Options

Sky line rental

2»

Comments

• Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that's not how I read it, that's why I said "BT do not set the price Openreach do", but let DragonQ. answer for him self I am sure that he will :)

Openreach set the wholesale price they sell to BT, Talk Talk, Sky, etc., they do not set the retail price, that is down to BT.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Openreach set the wholesale price they sell to BT, Talk Talk, Sky, etc., they do not set the retail price, that is down to BT.

that's what I said in a way:confused:.so what happened to rrp recommended retail price :confused:
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    that's what I said in a way:confused:.so what happened to rrp recommended retail price :confused:

Wasn't it banned years ago?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it banned years ago?.

don't know you tell me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just found this In 1998 the UK prohibited the placing of RRP on electrical goods, this restriction was lifted by the Competition Commission in February 2012 so who knows
  • Options
    racey43racey43 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    just found this In 1998 the UK prohibited the placing of RRP on electrical goods, this restriction was lifted by the Competition Commission in February 2012 so who knows
    I'm lost now :confused:
    :confused:I've no idea where this is going.
  • Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a little side note, if you only need the landline to link your Sky box up, Virgin Media offer line Rental Saver (12 months line rental) for £144 per year.

Also includes free weekend calls to 01, 02, 03, 0870 and Virgin Mobile numbers.

Plus basic 1571 included.

Plus free calls to Virgin Directory Enquiries on 118180

http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/about-virgin-media-fibre-optic/line-rental-saver.html
  • Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^^^^

P.s. But their chargeable calls tend to be more expensive so not generally worth it if you're a heavy user on your landline. On the flip side they offer packages that offer inclusive calls to all mobile networks, and also another package that gives you a monthly minute allowance to use on landline, mobile and international calls but obviously the package price can be costly.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that's what I said in a way:confused:

Yes, i know that's what you said, but it wasn't what DraqonQ said, who never mentioned Openreach, only that BT set their retail price so high, others can undercut it.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OFCOM should investigate line rental charges.

The prices are all so close it seems like a cartel, it's a bit galling paying about £16 a month for something that's been in the ground for nearly 30 years!

Can't wait to dump mine next month.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    OFCOM should investigate line rental charges.

The prices are all so close it seems like a cartel, it's a bit galling paying about £16 a month for something that's been in the ground for nearly 30 years!

Presumably all prices are similar as they are based on what OpenReach charge the telephone companies?.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably all prices are similar as they are based on what OpenReach charge the telephone companies?.

OpenReach wholesale charges have been going down, while retail rental has been going up.
  • Options
    kevj61kevj61 Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Just spent a while talking to Sky CS about this, and apparently the offer isn't available any more, and apparently was just a one-off for a limited period.
    The guy seemed to think that it ended a couple of months ago, but could re-appear at any time as an offer for specific individual users (under "My Offers" on My Sky.)
    :)

Bit strange. When I rang up to cancel my phone service with sky. They let me have 1/2 fibre for 12 months. But normal price line rental. So I said do you do line rental saver? Which they told me yes. I paided the £140.40 via c/card for the 12 months upfront. Billed as 'Sky subscription' on my statement. When I look on my sky bill online, Its shows up as 'Sky line rental discounted' (£15.40) having a CR next to it. Maybe I got in before they released the £1 increase in December.
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Sky are offering a 1 month free line rental offer for existing customer as I phoned up this evening to change my package and was offered this offer without asking for it!
  • Options
    Big JimBig Jim Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    kevj61 wrote: »
    I did the sky line rental saver last month. Had to pay £140.40 for the 12 months upfront. I think BT's is nearly £160. Sky do still do this offer but for some reason they don't like to advertise it.
    Just spent a while talking to Sky CS about this, and apparently the offer isn't available any more, and apparently was just a one-off for a limited period.
    The guy seemed to think that it ended a couple of months ago, but could re-appear at any time as an offer for specific individual users (under "My Offers" on My Sky.)
    :)

A year ago Uswitch signed me up to a very good deal with Sky, UK anytime phone calls for £5/month with free unlimited broadband "for not subscribing to Sky TV", and annual line rental. I phoned Sky on 19 Nov as my current contract expires in early December, and they offered me the annual line rental again. But said that it was being removed from their system the next day, so I had to renew on that day and lose the remainder of my current year if I wanted to pay another year in advance. But to compensate for this loss they offered to renew the £5/month deal for another year. Still a good deal, even if it cost me approx £7 in forfeited line rental!

Seems Sky sales may tell porkies about annual line rental, but it seems it is available if they think it is needed to retain a customer.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Big Jim wrote: »
    A year ago Uswitch signed me up to a very good deal with Sky, UK anytime phone calls for £5/month with free unlimited broadband "for not subscribing to Sky TV", and annual line rental. I phoned Sky on 19 Nov as my current contract expires in early December, and they offered me the annual line rental again. But said that it was being removed from their system the next day, so I had to renew on that day and lose the remainder of my current year if I wanted to pay another year in advance. But to compensate for this loss they offered to renew the £5/month deal for another year. Still a good deal, even if it cost me approx £7 in forfeited line rental!
    Seems Sky sales may tell porkies about annual line rental, but it seems it is available if they think it is needed to retain a customer.
    Well, what a coincidence eh, what are the chances of that?!
    :D
  • Options
    bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, what a coincidence eh, what are the chances of that?!
    :D

Well it's now gone from everyone's systems so not really a sales technique just some honesty from an advisor to help out a customer.

Don't always be so cynical!
  • Options
    listerlister Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoned Sky last week and got an offer for line rental at £9.99 a month for 10 months.

Also currently getting £20 a month off TV, which was offered a few months ago.