/Freeview HD Tuner inside as is sold today in shops
    or a Freeview HD/Freesat HD Box,
    plus a Sky HD/Virgin HD/V+ Box (Optional)
    and if you want to record TV
    then you will also need a Freeview HD+/Freesat+ Box,
    if you want to record from Freeview/Freesat,
    to watch Films in HD
    this is true HD

For 3D TV you will need the following
    plus a Home Cinema System (Optional) that has HDMI 1.4 Sockets on them
    launching soon and a 3D Blue-Ray Player

I have to ask, do you have a narrow PC monitor or do you write such short sentances like this for any reason... it looks like you're writing a poem rather than typing across the full width provided by the forum reply window.

Just curious......
    Forum Member
    I have to ask, do you have a narrow PC monitor or do you write such short sentances like this for any reason... it looks like you're writing a poem rather than typing across the full width provided by the forum reply window.

Just curious......

No, I have a Widescreen 3D Ready monitor,
    the formatting is done by the bit I type in automatically,
    as I have said before in other forum posts,
    I hardly control the formatting

I hope I have answered your question
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still looks wierd and is hard to read. Anyway, if you want to record and archive HD material including sky movies HD, sky sports HD etc. the easiest way is an Hauppauge HD-PVR. You will also need a pc, an hdfury2/3, an hdmi splitter and a blu-ray writer for permanent copies. And some patience! Not cheap. But much more useful than a Panasonic blu-ray which can make one blu-ray of a film shown on BBC HD and none if it's shown on ITV HD.
    Forum Member
    webbie wrote: »
    Still looks wierd and is hard to read. Anyway, if you want to record and archive HD material including sky movies HD, sky sports HD etc. the easiest way is an Hauppauge HD-PVR. You will also need a pc, an hdfury2/3, an hdmi splitter and a blu-ray writer for permanent copies. And some patience! Not cheap. But much more useful than a Panasonic blu-ray which can make one blu-ray of a film shown on BBC HD and none if it's shown on ITV HD.

What is a hdfury2/3?

Thanks