A Few Questions About The Show

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do the candidates get paid any money during the process? And if so, is it a fixed amount or based on tasks?

Does Alan Sugar keep the task profits?

Is The Apprentice final filmed at the same time as the rest of the series?

Comments

• CaptMcMallisterCaptMcMallister Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    cm1992 wrote: »
    Do the candidates get paid any money during the process? And if so, is it a fixed amount or based on tasks?

"And if you think that everyone on TV is making a fortune, it's worth noting that the candidates receive a very modest fee for their participation. A former candidate describes it as "Just about enough to pay the mortgage for the time you're away" - think less than £2,000 for eight or nine weeks in many cases.

However, get fired in the first week, and you're quids in - that's business nous, eh, Lord Sugar?"

From http://beta.radiotimes.com/news/2011-07-11/revealed-secrets-of-the-apprentice
    Is The Apprentice final filmed at the same time as the rest of the series?

"There's a long time between being picked to be on The Apprentice and appearing on You're Fired (or You're Hired) - in some cases more than a year. The current series was filmed in autumn 2010, and the candidates were selected months before that.

All candidates are bound by a confidentiality agreement that prohibits them from telling any more than a few nominated confidantes what they're up to. "I only told two people, my mum and dad. I didn't even tell my sister," explains Stuart Baggs, one of the class of 2010 and at 21, the youngest-ever candidate.

Successful candidates can be away from home, their job, friends and family filming the show for two months, so how do they keep the secret?

"I lied," says Baggs. "I said I'd gone to an oil rig to install communications gear, and didn't know how long I'd be away. Everyone has to come up with some sort of cover story." Other popular excuses include jury service and foreign aid work."

Again from http://beta.radiotimes.com/news/2011-07-11/revealed-secrets-of-the-apprentice
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Alan Sugar keep the task profits?

There are no profits from the tasks. The companies don't place real orders for products, they just give an indication of what they would order if they were going to order some.

This may not be true for products that the candidates don't make (the baby car seat in this series, for example), but Sugar wouldn't get the profits from that in any case. I'm not sure but, in truth, I find it hard to believe that any credible business person would allow someone they've only met briefly and who is a contestant on a TV programme to pitch for them, especially if it's an incredibly important pitch, like pitching to one of France's biggest retailers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    There are genuine profits from tasks that involve selling to the public (food, shopping centres, market stall etc). I expect the money just goes to the production company or else is given to the camdidates
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    There are genuine profits from tasks that involve selling to the public (food, shopping centres, market stall etc). I expect the money just goes to the production company or else is given to the camdidates

Oh, of course. Brain fart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    diary_room wrote: »

Although I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of time, those profits were wiped out by the unmentioned expenses (rent, machinery, transport etc....).
    Would expect the production company would get the money to set off against expenses/