Corrie - Bethany and Gary?! (from Daily Mail's Soapwatch)

Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone read Jaci Stephen's column in Daily Mail. Can be quite funny at times and a couple of weeks ago she wrote this -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3714937/Soapwatch-JACI-STEPHEN-s-ultimate-insight-week-s-soaps.html
Finally, I’ve got a suspicion the ducks are being lined up in a row to land Bethany with Gary. Good. They both deserve a break.

I thought surely she means Bethany and Craig and its a misprint? If anything, Gary and Sarah looked more likely after a couple of episodes recently but then her latest column says this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3749245/Soapwatch-JACI-STEPHEN-s-ultimate-insight-week-s-soaps.html
Lucy Fallon continues to deliver as troubled Bethany – bullied pupil, daughter of a sick mother and, this week, insecure teenager downing diet pills. When she collapses at the gym Gary’s there to help (we could all see this coming)

We could all see this coming? Did we?! Surely she is barking up the wrong tree here. Bethany's 14 or 15? Gary must be near 30. I just thought though as a soap journalist she might know some inside info of what upcoming, but am I right in thinking she seems totally wrong here?

Comments

• RickLopezRickLopez Posts: 14,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bethany's 16.

I think what's being lined up is a reliance of Bethany on Gary and a romantic interest between Gary and Sarah, and therefore the clash between mother and daughter over who gets him.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bethany falls for him but it won't be reciprocated.

I see potential in a Sarah / Gary pairing.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,888
    Forum Member
    I think it will be a case of Bethany seeing signals that aren't there from Gary and seeing him as her knight in shining armour. Especially when he
    Goes into Bethany's school to deal with the teachers over the bullying
    I fear she is going to see it as him being into her, when he is just being a concerned friend and neighbour. Either way her self esteem is going to take another battering. :(
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another Kate Oates pregnancy?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be a case of Bethany seeing signals that aren't there from Gary and seeing him as her knight in shining armour. Especially when he
    Goes into Bethany's school to deal with the teachers over the bullying
    I fear she is going to see it as him being into her, when he is just being a concerned friend and neighbour. Either way her self esteem is going to take another battering. :(

What on earth does it have to do with him?
    He's not even a relative, is he? I imagine they'd refuse to discuss anything, and then call the police.
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/22/coronation-street-spoilers-shock-romance-in-store-for-bethany-platt-and-gary-windass-6079979/

Looks like one way traffic to me!! My guess is Gary is just genuinely trying to be a friend but in typical Gary style it will no doubt end up all blowing up in his face!!
    Could eventually lead to a get together with Sarah though!! Like the idea of those two, though no doubt Izzy would whinge about it if that did happen as she did about Alya!!
  • MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    :o Mind the Age-Gap! Sarah and Gary would make more sense, but if they set it up as a cause for tension and rift between mother and daughter,, I'll once again be so disappointed in Corrie! :( Izzy is a struggle to empathize with ... Think she lacks familial ties on the street to give her relevance now?

Finding the whole notion of Steve Macdonald as romantic lothario inexplicable and completely implausible. Leanne must have truly been wearing some Epic Beer Goggles! :( Still, if it makes Nick flutter away. Could be worthwhile?! :)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it possibly end with Sarah and Bethany pregnant at the same time ... by Gary?
  • PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Could it possibly end with Sarah and Bethany pregnant at the same time ... by Gary?

Hopefully they don't Sarah just had Harry this year and for Bethany Sarah would be a grandmother at the age of 29. :o

Also I think we have enough pregnancies in Coronation Street as it is with both Leanne and Michelle.
  • SS_SummerSS_Summer Posts: 2,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine them doing anything romantic between Bethany and Gary, unless they want to ruin his character leading to an inevitable exit ala Martin Platt when he took up with a schoolgirl. I like the idea of Sarah and Gary though, and Bethany being jealous and struggling to accept him only being interested in her in a step-father figure type of way.
  • grangehilllovergrangehilllover Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they will have a romantic relationship. If anything, I think she will come to see him as a father figure because she's never had that really.
  • James_LanganJames_Langan Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    Bethany falls for him but it won't be reciprocated.

I see potential for Gary's head and a plumbing pipe wrench getting together.
  • PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »

I read in the latest All About Soap magazine:
    On Monday the 5th of September Sarah questions Gary about Bethany and on Wednesday the 7th of September Gary and Sarah bond over their mutual support for Bethany.

So it looks like it might be heading for a Gary/Sarah pairing in the future.