Options

On Demand downloads slow

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I would assume that On Demand is using the internet and not the tuners.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not only slow but you cant use it if recording two programs

Says who, have you actually tried it?

I can tell you, it does work, so stop posting misleading rubbish please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how as catch up records on to the hard drive , thought you could only rec two programs and watch something you had recorded with sky

You can only tune into 2 channels at a time through the dish (2 cables), on demand does not use the dish, and therefore does not need a tuner, it downloads straight to the hard drive through the internet.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,942
    Forum Member
    not only slow but you cant use it if recording two programs
    I suggest you get your box checked out urgently if you can't download something while you're making two recordings from satellite.
    :)
  • Options
    bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can only tune into 2 channels at a time through the dish (2 cables), on demand does not use the dish, and therefore does not need a tuner, it downloads straight to the hard drive through the internet.

This is my reasoning for thinking that the "lack of a 3rd tuner" does NOT matter on Sky, in fact with the biggest choice of catchup services and the biggest choice of +1 channels. That is why Sky if paired with fast enough broadband is easily better than cable.

In fact that sounds daft....both are equally good at allowing people to watch the best from a multitude of crap tv channels or all the programs from a few good tv channels.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member

but not as good as freesat as catch up streams so no waiting for it to download, and after you have watched it that's it, you don't have to go into planner to delete it . but Sky do believe in pressing more buttons on you remote than anyone else :D:D
  • Options
    DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted by self.
  • Options
    DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted by self.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but not as good as freesat as catch up streams so no waiting for it to download, and after you have watched it that's it, you don't have to go into planner to delete it . but Sky do believe in pressing more buttons on you remote than anyone else :D:D

And totally useless if you have a slow broadband speed, as you will have quality or buffering issues, at least Sky's version is available whatever your speed, and at the best quality.

As for more button presses, so what, not like i have to pick up a lead weight each time, if people are concerned about button presses, well, then they are just getting lazy.
  • Options
    mjrmjr Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted - bit too far off topic
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've moved to freesat from Sky and I think catch up on Sky is massively better than on freesat. If I used catch up a lot then that would be a reason to go back to Sky (one of many points con and pro) but since I almost never use it now or when I had Sky it's not a major issue.

The main advantages of the Sky system are generally better PQ, you download it and treat it much like a recorded program and no adverts, watching Channel 4 catch up on freetime is worse than watching live for adverts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    at least Sky's version is available whatever your speed, and at the best quality.
    Well not always as some posts in this and other threads have commented on.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    And totally useless if you have a slow broadband speed, as you will have quality or buffering issues, at least Sky's version is available whatever your speed, and at the best quality.

As for more button presses, so what, not like i have to pick up a lead weight each time, if people are concerned about button presses, well, then they are just getting lazy.

but I don't have slow broadband just checked it ping 8ms 60.8 Mbps Download & 8.6 Mbps upload so for me streaming is better than waiting for Sky. and no I don't like pressing buttons any more than I have to, do you always join the longest queue in a bank or shop just so it takes longer to get what you want
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    but I don't have slow broadband just checked it ping 8ms 60.8 Mbps Download & 8.6 Mbps upload so for me streaming is better than waiting for Sky.

ping is irrelevant for this, and at 60Mbit/s you won't have to wait more than a few seconds before Sky starts playing. On a fast line there's no difference between Sky's approach and streaming, and on a slow line (like mine) you can get Sky when you can't stream, so Sky's model is win-win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I've noticed an issue with the download speed of on demand recently, not sure if it's since the update but we have 100meg Virgin broadband which is clocking at about 50 on my WiFi. The sky 2 terabyte box is wired to the router but just recently it takes ages to download particularly when downloading from the iplayer. I started downloading last night's Strictly in HD for my daughter at about 6pm and it's still only on 89%. It told me it was available to view at about 8.30.

Netflix, YouTube and Amazon instant are both working fine.
    I've tried rebooting the box and the router. Any ideas?
  • Options
    BigBadJimmyBigBadJimmy Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    willlou wrote: »
    I've noticed an issue with the download speed of on demand recently, not sure if it's since the update but we have 100meg Virgin broadband which is clocking at about 50 on my WiFi. The sky 2 terabyte box is wired to the router but just recently it takes ages to download particularly when downloading from the iplayer. I started downloading last night's Strictly in HD for my daughter at about 6pm and it's still only on 89%. It told me it was available to view at about 8.30.

I have found similar. On Demand downloads have always been available to watch almost instantaneously but, in the last fortnight or so, they have been reeeeeally slow. My circumstances are very similar to you as well.
  • Options
    me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I downloaded an old top gear on my PC desktop iPlayer and this was downloading at 10 Meg on a 60 Meg virgin connection, so it maybe the servers the BBC has for these programs.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm on the XXXXL or whatever virgin broadband and my main skybox is sat about 3 inches from my superhub and noticed yesterday early morning it was taking ages to download stuff. when I downloaded stuff before it was much quicker, so it doesn't seem to be a problem at your end. I would have thought early sunday would be a relatively quiet time for on demand users
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slow for me today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't suppose any people with slow downloads use VPN/DNS-rerouting services? I do and wondered if that may be affecting it.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the download speed debate, we have Virgin 50 Mb and wifi connection and the hub is in another room but we do NOT have the new software yet.

Just downloaded a one hour HD show. It was available to view virtually by the time I put the remote down in front of me and fully loaded within 20/25 minutes or so.

Not sure if that is evidence of the new software creating a problem as without it this seems as speedy as I could ever expect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    It's not just iplayer. Monster House in HD has been downloading from Sky Movies for the last hour and a half. It's now at 99% and still hasn't given the option to start watching.

Until recently everything was pretty instantaneous. I've tried rebooting both again, a planner rebuild and deleting the programmes in the deleted folder. I'm just not sure it wasn't going a bit slow before the update and am a bit loath to roll back to check.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've mentioned before that it's intermittent.

I'm on Virgin 50mb and over the weekend I downloaded Pointless and Top Gear and they were very quick downloads.

Last week I had problems downloading a couple of films.

It just seems to be random when the servers / service will work smoothly or not.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,942
    Forum Member
    It's not just iplayer. Monster House in HD has been downloading from Sky Movies for the last hour and a half. It's now at 99% and still hasn't given the option to start watching.
    That has to be an anomaly, it should have reported ready to watch long before then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    That has to be an anomaly, it should have reported ready to watch long before then.

I had a similar issue last week, although a planner rebuild fixed that.

Re. the software update: I noticed slow downloads before I received the new software. Not sure that I've tested it since though.